Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Looking at you guys and all the work you do. No offense but y'all just have that "we always have fun" look. :mrgreen:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:47 pm

aunt betty wrote:Looking at you guys and all the work you do. No offense but y'all just have that "we always have fun" look. :mrgreen:

It's a labor of love, betty, a labor of love. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know how to act if I'd get on a place to hunt and not have something to do... It just wouldn't feel right. Not to mention the satisfaction of seeing things come together and produce what you've worked hard for. That's the fun's and satisfaction. It's not just the harvest, but watching them get close and personal without a clue.....goosebumps..
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:13 pm

DComeaux wrote:It's not just the harvest, but watching them get close and personal without a clue.....goosebumps..

Say, "just like kites..."?
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 pm

My Lacrosse swamp fox waders of six years, with white spots of 3M 5200, went in the garbage last Sunday. My lower boot on both feet filled up to the calf on both sides, and I emptied out once when we had a break. New waders in transit for delivery tomorrow. :D
I got by in the rice last year, but this deeper water and activity showed me things I didn't like. I was going to try a re-patch, but the thought of cold wet feet in my future changed my mind. The interior seam tape was also beginning to peal. TIME TO GO!
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:24 pm

DComeaux wrote:My Lacrosse swamp fox waders of six years, with white spots of 3M 5200, went in the garbage last Sunday. My lower boot on both feet filled up to the calf on both sides, and I emptied out once when we had a break. New waders in transit for delivery tomorrow. :D
I got by in the rice last year, but this deeper water and activity showed me things I didn't like. I was going to try a re-patch, but the thought of cold wet feet in my future changed my mind. The interior seam tape was also beginning to peal. TIME TO GO!

What kind you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Six years is above and beyond for waders. And wet feet suck in winter. You'll be glad you got off your wallet.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:It's not just the harvest, but watching them get close and personal without a clue.....goosebumps..

Say, "just like kites..."?

HAHA!
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:My Lacrosse swamp fox waders of six years, with white spots of 3M 5200, went in the garbage last Sunday. My lower boot on both feet filled up to the calf on both sides, and I emptied out once when we had a break. New waders in transit for delivery tomorrow. :D

What kind you get?

I bought the new model swamp fox drop tops.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:46 pm

I've got a pair of drop tops. Love rolling them down. Got a pair of the swamp fox pant waders on clearance this summer. Perfect for the field.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:57 am

I made a mistake on the years I had the original waders. I found where I started using them in December of 2012, so that would only be 3 full seasons and a teal season. I had to patch the crease that formed just above the ankle in 2015. Both sides developed cracks in that same spot. They do take a lot of abuse, so I'm not complaining.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:59 am

Saw your comment on rick's log about missing the specks at your new place. Do you know for sure they don't traffic there?

If i'm not mistaken, I made a hunt not all that far from where i think your new place is back in January 2010 (south of 82 near GC) and we had some specks in the area low and workable. You might be surprised
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:04 pm

I've seen video of clouds of geese getting up on Rockefeller. (But shot very few back when I hunted just to its east.)
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Just what Rick said, we'll see geese often, but they fly into the refuge in the evenings, passing right over our camp, and some will head back to the rice in the morning. All we can hope for is a foggy morning with lost birds. They have an awesome place to hang out on the refuge, and on December 1st, that part of the refuge is shut down to human intrusion.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Blake was out in the marsh early this morning not very far from our blind, and he sent me a text saying that he was watching a good number and variety of ducks, and even a few specks, as he wrote, "dancing in the marsh". He sent a couple of three messages to me while out there and watched birds move until he left at 11:00.

I drove north early this morning heading to Toledo Bend and was hoping to see some fowl. The fields and normally wet areas were dry as a popcorn fart. Even the crawfish areas were dry. Tractors in the fields kicking up dust in every field. These conditions remind me of the season start conditions we had 5 years ago.

Now that I typed this, be prepared for a deluge.......... I really hope it stays dry.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:43 pm

DComeaux wrote:Blake was out in the marsh early this morning not very far from our blind, and he sent me a text saying that he was watching a good number and variety of ducks, and even a few specks, as he wrote, "dancing in the marsh". He sent a couple of three messages to me while out there and watched birds move until he left at 11:00.

I drove north early this morning heading to Toledo Bend and was hoping to see some fowl. The fields and normally wet areas were dry as a popcorn fart. Even the crawfish areas were dry. Tractors in the fields kicking up dust in every field. These conditions remind me of the season start conditions we had 5 years ago.

Now that I typed this, be prepared for a deluge.......... I really hope it stays dry.

Me too. We've had several wet years in a row.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:26 am

DComeaux wrote:These conditions remind me of the season start conditions we had 5 years ago.

...I really hope it stays dry.

We got to shoot a lot of mallards that year, but I worked for them:

And the coyote had it much worse than me:

Hope to make a marsh run tomorrow and not find my boat sitting on mud.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:45 am

The lower half of the State received more , if not all of the rain that fell months back. I wouldn't think, and hope you're not that dry now.....Waiting on report.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:29 am

I expect to have to take the tops off some "hills" in the Mudhole and perhaps have to washout my boat stall with the mudboat, but nothing too drastic.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:14 am

It must be rough not having a duck season yet so y'all can come up here, pay a huge fee for OOSER licenses, and not shoot ducks it'll be great. Imagine hunting over flooded corn that ain't bait. It CAN be arranged. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:26 am

Deer season starts Saturday

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:13 pm

johnc wrote:those are flocked Dakotas? did you notice bad fading or color maintain ok?

