Early goose opener

Honk!

Early goose opener

Postby Throbbin Rods » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:24 am

Headed to a favorite spot this morning solo, parked in my buddy's yard and launched the canoe over the bank. He has seen them all summer, they foul his lawn and chase his grand kids around so he wants me to kill them all. I got set up and was in my blind at 5am. Sat and pondered all of the opening days I have experienced in my 62 years. Came to the conclusion that I am a very lucky man to have seen the sun come up on so many beautiful places.
No birds flying, no birds dying, so goes today. I know they are rotating through there so I will be hitting it every day until they show.
Io toggled up a goose shell on top of the battery powered swimming mallard Karen bought me 2 or 3 years ago. Worked awesome! Even fooled me 3 times when I would be looking in a different direction and started to turn back only to catch the swimming motion and ripples out the corner of my eye and freeze! then realized it was my own creation.
Sat from 5AM to 10AM, then headed home for hot tea and soon a nap!
same time, same channel tomorrow
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Early goose opener

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:41 am

Throbbin Rods wrote:...only to catch the swimming motion and ripples out the corner of my eye and freeze! then realized it was my own creation...

Most of the adrenaline and none of the cleaning bother, plus you were able to do it to yourself.
Rick

Postby Throbbin Rods » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Ayuh!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby don novicki » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:40 am

Great to be out again and saw a lot of birds but didn't bring any to bag. Here in the smallest zone anywhere in the USA, NW Pa. zone we get 1, yes one, uno,bird per day, but less than 10 miles away the rest of the state gets 8/day. They tell us that we primarily hunt the Southern James Bay population of geese (which is a lie, based on the PGC's own data) while the rest of the state hunts the "Resident Population". However you slice it, here in the NW zone we are grabbing our ankles and saying thanks may I have another..........
don novicki

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:30 am

On the bright side, you were just one shy of a limit, instead of eight short.
Rick

Postby don novicki » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:42 am

Very true Rick. When you look at it like that it isn't so bad......................
don novicki

Return to Goose Hunting Forum