Post-Season Ponderings

Post-Season Ponderings

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:29 am

Though the goose season is still going on, I've been done since Wednesday of the final week in the East Zone. However, have plenty of off-season items on my to-do list, just the way I like it to stay involved tinkering with hunt stuff in the summer.

Made some progress this weekend in cleaning up a bag full of decoys I took home from the Bunkie field. Some were new that just needed cleaning up before hanging up in attic for summer. Others were a collection of a couple dozen decoys of mix and match species, brand, size, condition, etc. Many of these stayed on the bench in the camp this season because the critters apparently got to their rigging since last deployed a few years prior. Also doing a fair bit of draining and patching. Seems that some others with more success than us at this farm (historically) are deploying very large spreads so the idea is to get as many out on the pond as we can for next season. Probably best to spread them more so as not to look like a big blob right in front of blind

Here's a few as an example
IMG_3432.JPG

Also working to do some scraping of rust spots and re-painting of ATV trailer, as well as rear rack on fourwheeler I just took off and will throw a coat of Rustoleum on for first time since new in 2007.

If I had some time to get away we may have given the field below a chance with the specks which is adjacent the duck "pond" slick water we hunted.
IMG_3401.JPG

Never had geese go in on their own accord to it but plenty got low and gave it a hard look. Any thoughts as to what is growing, why a farmer would plant it as such, and it's appeal (or not) to specks? Had the water pictured on it at last trip but previously not as flooded
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Re: Post-Season Ponderings

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:51 am

Darren wrote:...Probably best to spread them more so as not to look like a big blob right in front of blind...

...Any thoughts as to what is growing, why a farmer would plant it as such, and it's appeal (or not) to specks?...

At my last rice blind, I experimented with scattering single, paired and very small groups of decoys all over both of my blind's cuts, say 20-30 acres, with bigger and more clustered bunches of my best decoys near the blind to make it look like unhunted water, instead of every other spot that shot at them. Initially feared looking the fool when everything landed wide, but found I had little trouble pulling most everything to the blind. Still have many times as many decoys as I use in the Mudhole stockpiled against the day that I find myself in the rice again and wanting to repeat that rig.

As for what's in that field, I suppose it could be winter wheat, but think it more likely the land's been prepped for planting this spring and that's volunteer greenery - which many specks seek, particularly in warmer weather. But don't bet br'er Harry it's either...
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Rick wrote:At my last rice blind, I experimented with scattering single, paired and very small groups of decoys all over both of my blind's cuts, say 20-30 acres, with bigger and more clustered bunches of my best decoys near the blind to make it look like unhunted water, instead of every other spot that shot at them. Initially feared looking the fool when everything landed wide, but found I had little trouble pulling most everything to the blind.

I have thought about doing just that when the hunting gets tough. And not looking the fool has probably been the only reason I have not done it. I hope you have given me the courage to do this next time I feel that the birds are becoming tired of getting killed in the typical decoy cluster around the hunters.

The other factor is I have to pick them up every day. That is many times the work setting them up and taking them down, so I will need help. I think I know the right crew who will follow me down this foolish endeavor on a few occasions to see if it seems to help.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:...Probably best to spread them more so as not to look like a big blob right in front of blind...

...Any thoughts as to what is growing, why a farmer would plant it as such, and it's appeal (or not) to specks?...

At my last rice blind, I experimented with scattering single, paired and very small groups of decoys all over both of my blind's cuts, say 20-30 acres, with bigger and more clustered bunches of my best decoys near the blind to make it look like unhunted water, instead of every other spot that shot at them. Initially feared looking the fool when everything landed wide, but found I had little trouble pulling most everything to the blind. Still have many times as many decoys as I use in the Mudhole stockpiled against the day that I find myself in the rice again and wanting to repeat that rig.

As for what's in that field, I suppose it could be winter wheat, but think it more likely the land's been prepped for planting this spring and that's volunteer greenery - which many specks seek, particularly in warmer weather. But don't bet br'er Harry it's either...

thanks Rick, on both accounts. I'm thinking of something along the lines of what you're talking about or somewhere in between "traditional" and that, at least. One instance we struggled with was when the ice of Jan 7 weekend took our dekes out to middle of field, the teal, spoons and grays somehow developed an instant affinity for plastic they didn't show signs of previously, landing in them without issue and leaving me flustered in the pit with them well out of range. It was nonetheless comforting to see them take to our field so readily, so just a matter of tweaking to give more chances. There's one clip in my end of season video that shows some teal doing us exactly as they often did......pass wide of me headed to dekes and either lighting out of range or making a comparably wide pass on other end of blind without any decent shooting ops other than for guy on that end.

I'm thinking of ensuring what we have isn't too far out in the field but also drawing out the "wad" into smaller groups in a more scattered fashion up and down the levee. When I drive past unhunted ponds in the area the birds are scattered all over for sure, it's just not easy to achieve this with any kind of strategy for gunning.

