Goose hunting with #4

Honk!

Re: Goose hunting with #4

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:31 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
assateague wrote:Nope, not this time. I would love to have a super shell, just to make sure I don't fuck up on yet another pintail. And since I'm not buying Hevi-shot, and this TSS apparently isn't even for sale, this may be the only way.

I saw some tests once where TSS 7's were passing completely through frozen mallard carcasses @ 90 yards.

Crazy shit. A friend shot a turkey with some TSS 7s I had loaded, complete pass through of the breast at a lasered 81 yards. If I were to shoot ducks, I would use a 1/2 oz or 5/8 oz #9. Makes the 410 a legit waterfowl gun.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Re: Goose hunting with #4

Postby Legband » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

Dan it sounds as though your a believer in sevens for geese , I new a guy who managed and still does I think, a federal wild life refuse and all he used was sevens.
I'm happy with 4s we shoot most of our geese from 10-15 yards so the heavy loads I use are over kill most of the time.
But I love to make that third shot if possible and the big loads work well for that.
Calling geese in so they will sit in the spread and pass shooting geese are two different games and most of our hunts are based upon sitting the birds down.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Previous

Return to Goose Hunting Forum