Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:24 am

I'd think hip boots the more comfortable flooded field option most days - but you're the guy wearing them. (And not all LaCrosse boots are ankle tight.) Anyway, enjoy 'em, looks like a great price break.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 am

Rick wrote:I'd think hip boots the more comfortable flooded field option most days - but you're the guy wearing them. (And not all LaCrosse boots are ankle tight.) Anyway, enjoy 'em, looks like a great price break.

You're right they aren't all ankle tight. Every time I've tried hip boots my butt gets wet. I'm in and out of the pit a lot picking up duck or making adjustments and these are a lot easier to move around in than neoprene for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Ericdc wrote:
Rick wrote:I'd think hip boots the more comfortable flooded field option most days - but you're the guy wearing them. (And not all LaCrosse boots are ankle tight.) Anyway, enjoy 'em, looks like a great price break.

You're right they aren't all ankle tight. Every time I've tried hip boots my butt gets wet. I'm in and out of the pit a lot picking up duck or making adjustments and these are a lot easier to move around in than neoprene for sure.

I use the same boots and love em. Same situation as you, wet muddy azz. I've used rain pants in the past but found that these light, soft top waders were a better choice. Keeps me clean and dry up to my chest and very comfortable. It also doesn't restrict movement like some of the bulkier waders out there. That was why I had used the rain pants until I found those a few years ago.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Yo, Comeaux, between us chickens, you held too much water.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:39 pm

For me it's more of the in and out of the blind and sitting on my ass on the bench, and now pirogue. I tend to get filthy while hunting, and with those chest highs, when I get to the truck I'm allllll clean when they come off. Just hose off the waders and hang to dry.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:05 pm

Something to be said for that. I probably ought to hose out the cab of my truck after the dogs and I have been in it.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:28 pm

:lol: In my younger days you could have planted cordgrass in my truck and it would have grown, It was a mess at the end of the season.
This reminds me of a girl I took out during the duck season many years ago, what a brain fart that was. I had to scrub my little chevy before it was time, and more than usual, but apparently the stretching, sewed seams of my seat weren't given enough time to dry. When she stepped out I noticed her pretty skirt had these neat little vertical, evenly spaced, mud stripes up her butt. Man, was she pissed! I had to take her home to change, put a towel on the seat and headed back out. That never happened again.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:46 am

So many one liners come to mind, yet none fit for a family friendly log...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 am

DComeaux wrote::lol: In my younger days you could have planted cordgrass in my truck and it would have grown, It was a mess at the end of the season.
This reminds me of a girl I took out during the duck season many years ago, what a brain fart that was. I had to scrub my little chevy before it was time, and more than usual, but apparently the stretching, sewed seams of my seat weren't given enough time to dry. When she stepped out I noticed her pretty skirt had these neat little vertical, evenly spaced, mud stripes up her butt. Man, was she pissed! I had to take her home to change, put a towel on the seat and headed back out. That never happened again.

Little Chevy was your truck??

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 am

DComeaux wrote:For me it's more of the in and out of the blind and sitting on my ass on the bench, and now pirogue. I tend to get filthy while hunting, and with those chest highs, when I get to the truck I'm allllll clean when they come off. Just hose off the waders and hang to dry.

Yes and yes.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote::lol: In my younger days you could have planted cordgrass in my truck and it would have grown, It was a mess at the end of the season.

Little Chevy was your truck??

:lol: :lol:
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Reminds me of the day I got pulled over at work and had three raccoons, half a dozen muskrats, three minks, a fox, a skunk and two coyotes in the back of the bronco. The cop just kept pulling out frozen carcasses and making the frowny face. When he found the never freezes dirt he was perplexed so I had to explain dirt-trapping to a traffic cop in Fisher, Illinois.
He was looking for dope and didn't find any. The guys never let me forget that day. :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Rick wrote:Made a quick run through the mudhole this morning and was pleased to find chinquapins growing in it, instead of goatweed growing on it, as is sometimes the case:

Not that it necessarily won't be again by September...

Remember thinking that my roseau cane patch was looking too healthy when we passed by them the other day and had occasion to note from both their south and north that they actually stand out as boldly lush and green compared to the nearby patches they used to quite well match. Almost like they've been fertilized. Perhaps the blood of all the birds we've killed there... OK, maybe not. Maybe just the dogs churning up the nutrients beneath them, breaking up bound root systems or some other by-product of our activity there.

But I'll be thinking on ways to sicken them without knocking them out completely.

All in all, our marsh was looking pretty healthy, but not nearly as neat as the one to our north, Cherry Ridge, where they've done extensive poisoning to reopen it to recreate the show of water there in the late '90s. Pretty sure ours out-shot theirs last season, but their sub-aquatics are returning nicely, and that may have been the last time...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:22 pm

They do look healthy, that's for sure.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Rick wrote:
Rick wrote:Made a quick run through the mudhole this morning and was pleased to find chinquapins growing in it, instead of goatweed growing on it, as is sometimes the case:

Not that it necessarily won't be again by September...