Figured the greenery would draw specks but never gave it a chance. Know my lil full bodies would have looked great against that green and surely would have gotten us some looks. Would have been a matter of just laying up against levee. Next season.........
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Darren wrote:One instance we struggled with was when the ice of Jan 7 weekend took our dekes out to middle of field, the teal, spoons and grays somehow developed an instant affinity for plastic they didn't show signs of previously, landing in them without issue and leaving me flustered in the pit with them well out of range. It was nonetheless comforting to see them take to our field so readily, so just a matter of tweaking to give more chances. There's one clip in my end of season video that shows some teal doing us exactly as they often did......pass wide of me headed to dekes and either lighting out of range or making a comparably wide pass on other end of blind without any decent shooting ops other than for guy on that end.

I'm thinking of ensuring what we have isn't too far out in the field but also drawing out the "wad" into smaller groups in a more scattered fashion up and down the levee. When I drive past unhunted ponds in the area the birds are scattered all over for sure, it's just not easy to achieve this with any kind of strategy for gunning.

That's why God made duck calls.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:17 am

Guess at this point we'd rather realism on the water to do much of our drawing then rely on calling to get our shot. Biggest issue has always just been getting them to the field looking to commit. So as far as dekes, I guess it'll be 'the more the merrier' this fall
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:37 am

Darren wrote:Guess at this point we'd rather realism on the water to do much of our drawing then rely on calling to get our shot.

Can't get any more "realism on the water" than decoys scattered everywhere. But best of luck with whatever you do.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:54 am

Despite putting most dekes out of range, think the ice actually did us a favor in randomizing our blocks. They sure looked the real deal when walking down the levee
Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Anyone know much about this gun? Belonged to my grandfather, been relegated to a cabinet for many years. Now belongs to my uncle but never gets fired. Snapped these pics at Christmas while visiting over there in Broussard

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:35 am

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:Guess at this point we'd rather realism on the water to do much of our drawing then rely on calling to get our shot.

Can't get any more "realism on the water" than decoys scattered everywhere. But best of luck with whatever you do.

Years ago DU had an article where they showed quite a few aerial photographs of ducks in marshes and timber.
Looked like a storm had blown them all around. Super random.
That's a great way to set up until you're trying to force them to land where you want. Put way too much stock in how I do it because I'm of the "put em where it's an easy shot" kind of hunter. That works both for and against me. After 40 years it sort of gets habitual and I can tell you for certain that it was way way way easier when I first started. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Brought the flat boat/duck boat down to the camp last weekend, introduced the lil one to her first boat ride and even let her splash a bit on a sandy/shelly shoreline...her second baptism of her short 6 months with us! Harry and I did a little boat riding on our own and also put a few schoolie trout in the boat

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3766.JPG

Focused mostly on the fish for the foreseeable but likely will get the itch to make a visit to the Delacroix blind before too long to fish and check out the habitat. Marsh around blind was trampled to slop by end of season, and we didn't even make a hunt in it during the month of January, shown below. Looked pretty bad by my eyes but had birds sitting in the pond on last visit so guess it can't look too terribly out of the norm for the area

IMG_3295.JPG
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:31 pm

That "intro to water" is a mighty important step.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:59 am

Rick wrote:That "intro to water" is a mighty important step.

Loves it!
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am

Speck Dekes

Between a buddy myself, we've accumulated quite a collection of various GHG speck full bodies and shells, and plenty of the FFD full bodies with a smattering of full body snows. Far more are available to us than what would appear to do us good given we don't leave them out and would have to put out each morning.

Having seen some other blinds with a pair or two of speck floaters placed (and left) in the pond well outside the duck dekes; is it worth doing that just to have something out there or better just take our chances with no goose dekes at all instead of some weathered floaters?

Theory being at least there would be something out at all times when we don't take time to put out a few (or a bunch) full bodies.
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 am

johnc wrote:It is my opinion that at some point,responding specks will be looking for what is calling at them. It seems as if they are coming only to the sound sometimes,but that is a mighty hard trick, to decoy specks with no decoys,whether it be a pair of decoys,or whatever. It can be done,but to do with consistency is damn near impossible.

.....and I'm not exactly a strong speck caller so having to trick them with conversation alone isn't too likely. This is in regard to the Bunkie area blind

In our marsh blind only get a few scattered snows or specks if they blow in on a front but soon find their way elsewhere

appreciate your input! As I'd mentioned in another thread, maybe yours, I'd be posing these types of questions in offseason to try to get us more in the game next season. We've done much better with the specks in the past when the field was in rice, and I'm told it's back in rice this season so hope that gives us the stubble we've seen them use heavily in the past on us.
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:45 am

Been my experience that no decoys can be a plus - if you're very well hidden (to include not putting them on alert with what appears a duck spread) and ground/marsh is such that they can't readily see that there aren't birds down there, as in the case of rough plowed ground or broken grasses. In that case, they can be teased into coming with necks stretched and scanning hard for the calling's source. Otherwise, I want at least a couple of the best decoys I can afford to offer a viable calling source.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 am

But to the real question, I'd not use crappy floaters in any context. You guys are too young to be too lazy to put out a few good specks. If you're going to leave a spread out, make it a big one. And it sounds like you've quite a mix and would be best off to just use what matches color wise - even if that means painting.

