Help to protect my hands during cold weather

Honk!

Re: Help to protect my hands during cold weather

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 am

When I did a lot of layout hunts I used hot hands religiously. It's Illinois where the ground freezes where you use a drill to put out your decoys.
Get gloves big enough to where you can put a hot hands in each glove. I always wore a flannel shirt with two breast pockets. Put hot hands in them along with a pair of them in your front pants pocket. Maybe sit on them too.
There were hunts where I used 4 or 5 packs.

They really should design some clothes with pockets in very specific places. (for hot hands)
Put one set of pockets just under your armpit on each side. Another set on the inside of each leg. (groin area)
The idea is to heat the blood going to your extremities. It works!
You can extend one of them miserable hunts long enough to get your birds. Many times in this area you have to sit thru a nasty storm to kill the easy birds. Any other time is a waste of time in general.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby don novicki » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:26 am

I have a condition called Raynaud's which causes my hands to become extremely cold, turn white and the my fingernails become cyanotic. It is a circulation problem which will resolve itself as long as you can warm them up again. I have tried almost every kind of glove out there and none of them work. If you are looking for gloves to put out decoys there is only 1 glove that is waterproof and will keep your hands dry: Atlas 460. This is the glove that they use on deadliest catch so if it works for them it will work for you. There is no way I would pay 100+ for a pair of Sitka gloves. Is their stuff that good? Unfortunately cold feet and hands are part for the course of the duck hunter.
don novicki

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:44 am

Zippo handwarmers.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 am

Rick wrote:Zippo handwarmers.

Tried and true, old school :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Throbbin Rods » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:29 am

I too have Raynauds. I buy the body sized throw away hand warmers by the case because those are the only thing that can keep my hands warm. I will be looking into the link in the first post for sure. Doc says sometimes if you keep your hands in cold water for long periods of time at home and wherever that it can sometimes help. There are also meds that are available which I will be trying this winter..
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Throbbin Rods » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:33 am

Anyone know if you can get the Atlas 460 in other colors than orange?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Big T » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:51 pm

I’ve hunted in Montana, Utah, & in Midwest and have kept hands warm during the hunt with no gloves—- just a good, insulated hand warmer pouch with 2 big hand warmers. I wear gloves of course while traveling & setting up & breaking down.
Big T

Return to Goose Hunting Forum