snow/blue/ross question

Honk!

snow/blue/ross question

Postby Goldfish » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:03 pm

I've never been snow goose hunting. Up in Canada was the first time I've ever even really seen them (never got a shot at one). 3leg posted this:
3legged_lab wrote:Turns out the damn rookie shot an eagle head Ross with a band. I read somewhere that that bird, not counting the band, is statistically the rarest waterfowl you can legally take in the United States. Don't know if that's true, but it sounds good.

What is the difference about an eagle head bird? I didn't think it was that rare to see blues with a white head if that is what he's talking about. What is the overall difference in the birds?

(obviously, snows are white and blues are gray, I got that much, lol)
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: snow/blue/ross question

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Eagle head is just a nick name for blues. A blue phase snow is not uncommon in some flyways but they are uncommon on the west coast. From what I hear a blue phase Ross is uncommon everywhere.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby obxbufflehead » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Eagle head is just a nick name for blues. A blue phase snow is not uncommon in some flyways but they are uncommon on the west coast. From what I hear a blue phase Ross is uncommon everywhere.

Blues are also uncommon on the east coast too. But in the central flyways, they are everywhere.

Damn I should have gotten that blue I shot in Mississippi mounted.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Olly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Funny this thread popped up I shot one here in MI this morning. My first and Prolly last one. Hope it taste good :lol:

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby obxbufflehead » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Olly wrote:Funny this thread popped up I shot one here in MI this morning. My first and Prolly last one. Hope it taste good :lol:

Sent using Tapatalk

First what? Snow?
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Olly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:14 pm

obxbufflehead wrote:
Olly wrote:Funny this thread popped up I shot one here in MI this morning. My first and Prolly last one. Hope it taste good :lol:

Sent using Tapatalk

First what? Snow?

Blue
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby obxbufflehead » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Olly wrote:
obxbufflehead wrote:

Sent using Tapatalk

First what? Snow?

Blue

Oh. They taste fine if you cook them right. Or at least they one I ate in Mississippi did :lol:
obxbufflehead

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Eagle head is just a nick name for blues. A blue phase snow is not uncommon in some flyways but they are uncommon on the west coast. From what I hear a blue phase Ross is uncommon everywhere.

Also, blues dont really have a set pattern for their blue coverage. Maybe its just a local thing, but all blues are "blue", the ones with the real nice coverage on body and up the neck with a solid white head is what we call an "eagle head".

@ goldie, I should clarify that the info I read said that a blue phase ross (not necessarily 'eagle head') is one of the rarest birds. but like I said, dont quote me, it could have been BS.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 am

Gotcha. Just trying to fill the noggin with more info that I read on the internet, so it must be true.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby cmcnabb » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:24 pm

I've killed what I like to think is a good bit of Ross geese and I have never killed or seen an eagleheaded Ross. If I ever do kill one, I'll probably mount it.....in a black pot lol
cmcnabb

Postby J.e.hagen » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 pm

cmcnabb wrote:I've killed what I like to think is a good bit of Ross geese and I have never killed or seen an eagleheaded Ross. If I ever do kill one, I'll probably mount it.....in a black pot lol

What happened last time we had a Ross goose come in
J.e.hagen

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Neve have seen a eagle head ross. Have never mounted a snow goose, or any birds, but that might one to put up on the wall.
goodkarmarising

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

This stuff confuses me. I see HUGE flocks of snow geese. Some are mature and some are not.
The mature ones are white with black wingtips. The immature ones are blue and then there is one we call a juvee that's half-way turned from blue to white.

I assume that blue geese are immature snows. I see them mixed all the time.
This might help clear things up...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Goose
Bayou Bottoms 058.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:56 pm

:lol::lol::lol:
I hope you're joking AB, never can tell with you.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby dog walker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:42 am

My buddy shot a blue phase Ross last week while we were up in Missouri. I don't have any pics on my phone I'll have to see what he has. I know its on its way to get mounted. It wasn't an eagle head but it was a blue.
dog walker

Postby dog walker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:43 am

Here is a pic that was sent to me by a guide I know. They happened to kill this one in his field today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361943828.711524.jpg
dog walker

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 am

Some pictures of snow geese

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361970816.231024.jpg

This is a dark picture but it was an eaglehead I shot in Jan

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361970931.237976.jpg

Flying carp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361970974.392590.jpg

4 blues and a snow.
Tomkat

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

dog walker wrote:Here is a pic that was sent to me by a guide I know. They happened to kill this one in his field today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361943828.711524.jpg

I hope there was no question about sending it to a taxidermist.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm hearing good reports from Arkansas on snow goose hunting. :thumbsup:
If you're thinking about it...
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Goose Hunting Forum