Post-Season 2016

Re: Post-Season 2016

Postby Ducaholic » Mon May 16, 2016 11:46 am

Weather prognosticators are predicting a weak to moderate La Nina which typically allows the jet stream to drop down in to the deep south on fairly regular intervals which usually means normal amounts of cold and snow in the midwest and a typical winter. Wouldn't that be nice for a change.

As for the PPR we know we are due for an extended dry period. I wonder if this years dry weather is the start of another cycle? Part of me hopes not but part of me says you know it's just nature doing what nature does. Only thing this time would be far different than in the 80's when farming technology was not near as equipped to take advantage of the dry landscape as they are this time around.

That's worrisome.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Mon May 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Latest update on that front, from Friday May 13, glimmer of hope?

Things don’t always go according to plan. As Helina and I waited for the word that pilot-biologist Terry Liddick and observer Dave Fronczak had completed the segment, we got a text telling us to change our plans—recent rains had rendered the Lake Andes segment impassable. We headed an hour back north to do the Parkston air-ground. Last year this segment had fewer than 40 wetlands; after 8 inches of rain, this year it had more than 100, and took the two of us several more hours than expected. Thankfully, Dave was willing to go get the rest of the crew, even after several hours in the plane, transcribing data, and fighting with computer issues.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Mon May 16, 2016 1:17 pm

You wonder how much good a late rain can have especially when it comes all at one time. Probably do some good for the late nesters and late arrivals.
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Wed May 18, 2016 11:43 am

Nope, but I've had good luck using a herding dog whistle, particularly when mimicking their fussing chatter for/over food: http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/58939
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed May 18, 2016 12:48 pm

johnc wrote:Have any of you'll heard of a dedicated black bellied or fulvous tree duck call?

Though I'm far from experienced on calling them day in and out, I've had good luck bringing them in with my Haydels MP-90 by reproducing their whistle pattern both in SW La and SE la marshes
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed May 18, 2016 3:31 pm

You're a better man than I on a MP-90, Darren. They were virtually immune to me and mine. No spinner usually meant no squealers when I was using the Haydel whistle. Maybe operator error...

Fellow who'd been hammering them was kind enough to suggest something else (I can't share because I said I wouldn't) that pretty well mirrors the pitch of their usual whistles and draws them very well, but it doesn't carry very far, and I couldn't chatter on it. So I went on a whistle quest looking for something better, which eventually led to the Montana Lite herding dog whistle, which isn't dead on tone, at least with me running it, but often gets close enough just whistling and most definitely close enough chattering - and carries way the hey out. Might well be herding designs or materials that are inherently better pitched, but the stainless steel ML beats the cheap ACME plastic one I started on. Want to eventually try a brass design or two.

Meanwhile, I've been carrying a Montana Lite on my dog training whistle's lanyard, so I can practice on the squealers we encounter while out and about.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu May 19, 2016 5:39 am

You're way out of my league with that. Since having one land in my decoys and swim from block to block asking "Sweeeeeet?" back in the '70s, that long drawn out "sweeeeet" (Not the flight "sweet, sweet, sweet".) has been all I've used for them. Favored Duck Commander's woodie call when I hunted where they were more common, but dropped it with the shift to rice and big marsh, where I initially still had some luck doing it with a MP-90 before finding squeezing it from a speck call more far reaching and apt to turn them.

What you're doing sounds a whole lot more official. Practicing for multi bird contests? (Don't even recall what they're called, just that they are, or were, out there.)
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu May 19, 2016 8:24 am

Rick wrote:You're a better man than I on a MP-90, Darren. They were virtually immune to me and mine. No spinner usually meant no squealers when I was using the Haydel whistle. Maybe operator error...

Fellow who'd been hammering them was kind enough to suggest something else (I can't share because I said I wouldn't) that pretty well mirrors the pitch of their usual whistles and draws them very well, but it doesn't carry very far, and I couldn't chatter on it. So I went on a whistle quest looking for something better, which eventually led to the Montana Lite herding dog whistle, which isn't dead on tone, at least with me running it, but often gets close enough just whistling and most definitely close enough chattering - and carries way the hey out. Might well be herding designs or materials that are inherently better pitched, but the stainless steel ML beats the cheap ACME plastic one I started on. Want to eventually try a brass design or two.

Meanwhile, I've been carrying a Montana Lite on my dog training whistle's lanyard, so I can practice on the squealers we encounter while out and about.

