Sixty-three days

Honk!

Sixty-three days

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:57 pm

In just sixty-three more days I'll either goose or goose egg.
Last year my pup was too small and inexperienced or his first retrieve would have been a Canada goose.
Maybe this year.
Maybe not.
50:50 (patent pending) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Re: Sixty-three days

Postby PorkChop » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:10 pm

45 days and a wake up if we have the normal 15 Aug opener. Rarely hunt it anymore but if I find something good the kids and I will be out there. I personally hate the 15 August opener!! I think it needs to be moved back to September 1st like it used to be. More birds would be killed here but what do I know??
PorkChop

Postby plainsman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 pm

I don't concentrate on cobra chickens until the water is froze...then it's go time on those evil bastages :D
plainsman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:54 am

I will find out I was banned from Clinton Lake over failure to report on a system that failed to work.
I couldn't report. TRIED FOR DAYS.
I will burn it all down if they ban me.
The Piattt County jail was built around 1860.
My new home.

I got out of Walker County Alabama without arrest but was asked to NEVER RETURN.
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:49 am

If you aren't banned, maybe I can tag along again.

I am completely overwhelmed at work right now, but several things end at the end of August, so either I got it done or I failed. Either way, I will be ready for a break.

Maybe this year I can actually kill some form of waterfowl in the state of Illinois after last years most unbelievable collapse for me. I think I said I DNS the entire season, but I looked through my logs. I did fire one errant shot at some passing geese that I actually would not have shot at if not for hunting with two guys that had never shot a goose. One of them did manage to bring their first down.

It was also the first goose for their dog as well. The dog did it's job hunting the shoreline for the cripple. But when that big ass goose hopped out in the water, the dog swam back to its master :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although, I finished off the cripple, so I guess I can't say I did not killed a goose last year :roll:
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:29 am

SpinnerMan wrote:If you aren't banned, maybe I can tag along again.

I am completely overwhelmed at work right now, but several things end at the end of August, so either I got it done or I failed. Either way, I will be ready for a break.

Maybe this year I can actually kill some form of waterfowl in the state of Illinois after last years most unbelievable collapse for me. I think I said I DNS the entire season, but I looked through my logs. I did fire one errant shot at some passing geese that I actually would not have shot at if not for hunting with two guys that had never shot a goose. One of them did manage to bring their first down.

It was also the first goose for their dog as well. The dog did it's job hunting the shoreline for the cripple. But when that big ass goose hopped out in the water, the dog swam back to its master :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although, I finished off the cripple, so I guess I can't say I did not killed a goose last year :roll:

Sure. You can help pick up the spread. I've got 2 dozen floaters I flocked. Millet is bigger than Milo and more civilized except for he might pee on the bow. He started doing it in Timber.
Any geese will be just flybys they use one side of the lake or the other. 50:50. I killed geese in the same spot we used.
Ricky Spanish

Postby don novicki » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:18 pm

Don't do the Sep season anymore. Too hot and the geese are fickle. I'll wait til cold weather, which now doesn't come until Dec..
don novicki

Postby PorkChop » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:43 pm

Hard to believe 12 days and they wake up now.
PorkChop

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:06 pm

don novicki wrote:Don't do the Sep season anymore. Too hot and the geese are fickle. I'll wait til cold weather, which now doesn't come until Dec..

September is cast and blast time.

Topwater fishing before the sun comes up. Usually good fishing. Mostly largemouth, occasional pike or bowfin.

Goose hunting is usually feast or famine.

If it is really slow, well I can fishing longer :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:13 pm

I have to take my puppy and try.
Last year he was like "no way" on the first honker he ever saw up close.
This year I bet he can at least drag it over.
He's up to about 90# now.

They do weird things on that couch.
Resized_20220802_141408.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby plainsman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:47 pm

got this COD on the way.....might get the Alpha later.....https://www.refugeforums.com/attachment ... pg.348842/
plainsman

Postby Pennydog1 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:39 pm

good looking calls ,are they for hunting or collecting?i use a zink money maker ,good sounding call
Pennydog1

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:11 pm

If I do Mac Mcgee for the opener that's one that you carry everything a long ass way to the goosey hole.
May do that. Nobody else is dumb enough and it's a sure thing pretty much at #6.
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:19 pm

plainsman wrote:got this COD on the way.....might get the Alpha later.....https://www.refugeforums.com/attachment ... pg.348842/

Didn’t hit the link. Done with the double standards of the mods there. Can’t remember what Zink call I bought my daughter but it was a good sounding call.
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:30 pm

PorkChop wrote:
plainsman wrote:got this COD on the way.....might get the Alpha later.....https://www.refugeforums.com/attachment ... pg.348842/

Didn’t hit the link. Done with the double standards of the mods there. Can’t remember what Zink call I bought my daughter but it was a good sounding call.