At that time they sent them with both flocked and painted heads for the drakes (whole hens and drake bodies were painted only), and the longevity of the flocking was mixed. Some held up well for a few seasons and some faded an odd shade, as if they came from different batches of material. But I preferred the painted heads, anyway. After five seasons of being left in the sun (once until April) the Dakotas could use repainting but probably won't get it. Been a good decoy.
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Ericdc wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Be prepared to move over if it we don't get a good rain between now and the 19th.
Ducaholic

Postby Ericdc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:38 pm

Ducaholic wrote:
Ericdc wrote:

Be prepared to move over if it we don't get a good rain between now and the 19th.[/quote]

Haha maybe the 20th but not the 19th.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:43 pm

:clap: :clap:

Southeast Texas Man Sentenced to 5 Years Probation, Must Pay Nearly $26,000 for Killing Two Louisiana Whooping Cranes

Oct. 27, 2016 – A Southeast Texas man was sentenced Tuesday to five years of probation and ordered to pay nearly $26,000 in restitution for killing two endangered whooping cranes in January from an experimental Louisiana population.

Trey Joseph Frederick, who pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of taking a whooping crane under the Endangered Species Act in May, was sentenced by a federal magistrate in Beaumont, Texas. In addition to probation and the fine, Frederick, 19, is prohibited from possessing firearms and cannot hunt or fish in the United States for five years. He must also perform 200 hours of community service.

Frederick faced a fine of up to $50,000 and as much as a year in jail.

The cranes were found dead in Jefferson County, located in southeast Texas, on Jan. 11. These birds, a male and female, were almost two years old and were part of a group introduced in Louisiana in an effort to establish a self-sustaining population.

Although originally released in Louisiana at the White Lake Wetlands Conservation Area (WLWCA) near Gueydan, the two whooping cranes, along with two other birds from Louisiana, had been in southeast Texas for more than eight months.

“We’re pleased with the sentence and appreciate how seriously the judge and prosecutor took this case,’’ said LDWF Secretary Charlie Melancon. “We are grateful to the state and federal law enforcement agents who worked this case and to everyone else who assisted to ensure that justice was served. We hope this sentence sends a strong message that this type of crime won’t be tolerated. We also hope, in this tragedy, that we can further educate the public about whooping cranes.’’

The whooping crane is protected under the federal Endangered Species and Migratory Bird Treaty Acts and by Texas and Louisiana state law.

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) is working cooperatively with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Geological Survey Patuxent Wildlife Research Center and the Louisiana Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit to return the species to the state.

“It was incredibly frustrating to lose two birds in this senseless act,’’ said LDWF whooping crane biologist Sara Zimorski. “But it has not, in any way, discouraged our efforts in bringing back whooping cranes to Louisiana. We continue to move forward with our work and are seeing positive gains.’’

Whooping cranes are large-bodied, white birds similar to white ibis, white pelicans, and wood storks, all of which must be distinguished from legally-hunted snow geese. However, a red head and black facial markings along with a height of five feet and a wingspan of 7-8 feet make them very distinctive. In flight, whooping cranes display black wing tips and fully extended neck and legs, which extend well beyond the tail.

Juvenile whooping cranes are primarily white with some cinnamon-brown feathers remaining on their body, primarily on their head and neck. Their wing tips are black like an adult, but they lack the red head.

Anyone encountering a whooping crane is advised to observe the bird from a distance and to report their sighting to LDWF (http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/webform/wh ... rting-form).

Anyone witnessing suspicious activity involving whooping cranes is advised to report that information to LDWF’s Enforcement Division by calling 1-800-442-2511 or using the tip411 program, which may offer a cash reward for information leading to arrests or convictions. To use the tip411 program, citizens can text LADWF and their tip to 847411 or download the "LADWF Tips" iPhone app from the Apple iTunes store free of charge. Citizen Observer, the tip411 provider, uses technology that removes all identifying information before LDWF receives the text so that LDWF cannot identify the sender.

Donations in support of the cranes can be made through the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Foundation by contacting Kell McInnis at 225-765-5100, kmcinnis@wlf.la.gov, or visiting the Foundation’s website directly at http://lawff.org/index.html. Donations can also be mailed directly to the Foundation at P.O. Box 80378 Baton Rouge, LA 70898-0378.

For more information on the Louisiana Whooping Crane Project, contact Eva Szyszkoski at eszyszkoski@wlf.la.gov or 608-477-0270.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:19 pm

Glad they caught the bunghole and made it hurt. One of the best things about my little stint of deer hunting this season was getting to listen to whoopers most of the time. Has become one of my favorite sounds.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:52 pm

We got the go devil back from the mechanic friend of Blake today. He and the Blake put it through it paces in a pond this morning and it seems to be running well. I got a little video from Blake while they were out there and it looked/sounded pretty good. We tied up the decoys last weekend and have things ready to go. We'll be heading to the camp next Saturday evening,and into the marsh Sunday morning, getting the decoys set and prepping everything for the opener.

I've seen weather reports that hint at upper 40's for opening morning???? This stale, warm weather pattern isn't very exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing what's showed up, or not.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:16 am

Mud boats behind vehicles in high numbers this morning. Marsh town populations will rise significantly this evening.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:35 am

Used to figure a decent mudboat mechanic could make an absolute killing at the Exxon Landing on PI's front ridge on opening morning. What a cluster flush.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Last load of decoys minus 6 full body mallards. Won't use but a few duck decoys for specks but have them ready for youth hunt next Saturday. Image

Ericdc

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017