("Do as I say, not as I do.")
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks Rick. I'd agree that we've really no excuse not to put out 2-4 of our FFD's. I think what happened last year was given the slick water surrounding us, it got to the point that I had a hard time loading even those few on the bike with me each morning and doing the setting and picking up. I'd agree that set up is what would seem to give us the best chance day in and day out, and was that rig that I brought the only pair of the season into killing range one hunt this season.

If we've got stubble this fall, we can get back to setting that small quality spread. If slick water.......may look for something that can be left out under the presumptions that our chances are slim anyway, if nothing else they'd serve as large blocks to help visibility to the duck traffic
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Thought of one blind with a similar set up of floaters I'd photo'd on a trip to Cheneyville in the '09-'10 season

Respective sides of the fella's levee shown below

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

As to the effectiveness of this rig? No clue, but heard shooting from this direction :lol:
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Good info!

Have been hunting this area off and on since 2010 season I think. One thing that was a pleasant surprise to me was the shear number of geese in that area. They traffic generally south to north for us each day, following that ag belt east of I-49, huge numbers most days and plenty at low workable height for us. We've killed a few specks in past seasons but that was over rice stubble, this past season was first we'd seen of beans on the field so just ended up with huge floods of slick water. Ducks seemed to like it but geese appeared far from interested most days despite low altitude.

Hoping levee has more growth next season as well, was near barren this season so made it tough not to stick out.
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 pm

johnc wrote:1---hide your ass off,especially over the top,in stubble their are many choices,in plowed usually cedar branches---once again cover over the top,those dark wholes between hunters over the top can be seen very far
2---let the strongest caller work the birds AND call the shot---another caller can fill in on occasion but very conservatively
3---instruct hunters not calling to keep their face hidden at all times,and do not move,you will give directions on when and where the shot will be taken
4---use good decoys as explained earlier---DO NOT BE AFRAID TO USE NUMBERS HUNTERS NEARBY ARE NOT DOING
5---use notes on the call that you know you can execute correctly regardless of what the bird is vocalizing or someone tells you--unless you have a big blind bag of sounds you can match the bird with,stick to what you can execute while working on furthering your skill set out of the blind
6---if you can replicate a few notes and you get a big bunch working,,listen and match the bird you know you can---I know when working a big bunch and the birds are calling it sounds like chaos,but if you listen closely you will hear one or two types of yodels repeated---try to match that---real tempting to roll on the call when large bunch of excited birds responding---fight the urge to over call---give them space and match what you can
7---use big enough shot to cause significant trauma---2's,1's or BB's
8---if you get them over the top of the blind centered on the pass before the" land in the decoy pass"---SHOOT the hell out of them---playing with major fire to let them go one more round for the PERFECT shot---lot of times will slide off or just keep going
9---Stick with what is working for you in your situation---there are a plethora of "experts" out there---some giving viable advice,but it you hit on something that consistently works in your situation,stick with it

One thing I didn't notice in your list that is a big thing for Canadas is being able to read the birds. I am not going to win any calling contests, but what I do do better than most is read the birds and adapt my calling to them. Watch them carefully, they tell you a lot.

I was hunting the far less favorable blind of two blinds in this huge field. It is literally my last choice in blinds. The guy calling in the other blind, which is one of my top choices in blinds, sounded way better than I did. We had our limit and I don't think they had half their limit. One guy was out picking up the last two geese and another was standing at the edge of the decoys taking a leak when a pair came by that wanted to die. If the guy would have stuck his call in his pocket for 30 seconds, they would have been able to kill them with the butt of their shotguns. He kept blowing them out. They almost landed in our spread with two guys standing in it after he blew them out, they circled back to him, he blew them out again and they gave us another look. These birds wanted to just come in quietly and land with some buddies. These two weren't looking to fight over food. The guy did sound sweet, but the birds were very particular that day. Mostly they were not interested in anything, those that were wanted to be coaxed, except for that last group I called in which I have no idea where they came from when I was blowing the most excited calling I could muster at the 50th totally disinterested flock passing by desperately trying to get any response to work with and then all the sudden I have a dozen geese behind me raising all kinds of hell. It's fun when they respond like that, but damn, I'm usually about ready to pass out from lack of oxygen by the time they are in range to shoot :oops:
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 pm

I have a dozen slightly used GHG Flocked specks with a 12 slot carry bag I'll sell ya. Don't think I'll need em, unless I'd win the lottery in the near future.

Speck decoys.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 am

Pretty sure those decoys are cursed.
Rick

Next

Return to Darren 2016-2017