The skunk is off!

Honk!

The skunk is off!

Postby Throbbin Rods » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:46 am

Headed up on the Connecticut River with a friend yesterday. There was no shortage of birds in the air. We were able to take a goose each . Most flocks appeared to be local birds but after a long lull I called in a single and shot it, and immediately a flock of easily 80-90 birds got up about 800 yards upriver and flew. I'm thinking those are the first migrants to the area.
We had out 6 floaters in various head configurations and a battery powered swimmer right on the bank of the river. I think the swimmer brought most of the groups for a second pass, but it was a bluebird day and not enough wind to put much action in the decoys.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: The skunk is off!

Postby Deltaman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:01 am

You got to spend a morning over decoys with a friend, and killed dinner! Good stuff TR, and glad you started the season off with a win :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 am

I'm thinking that one goose is all I'd want to pick. Been my experience that shooting to many can spoil a day.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 am

Glad you finally got into them.

Rick wrote:I'm thinking that one goose is all I'd want to pick. Been my experience that shooting to many can spoil a day.

One goose is more than I want to pick. Filet out the breasts and take the leg quarters. :thumbsup:

The breasts you can do all kinds of things with. The 4 I got last week are a mix of hot italian sausage and smoked jalapeno bologna.

The leg quarters will go in the crock pot with a coating of rib rub and are cooked until they fall off the bone. Then are eaten like pulled pork. I normally put it over rice with with some BBQ sauce.

Didn't take that long to process all 4. :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am

He's talking about specks. Canada geese get made into jerky here. They're just not like a nice white-fronted goose.
You should shoot, pick, and bake one.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 am

aunt betty wrote:He's talking about specks. Canada geese get made into jerky here. They're just not like a nice white-fronted goose.
You should shoot, pick, and bake one.

I have to shoot one first, which would actually require me to see one first when they are legal to shoot. :lol:

Rods better not have shot a speck :mrgreen:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:14 pm

My mom could make a Canada in a baking bag taste like good roast beef. But most of mine because BBQ sandwiches.
Rick

Return to Goose Hunting Forum