Snow Goose Calls

Honk!

Snow Goose Calls

Postby PorkChop » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:29 pm

What is your favorite? I want to get the kids started so right now lower costing ones would be preferable till they get it down.
PorkChop

Re: Snow Goose Calls

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:37 am

PorkChop wrote:What is your favorite? I want to get the kids started so right now lower costing ones would be preferable till they get it down.

Neat idea: with your crew, you could have surround sound. But I've not heard what I thought a good inexpensive snow call, just some high end ones that do really good ground sounds. Always voice called in my white-spreading years, and just clucked like crazy on a high pitched Canada call more recently.
Rick

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:03 am

i really never had a whole lot of chances at snow geese except for my one and only texas hunt in 1990 i bought a tim grounds snow call,the problem for me was it was so small maybe two and a half inches i couldnt work it to get it down good,
Pennydog1

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:10 am

I did snow goose hunting as long as I could stand it.
We used rigged car stereos and cd's I burned on my computer. I just yesterday destroyed that pc and did an HRC on the hard drive.
Smashed it good.
Calls? Uhhh. I'm so sick of that noise.
I could only take about 8 weeks of it.
Went home...washed my hands. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 pm

Rick wrote:
PorkChop wrote:What is your favorite? I want to get the kids started so right now lower costing ones would be preferable till they get it down.

Neat idea: with your crew, you could have surround sound. But I've not heard what I thought a good inexpensive snow call, just some high end ones that do really good ground sounds. Always voice called in my white-spreading years, and just clucked like crazy on a high pitched Canada call more recently.

Surround sound for sure!! I wish when I was younger I put more energy into practicing snow and speck calling
PorkChop

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:03 pm

Did you have many, or any, specks and snows then?
Rick

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:32 pm

Rick wrote:Did you have many, or any, specks and snows then?

Nope. I grew up in CT. Had the occasional snow pass through. I remember hearing an odd goose one time when I was a kid. When I got stationed in Alaska I realized that odd goose was a speck. We had plenty of specks in Alaska but they came into the Canada decoys. Still should have bought a speck call then.

In regards to snows I don’t think I sound too bad but the snows don’t seem to like it ha ha. Of course that’s probably just Snowgeese being Snowgeese. Most of my hunting for them is in the spring and I use electronic calls for that which is what probably has contributed to my laziness.

But I have always been of the attitude it’s never too late to learn.
PorkChop

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:44 pm

your absolutly right pc i have many calls of different birds ive hunted. i went crane hunting in oklahoma and got a call for that ez to use and made it that much more fun being able to bring them in cause theyre tough birds to begin with it is never too late to learn a call.
Pennydog1

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:49 pm

This guy makes it seem too easy

PorkChop

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:54 pm

Pennydog1 wrote:your absolutly right pc i have many calls of different birds ive hunted. i went crane hunting in oklahoma and got a call for that ez to use and made it that much more fun being able to bring them in cause theyre tough birds to begin with it is never too late to learn a call.

I love cranes!! Less than 2 months and we will be hunting them!
PorkChop

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:03 pm

i agree awsome birds i look foward to our trip to oklahoma every year i mounted 2 stuffer decoys and use them on dry days they work really well .but you have to be careful if you use a dog to retrieve them ,
Pennydog1

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:12 pm

Thankfully my previous black labs never had a problem with them. They both knew how to take the cranes down from behind if they happened to still be alive which was very rare. Conditions this way were less than favorable last fall and we never got out after them so interested to see what my Chessie will do.
PorkChop

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:32 pm

Would not mind having some crane stuffers. Right now I use Deceptions and SX fullbodies.
PorkChop

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:37 pm

i do tdermy for a hobby so it was a no brainer to make a couple im sure your decoys work fine but theres something about a stuffer that seems to get their attention and fool them.
Pennydog1

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:40 pm

Pennydog1 wrote:i do tdermy for a hobby so it was a no brainer to make a couple im sure your decoys work fine but theres something about a stuffer that seems to get their attention and fool them.

You’ll get no disagreement from me! If I could run all stuffers on everything I hunt I surely would!
PorkChop

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:45 pm

Of course I use to kill them over these silhouettes all two of them! Definitely did not need to buy full bodies but as a waterfowler I know you understand that we feel the need to spend money even when it’s not necessary!

C53E8915-4D27-46F6-A44F-F3DD1E82943C.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
PorkChop

Postby PorkChop » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:46 pm

For whatever dumb reason when your picture is too big and you have to choose a smaller size it always makes it sideways
PorkChop

Postby Pennydog1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:24 pm

waterfowl hunting accessories seem to never end every year something new comes out to buy but i bet you had a great time when you shot birds over something you made like your 2 sillouhetts we dont need the equipment were just obsessed with the sport
Pennydog1

Return to Goose Hunting Forum