Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:11 pm

That's above my pay grade.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:35 am

Ericdc wrote:When do you start the 2016-17 logs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

think it has been august the last two years. Though with these season follow up and/or looking ahead threads, we've never stopped. :D
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:40 am

Darren wrote:
Ericdc wrote:When do you start the 2016-17 logs?

think it has been august the last two years. Though with these season follow up and/or looking ahead threads, we've never stopped. :D

Yea August is definitely my big transition month. I like to have my lease situation buttoned up, and take inventory on stuff I need for the upcoming season. This years needs list is a little longer than previous years.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:41 am

Yeah, the list is longer.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:55 pm

DComeaux wrote:Yeah, the list is longer.

Goose decoys aren't cheap

Neither are spinners with remotes, but I have to be able to turn it off from the blind and hard wiring would be too complicated cuz we place the spinners according to wind.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:28 am

Ericdc wrote:Goose decoys aren't cheap

The trick is not to buy more than you will to pick up every day. Any more than that may help on new bird days but will work against you with those that have been around long enough to know they're bogus - and likely even make it easier for "new" birds that have had the course and are looking for trouble to find it.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 am

For the past too long, I've been taking both the coyote and the bug on early morning outings to a crawfish pond for exercise when we've had the chance, but between the heat and an old, deaf dog's "help," the young one has been getting precious little training beyond a few marks, gimme blinds and a bit of very basic handling when he's missed them.

This morning the bug and I left a disgruntled old dog at the house and took advantage of a good, cooling rain to get in some handling drill, and it's plain that poor Peake needs to sit out a lot more if we're going to have his relief under the level of control needed for him to take over mudhole duties that I'm uncomfortable having a deaf dog perform. And particularly since said deaf dog seems to have decided that turning his back on me is a great way of getting out of obeying hand signals when he's disinclined to.

Lots and lots of work to do, and precious little weather to do it...
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:04 am

Was also reminded that the "breathable" in "breathable" rain gear is a cruel joke.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:28 am

Rick wrote:

The trick is not to buy more than you will to pick up every day. Any more than that may help on new bird days but will work against you with those that have been around long enough to know they're bogus - and likely even make it easier for "new" birds that have had the course and are looking for trouble to find it.

Yes we pick up our goose decoys (Avery FFD specks) every hunt. Thinking of adding a few pro grade snow and blue full bodies to the spread.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:20 am

Don't know about yours, but in this area, that equates to erecting a giant flashing neon "HUNTERS HERE!" billboard - unless you're talking about hundreds of blue and snow decoys. Because every whacker and his three cousins thinks a dozen or two light geese will help get them some extra shooting and the birds soon learn that most anything less than the hundred/thousands light geese usually concentrate in has guns.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:31 am

Rick wrote:Don't know about yours, but in this area, that equates to erecting a giant flashing neon "HUNTERS HERE!" billboard - unless you're talking about hundreds of blue and snow decoys. Because every whacker and his three cousins thinks a dozen or two light geese will help get them some extra shooting and the birds soon learn that most anything less than the hundred/thousands light geese usually concentrate in has guns.

Things are very different up here, most folks don't put out goose decoys, and if they do it's mostly just a few specks.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:33 am

I'm mostly doing it to help with ducks and specks. And we don't leave them out when we aren't hunting.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:49 am

Ducks may not give a flip, but specks will almost surely start avoiding you. If you want to turn a 15yd speck into a 50+yd speck, adding those light geese is a dang fine start.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:05 pm

Rick wrote:Ducks may not give a flip, but specks will almost surely start avoiding you. If you want to turn a 15yd speck into a 50+yd speck, adding those light geese is a dang fine start.

I haven't bought them yet. Just wanted to try them and use them on real windy days a good piece upwind of the blind in the standing stubble outside the chopped area around blind.

It would make my presentation different than a majority of the blinds around me, getting back to that "not looking like a decoy spread" thought.

Everyone around me puts out several hundred duck decoys and a few speck FB's or floaters. I use about 8 dozen at most high quality duck decoys and move them every hunt.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Get after it. I shouldn't have said a word, seems a phase most just have to go through.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:14 pm

Rick wrote:Get after it. I shouldn't have said a word, seems a phase most just have to go through.

Hahaha, I wanted to get your input. And was just explaining the differences between up here and down there and why I was only "considering" putting snows out.

I'm getting more specks for sure.

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 am

Ericdc wrote:
Rick wrote:

Yes we pick up our goose decoys (Avery FFD specks) every hunt. Thinking of adding a few pro grade snow and blue full bodies to the spread.

You going with any FB duck decoys?
Ducaholic

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 am

Considering some

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:07 am

We killed about 50 geese last year over a floating duck spread with 6 full body specks.

Hoping more FB specks will help with ducks and geese.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Made a good buy on some Avery FFD's yesterday that were bought last year and lightly used. Partner and I each got a dozen. The guy has a good bit more if any of y'all are interested. He's switching brands.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Google caught Rick in the mud hole October 30th 2014

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 am

Probably cutting fourchettes, the pretty posies that are the devil for dogs, though their imagery date and my preseason log don't quite jive.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:53 am

Yea, that's odd. I'm a google earth geek.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:06 am

Ericdc wrote:Yea, that's odd. I'm a google earth geek.

The date could be a few days off. I've been caught at one of my duck holes as well, the date shown was off 1 day from the actual visit. Neat find
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:26 am

Darren wrote:
Ericdc wrote:Yea, that's odd. I'm a google earth geek.

The date could be a few days off. I've been caught at one of my duck holes as well, the date shown was off 1 day from the actual visit. Neat find

Yea, there's a pic from November 2012 that shows my current lease holding several hundred ducks a few days before season, Also caught a friend of mine putting out decoys a few miles away from us.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:27 am

Seemed like forever since the dogs and I had made a round of one of our favorite places, so we did so this morning. They got a super good workout in the thick vegetation and relatively cool water under it, and I got to play with scads of blackbellied and fulvous whistling ducks. Also saw scores of wood ducks in a single southward (to the big marsh) flight and the first pair of whoopers I've seen there:
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:54 am

Difference between a scad and a score?

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:26 pm

In this case hundreds, as it is whistling duck central. Should also have one of the early teal shows, but we'll have to wait and see about that.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:31 pm

So scad > score?

Ericdc

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2015-2016