They came nicely on a couple of occasions at Oak Island across the way from you, and also on a few occasions during teal season over on my end. Nonetheless limited would best describe my trials since we certainly don't have them around for regular season.

I liked them at your blind circa Jan 2012 just coming over low and slow, wave after wave.
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu May 19, 2016 11:07 am

I'd lose my place. That part of the Bass Pro "World's"?
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun May 22, 2016 11:50 am

Took a boat tour of a portion of our marsh yesterday with the wife and Harry. Found the usual suspects for this time of year, a pile of mottled ducks and plenty of alligators. Overall the marsh looks good, vibrant with spring growth, though in some areas it looks like some water sat on the marsh grass a while and killed it off so doesn't look too hot right now. The SAV has exploded about everywhere so no shortage of duck feed. A good bit of that typically dies off in late summer so we'll see what sticks.

Blind looked about how we'd expect this time of year with just remnants of the roseau cane we brushed with back in the fall.

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

Since we can't let Harry work in the waters he'd usually retrieve in due to gators, went out to the lakeshore for some retrieves. He had a blast in the small waves and just about wore himself out. Kept him in the shallows since there's been some bull shark sightings nearby of late. If it's not one critter it's another around here this time of year.

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

With his other handler
IMG_1501.JPG

Of note, while we might prognosticate about whether the migration will be early, late, or otherwise, it's looking like the fall migration will include a visit from the stork just in time to wrap up teal season at end of September. With some luck and blessings, my hunting will be cut back a bit this season but really excited about it. :beer:
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Sun May 22, 2016 2:01 pm

Congratulations, Darren! :beer:
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun May 22, 2016 4:12 pm

Maybe not the best of timing, but if you have to miss some hunting, I can't think of a better reason.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon May 23, 2016 8:00 am

Rick wrote:Maybe not the best of timing, but if you have to miss some hunting, I can't think of a better reason.

Thanks a lot guys, we're fired up. Fortunately, all of my "camps" come with baby sitting staff so I'm about in as good of shape as possible on that front, despite the timing. Likewise I couldn't think of any other reason I'd be OK with sitting out some hunts

In the meantime Harry and I are preparing just like any other season so that all is ready for when we can sneak out.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon May 23, 2016 3:05 pm

Congrats Darren :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:08 pm

thanks for the well wishes guys.

Got this photo today of a buddy's mottled duck mount done by the same taxidermist we've discussed previously in this thread. Don't think he's quite put the finishing touches on it yet but it seems to be lookin' right.

IMG_1620.JPG

Taken from the Delacroix honey hole that produced so well this past season. Got some other good stuff going on with my duck rig, will update when I have more info.
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Pretty sweet, but what's with the rig tease?
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Rick wrote:Pretty sweet, but what's with the rig tease?

Here's a little teaser:

IMG_1537.JPG
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Gonna put a pirogue carrier on it?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:00 pm

.......but then again, I reckon you could put a new outboard where the old one was :thumbsup:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 pm

I've been watching Canada geese here in Central Illinois. They made babies 3 weeks early. The north duck migration was 3 weeks early. The Canadas here don't go much south beyond 100 miles south of me. Too much no-till grain laying around for them to eat.
Now they're flying around in large family groups THREE WEEKS EARLY. It appears that winter will come on hard and fast this year imo. (I hope)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:25 am

I'm sure the suspense has just been eating everyone up; well, at least I've been excited and finally got to put her in the water yesterday afternoon.

Somehow brought myself to sell my trusty 2001 Yamaha C40 and repowered with a 2016 4-stroke 60hp, the highest hp my current flat is rated for. The tentative plan is to consider maybe a slightly larger rig down the road to put this motor on but hard to knock the current boat that's been beat over and over and doesn't leak a drop. And when we're loaded down with 3 pirogues, 50 dekes, three guys and a hound dog, 20 more horses should be handy.

With tides up a bit, even had a chance to go check out a "new" access canal in our area, or at least one that's only apparently deep and wide enough in the last year or so for us to consider using. Turns out it's a handy access to some typically hard to get to areas so I liked what I saw. Gave this end of the marsh a good tour and most of it's covered up in SAV, though only bumped one pair of mottleds. That bizarre considering our other area of the marsh we frequent was packed with them a few weeks ago, and this end actually appears more healthier.

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

Logged the first hour on the new motor before putting her back on the trailer and tucked back in the storage unit until next weekend when I plan to spend a good bit of time with her.
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:53 am

Hard not to play with a new toy.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to Darren 2015-2016