Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby DComeaux » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:05 pm

We got the decoys on the water today and touched up the brush a bit. The go devil runs great!! The roseau's are out of that one root ball, and in the process sliced my pointer finger on my let hand long and deep. I had to get out of the marsh and head for some band-aids and peroxide so we could keep working..... Bled like a stuck hog.

We saw a good bit of birds today, blue wing, pintail, mottled ducks, gadwall, spoonbill and some other unidentified groups. There were maybe two far south blinds hunting on our section for youth weekend this morning, and they were out early. While making trips to and from the truck to drop tools, picking up decoys and grass, we got to watch a great show. Birds working and landing in the decoys was neat to see. Had birds work the spread while we were parked at the blind working on the brush. :D

We're fairly excited about our chances for a few shots next weekend, if these birds stick around, and wonder what will show when all of the hunters, marsh and rice, take to the waterways and blinds next weekend. We saw some nice groups of pintail and grays loafing around late morning. The blue wing show was fairly impressive, and all birds really like our close by grit bar.

A far out shot of the blind and spread. I had my camera with us this weekend, but I didn't want to get it covered in marsh mud, which was likley due to the work we had to do. My phone was on my hip, somewhat safe, buried in my waders.

1.jpg

A little closer look at the blind area.
2.jpg

This is a shot from the "grit bar", 100 yards away. The Pirogue will hide here, and be waiting for me every morning after I drop off the hunters.

3.jpg

These two guys are friends of Blake that hunted with us a few times at our old place. They made an afternoon hunt today just a mile or so west of our old blind. They weren't out there very long.
specks.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:31 am

Has specks moving over town much of the afternoon, too. Perhaps a sign that they're starting to buildup more - or just a forecast of Peake and my speck hunt getting rained out this morning.

Will hope that you've found where the ducks are is a surer good sign.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:07 am

Looking good to me, Dave! Should be ON Saturday for yall
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:20 am

Watching those that lost altitude rapidly, leveling out and whiffling over the decoys was a smile maker, for sure.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:23 am

They'll be partying in those dekes all week long. You got some pretty stout weights on them I hope considering the open water?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:42 am

Darren wrote:They'll be partying in those dekes all week long. You got some pretty stout weights on them I hope considering the open water?

Yeah, those bags were heavy. I'm sure we'll have to chase a few renegades during the season, regardless. But ,we're somewhat protected from the seasons normal wind directions. One of those pictures has extra zoom, and I was way out of the spread to the south in the choppy stuff.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:21 pm

These two guys are friends of Blake that hunted with us a few times at our old place. They made an afternoon hunt today just a mile or so west of our old blind. They weren't out there very long.
specks.jpg

Jarren wrote:Seen a lot of birds working that area after our hunts. Is that the fields right across your old blind's west

Haven't got the exact location just yet, but it is a lease, and I'm thinking the property behind those new looking grain dryers on the south side of Ellis bridge. That would be just under a mile west of our old lease entrance.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:28 am

Did my thing early this morning.

20161108_063149.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:01 am

Me, too. Went in feeling like I was being punished and came out feeling dirty. Only office I felt I was voting "for," rather than "against," was a city council seat. And even there I'd have voted for a possum before I'd of voted for the other alternatives.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:49 am

:lol: :lol:
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Glad to see so many people voting today. Our poll was packed at 6:30 a.m.for a 7:00 a.m. opening.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Rick wrote:Me, too. Went in feeling like I was being punished and came out feeling dirty.

After posting that this morning I ran into a fellow wearing a "voted" sticker at the camp and said something along the lines of "I see you took your beating." to which he replied, "I feel dirty."
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:47 am

Now, I can mentally relax and enjoy my duck season. Only two days away. :D
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:09 am

I will confess to voting 3rd party. I will support trump if they are able to repeal Obamacare.

I just couldn't hold my nose again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:48 pm

I voted for a conservative Supreme Court and against Ms. Clinton. But I'm hoping to Heaven that Trump will prove he isn't the buffoon I believe him to be.
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Ericdc wrote:I will confess to voting 3rd party. I will support trump if they are able to repeal Obamacare.

He won't need your support at this point but in 4 years he will. The Supreme Court is reason enough to do so.
Ducaholic

Postby Ericdc » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Ducaholic wrote:
Ericdc wrote:I will confess to voting 3rd party. I will support trump if they are able to repeal Obamacare.

He won't need your support at this point but in 4 years he will. The Supreme Court is reason enough to do so.

They've got to roll back Obamacare, lower taxes, get a hold on immigration. all the stuff they've talked about since winning congress in 2010. If they don't make major changes...what have we accomplished?

Supreme Court gave us Obamacare in first place.

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 pm

Congress has to have the ball to take action!

Supreme Court simply ruled that Obama Care was legal.
Ducaholic

Postby Ericdc » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:37 pm

Ducaholic wrote:Congress has to have the ball to take action!

They'll have it in January, hope they use it!

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:35 am

Ericdc wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:Congress has to have the ball to take action!

They'll have it in January, hope they use it!

Me too but in 6 years with the majority they could not even draft legislation to do the things we would like them to do. They could have at least shown the American people it was high on their agenda.

Enough of all that. Looking like the weather is shaping up for our opener. It's not great but sun and a north wind is encouraging.
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:35 am

According to the Sportsman, Larry said, "Then we got into a really good concentration of ducks in the brackish marsh south of Highway 82 on the western side of Rockefeller Refuge."

Dat's you, Boo.

Spoke to our northern neighbor this morning, who said a plane went over their body and raised a couple thousand birds yesterday afternoon, so I'm feeling hopeful, too...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:35 am

Rick wrote:According to the Sportsman, Larry said, "Then we got into a really good concentration of ducks in the brackish marsh south of Highway 82 on the western side of Rockefeller Refuge."

Dat's you, Boo.

Spoke to our northern neighbor this morning, who said a plane went over their body and raised a couple thousand birds yesterday afternoon, so I'm feeling hopeful, too...

Reading this gave me goose bumps............. :D We'll be leaving at noon. I can't wait to get down there.

The mud hole will be it's usual self, you'll have your birds , plus. Hopefully you have good shooters to start the season.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:36 am

I'm really excited about the conditions for our youth hunt tomorrow. Image

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Made a ride out to the blind a bit ago and jumped a few hundred birds. Saw a good bit in ponds along the road as well. Have hopes for the mornings hunt.

Blurry picture of the run back to the truck. Good luck to those headed to the blind in the morning.

IMG_8407.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:26 pm

Damn camera's drunk already.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Rick wrote:Damn camera's drunk already.

Nah...this white boy wants to feel good in the morning.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 am

Lookin good guys! Saw good many ourselves yesterday so hoping a few cooperate this AM.
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017