Remember thinking that my roseau cane patch was looking too healthy when we passed by them the other day and had occasion to note from both their south and north that they actually stand out as boldly lush and green compared to the nearby patches they used to quite well match. Almost like they've been fertilized. Perhaps the blood of all the birds we've killed there... OK, maybe not. Maybe just the dogs churning up the nutrients beneath them, breaking up bound root systems or some other by-product of our activity there.

But I'll be thinking on ways to sicken them without knocking them out completely.

All in all, our marsh was looking pretty healthy, but not nearly as neat as the one to our north, Cherry Ridge, where they've done extensive poisoning to reopen it to recreate the show of water there in the late '90s. Pretty sure ours out-shot theirs last season, but their sub-aquatics are returning nicely, and that may have been the last time...

Keeping up with the jones'

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:47 am

DComeaux wrote:They do look healthy, that's for sure.

Look just like the canes that grown where spoil from clearing hyacinths or such from canals has been dumped. Will likely try a light dose of granulated poison (taken in through roots) and see if that won't set back next year's stand. Hopefully without wiping out my island...
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:49 am

Ericdc wrote:Keeping up with the jones'.

Can't begin to do that, but do hope to eat a little from their garden.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:39 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:They do look healthy, that's for sure.

Look just like the canes that grown where spoil from clearing hyacinths or such from canals has been dumped. Will likely try a light dose of granulated poison (taken in through roots) and see if that won't set back next year's stand. Hopefully without wiping out my island...

Navigate granular 2 4d?

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:36 am

Doubt 2-4d would do it. Have been told by a drainage board foreman that Karmex is now approved for aquatic use and may try a light sprinkle of that. Or Diuron, if I chicken out of the Karmex...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:38 am

I treated my lily pads in pond with granular 24d and it killed some black willow trees growing on side of pond. It's pretty stout.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:46 am

I'd be a little reluctant to possibly knock out such a good stand of cover. I'd let nature do it's thing. With my luck, I'd no doubt end up with sterilized soil.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:12 am

Ericdc wrote:I treated my lily pads in pond with granular 24d and it killed some black willow trees growing on side of pond. It's pretty stout.

I think of 2-4d as a broadleaf poison and canes as grass.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:21 am

DComeaux wrote:I'd be a little reluctant to possibly knock out such a good stand of cover. I'd let nature do it's thing. With my luck, I'd no doubt end up with sterilized soil.

Could well kill it all and be where I was when I took over after Rita's salt surge, this being year two after she killed the marsh (and I mucked out the hole from the dog stand right to its east "bank"):

When brushed, that left us with this:

Which would still be a better match for the cane patches I've left nearby than the glowing glob of green I have now - and be a whole lot easier for a dog working out the back than how I've let it grow up.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 am

Rick wrote:
Ericdc wrote:I treated my lily pads in pond with granular 24d and it killed some black willow trees growing on side of pond. It's pretty stout.

I think of 2-4d as a broadleaf poison and canes as grass.

Gotcha, I know it's rough on water lily but doesn't bother the cypress growing around pond edges thankfully.

My brother Corey's lease in little chenier has a salvinia infestation in their best pond.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:49 am

Hunted at Hood Lake near Jonesboro for a few years. It's small and surrounded by excellent duck habitat. Some years it gets so overgrown with weeds and such that the guy hires a crop duster to spray agent orange or something like that. Not sure of the details on what chemical but they have to do it or no ducks. Feel sorry for the pilot that has to go into that hell hole. It's only 50 acres. The man who owns it says his grandfather bought the place for twenty five cents an acre way back when land was that cheap.
I bet he could get 5 million for it now. It's that good. Problem is the access road is OMG bad. You better have a 4x4 if you ever go there. It's about 4 miles long and going down that road you start thinking about Deliverance. The road is private and named "OK Road" and it's far from being OK.
It's spooky and you watch over your shoulder...don't want no pig-squeelin'. :clap:
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:03 pm

It's true

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:09 pm

I bet if you zoom in you can see the blind. Want Steve's number to schedule a hunt?
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Rick wrote:When brushed, that left us with this:

Which would still be a better match for the cane patches I've left nearby than the glowing glob of green I have now - and be a whole lot easier for a dog working out the back than how I've let it grow up.

LOOK AT THE WATER! That does look good, very natural.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:05 am

I tried to keep it raggedy to match other high spots in the marsh:

Still pull every stick of cut cane used at the end of the season, but used to also remove any live cane that tried to grow at the blind. But the encroachment of other cane patches nearby allowed me to let it grow at the blind, too, and better hide hunters who can't or won't hide themselves. Were it just "me and mine," however, I might kill every bit of it within a couple hundred yards and go back to brushing as above. Might yet take a fit to anyway...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:44 pm

When do you start the 2016-17 logs?

Ericdc

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2015-2016