Snow geese shot size??

Honk!

Snow geese shot size??

Postby Bowjoe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Me and my 12 year old son are going on our first goose hunt together were both shooting Moss 500 with Mod choke whats a good 3" shot size for us I was told by a few to use BB especially for my son it might be a little easier for him.. Any imput would be helpfull..
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff..
Big Guys Best Pro Staff..
Bowjoe

Re: Snow geese shot size??

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:34 am

BB's are a good choice or even 1's will work good.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby jehler » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:40 am

Bow I have never shot a snow goose so I can't offer any personal experience. I have been told that they are the whimps of the goose world though and come down a lot easier than Canada's. to help figure out ht shot size call the guide and ask him what hind of ranges he expects you'll be shooting at. The smaller shot you can get away with the more pellets you will have in your pattern. All depends on range, would be worth your whole to shoot some patterns before you go as well
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:03 am

jehler wrote:Bow I have never shot a snow goose so I can't offer any personal experience. I have been told that they are the whimps of the goose world though and come down a lot easier than Canada's. to help figure out ht shot size call the guide and ask him what hind of ranges he expects you'll be shooting at. The smaller shot you can get away with the more pellets you will have in your pattern. All depends on range, would be worth your whole to shoot some patterns before you go as well

X2 ask the guide for typical ranges. I only use #2 for canadas all season, but he may have you taking passing shots if the birds arent cooperating.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bowjoe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:52 am

He just wrote me back he sez he recommends BB as well.. Now my sons gun only holds 3" mine will accomadate 3 1/2 would I be better with 3 1/2 or is 3" fine ??
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff..
Big Guys Best Pro Staff..
Bowjoe

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:35 pm

3 is fine, as well as 2 3/4. When I field goose hunt for canadas I use whatever I have laying around as its easy shots and close. Canadas are much more heartier than snows also. You will always has those crazies reccommending T shot and bigger. Unless you are taking 50+ yard shots I would sacrifice density for range. BB is way more than enough.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:19 am

Bowjoe wrote:He just wrote me back he sez he recommends BB as well.. Now my sons gun only holds 3" mine will accomadate 3 1/2 would I be better with 3 1/2 or is 3" fine ??

I can tell you from experience 3" will work on snows just fine but I wouldn't go with 2 3/4's. snow are easier to take down then Canada's but snows are also smarter then Canada's and are tough to decoy,the avarege snow is 7 years old and has been around the block a few times. Most shots I would assume would be 40 yds and if it was me I would go with 3 1/2" just to be safe. :thumbsup:
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:55 am

Bootlipkiller wrote:
Bowjoe wrote:He just wrote me back he sez he recommends BB as well.. Now my sons gun only holds 3" mine will accomadate 3 1/2 would I be better with 3 1/2 or is 3" fine ??

I can tell you from experience 3" will work on snows just fine but I wouldn't go with 2 3/4's. snow are easier to take down then Canada's but snows are also smarter then Canada's and are tough to decoy,the avarege snow is 7 years old and has been around the block a few times. Most shots I would assume would be 40 yds and if it was me I would go with 3 1/2" just to be safe. :thumbsup:

Understandable on the decoy smartness, but typically 2 3/4 shells only have 1/16th less shot in them with the same amount of speed. Main reason I dont buy 2 3/4 is bcause they arent any cheaper. Shoot what you are comfortable with.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby dog walker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:30 am

I used to use 3.5" BB in years past but I've also killed the occasional snow that sneaks in while duck hunting with #3's.

The past few years me and some friends have been making a spring conservation hunt and all I use is 3" BB. With the right choke I have no problems dispatching birds in reasonable ranges and a LITTLE beyond with a 12 gauge.

The guide we use and all of his guides shoot kent 3" 1 1/8oz 1's at 1550 fps. I've talked to them and they are very pleased with the performance of those loads.

For this years trip I loaded some 3" 1 1/4oz BB,B and 1's all in the 1470-1500 fps range. This will be the first goose trip with my reloads so I hope the geese atleast give me a chance to try them out.
dog walker

Postby hunter1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:34 pm

I use #2 3 inch Hevi Metal for snow geese. Out to 45 yards they work great. The closer you get them the better, but sometimes they can be hard to coax in.
hunter1

Return to Goose Hunting Forum