It's bait.
At DHC it's a paddlin to post a link to this site.
:lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby plainsman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:21 pm

Pennydog1 wrote:good looking calls ,are they for hunting or collecting?i use a zink money maker ,good sounding call

This particular call will be for collecting....Quality zink calls are getting rare...gonna stock up for future
plainsman

Postby plainsman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:23 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

It's bait.
At DHC it's a paddlin to post a link to this site.

but all you do is pad...FACT!! :qh:...just like at the fuge...quantity over quality.... :thumbsup:
plainsman

Postby plainsman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:30 pm

Pennydog1 wrote:good looking calls ,are they for hunting or collecting?i use a zink money maker ,good sounding call

I haven't had a moneymaker sent in for tuning yet....but zink ,as a whole, makes good calls....COD and NOS are both good lanyard calls....had a NBN ,,,,,didn't think much of it
plainsman

Postby Pennydog1 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:38 pm

have a friend who collects wood single note calls glen scoby jim blakemore and ken martin he says they are getting hard to find and the price has gone way up on them for collecting thats fine but for hunting i like acrylic.
Pennydog1

Postby plainsman » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:27 am

Pennydog1 wrote:have a friend who collects wood single note calls glen scoby jim blakemore and ken martin he says they are getting hard to find and the price has gone way up on them for collecting thats fine but for hunting i like acrylic.

I prefer acrylic for duck...but would rather use delrin over water for geese. In stubble, I like acrylic for volume and "crack" for honkers...but really like hedge for a finisher....the last 200yd....better smoother tone....delrin works great as well!
plainsman

Postby plainsman » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:33 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:At DHC it's a paddlin to post a link to this site.

how would you know...you've been punted from there for years :lol: :lol: :lol:
plainsman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:05 am

This is different.
"Leap second"?
They discovered the earth is spinning faster.
Probably due to p and j emitting so much hot air online. :lol:
June 29 they discovered the day was 1.59 milliseconds short.
The shortest day on record. lol
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:09 am

plainsman wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:At DHC it's a paddlin to post a link to this site.

how would you know...you've been punted from there for years :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really ain't shit until you've been banned from a couple waterfowl sites.
Would you like a list of members that started second accounts ?
Go to the shindig and ask about that. :scooter:
I think you'd be surprised.
Ricky Spanish

Postby plainsman » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:18 am

Pennydog1 wrote:have a friend who collects wood single note calls glen scoby jim blakemore and ken martin he says they are getting hard to find and the price has gone way up on them for collecting thats fine but for hunting i like acrylic.

he's right....those are getting harder to find and $$$$ are definitely going up on them. Some calls have found a cult-like following and go for top $$ right from new. Personally, I think the wood calls will retain more value over the years from a collectors view. I have no issue selling/trading acrylics, but getting me to sell a wood is a different story. :beer:
plainsman

Postby Pennydog1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:42 am

i hear ya ive got several old wood calls even my first call when i was11 ,an old lohman i wouldnt trade that call for 10acrylics too much sentiment,there
Pennydog1

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:23 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:You really ain't shit until you've been banned from a couple waterfowl sites.

Damn. I ain't shit then. :lol:

I only got reprimanded once on any site like this. I couldn't figure out what I did. Harsh words, but no explanation. Asked what I did. Hey, it's your site, your rules. I just need an effing clue what I did. Never got an explanation just yelled at.

I linked to a video showing how to clean gar in response to someone's question on bowfishing and how to clean gar.

My offense, that I learned later was that the video I linked to was on a site of a guy that the guy that ran the site I linked from hated and they had a long bad history. Truck windows smashed and all. :o

So the unstated policy I violated is that you can post links, but not links to sites of guy's I hate :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:17 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:You really ain't shit until you've been banned from a couple waterfowl sites.

Damn. I ain't shit then. :lol:

I only got reprimanded once on any site like this. I couldn't figure out what I did. Harsh words, but no explanation. Asked what I did. Hey, it's your site, your rules. I just need an effing clue what I did. Never got an explanation just yelled at.

I linked to a video showing how to clean gar in response to someone's question on bowfishing and how to clean gar.

My offense, that I learned later was that the video I linked to was on a site of a guy that the guy that ran the site I linked from hated and they had a long bad history. Truck windows smashed and all. :o

So the unstated policy I violated is that you can post links, but not links to sites of guy's I hate :lol:

All you gotta do is speculate about current events and make up a scenario that just one member is offended by.
You get reported and to shut the guy up you get banned for 2 weeks.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:43 am

Baby...

It's cold outside
Screenshot_20220810-044151_Weather.jpg

Three more weeks
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:23 pm

Three more weeks.
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:31 pm

I was out doing some mowing last night. Seemed like fresh swan feathers where I want to see geese. Heard some geese at sunset but didn't see any. Not the best I could hope for, but at least there seem to be a few in the area. Doesn't take many in September. They just aren't very bright that time of year.

The long range forecast isn't great, but not bad either. Of course, those forecasts are good for about the next 2 days but the afternoon rains on September 1st should get a few geese moving :lol:
SpinnerMan

Next

Return to Goose Hunting Forum