Goose call question

Honk!

Goose call question

Postby Throbbin Rods » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:58 am

Looking for some thoughts and suggestions for a new goose call. I have blown my Olt 800 for around 35 years. I tend to call aggressively, lots of quick honks, breaking from the low tone to the high tone very quickly. Lots of gander whines, some moans when they are in close, and just fast excited calling when they start to go away. I have had great luck calling geese over the last 30 years but I keep thinking I want an acrylic call. While I was in Arkansas recently I blew a few goose calls they had at Mack's. Couldn't get a sound out of any of them that was anywhere near goose like to my ears. Don't know if I just didn't have enough wind, or I over blew, or what? I tried Zink, Rich n Tone, Tim Grounds, Riceland and about everything else they had. Any thoughts or suggestions? Stick with what I have?
Thanks,
Bill
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Goose call question

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:40 am

Try one of them CCC ones. You might like it since they're sort of born from Olt in a way. Look at where Gary P is from and imagine where he might have gotten help. Don't take long to figure it out.
Hint: Illinois River
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:34 pm

I'd think the problem is that you're accustomed to resonant cavity goose calls and took your first crack at short reed goose calls. (Which I'm pretty sure AB's CCC is, too.) DJ Calls is still making what you're used to, but if you're just wanting something different, most seem to find the transition from resonant cavity to flute type calls, like the Eastern Shoreman, easier than to short reeds.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Rick wrote:I'd think the problem is that you're accustomed to resonant cavity goose calls and took your first crack at short reed goose calls. (Which I'm pretty sure AB's CCC is, too.) DJ Calls is still making what you're used to, but if you're just wanting something different, most seem to find the transition from resonant cavity to flute type calls, like the Eastern Shoreman, easier than to short reeds.

My first goose calls were olt a-50's which were hard to use for a hobbit-sized guy. I could make a honk and a cluck but putting a string together...rofl. I could double-cluck a little then run out of air.
Of course when I got onto a better call it seemed a whole lot easier.
Hanging out with guides and listening to them helped a lot.

All we got is Canada geese here. In 40 years I've seen a handful of snows and one flock of them once. Specks? There were three of them flying around one day with our Canadas. Wish it were different.

Try a few good goose calls because nowdays omg they are so much better.
Does anyone else remember blowing on (duck) calls that had reed reeds? Oh God those sucked.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 pm

I, too, started my Canada hunting with resonant cavity calls, albeit not Olt. Callin' made my favorite, but Glen Scobys ruled our area's roost. Also won a bet tolling our limits of resident Canadas with a squeeze bulb bicycle horn, so I'm not one to argue that it takes much more than a good sense of timing and cadence to do the trick.

Didn't try a short-reed Canada call until Richardsons invaded LA in huntable numbers, but wowza what an improvement in versatility.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:40 pm

Rick wrote:won a bet tolling our limits of resident Canadas with a squeeze bulb bicycle horn

We gotta hear this story some time
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:03 pm

Not much to it. Was browsing a neighbor's garage sale with my ex- when I picked up an old bicycle horn marked 25¢ and gave it a toot that sounded enough like a Canada cluck that I bought it on whim. Bet my usual partner, one of the Glenn Scoby faithful, it would do as well and won that bet by calling our birds with it next time out. Then did it again the following morning, but felt disrespectful using the horn and don't recall what came of it.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Now use a short-reed Canada call for blues and some specks - another miscarriage of convention.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:02 pm

Rick wrote:Now use a short-reed Canada call for blues and some specks - another miscarriage of convention.

and a speck call to draw woodies
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:49 pm

That, too. And sometimes as a speck call to break pintail flights...
Rick

Return to Goose Hunting Forum