1 - Mottled Duck
23 - Shovelers
59 - Scaup
3 - Ruddy Duck
1 - Pintail
2 - Bufflehead
1 - Ring Neck
2 - Red Head

22 hunts -14 of those hunts 3 men - 8 hunts 2 men - 173 ducks regular season 7.86 birds per hunt - Teal season 20 ducks 6 hunts

Total for both - 193 birds 28 hunts 6.89 birds per hunt.

With the large amount of mottled we saw early on I was wondering how our take would be on those. Those did educate quickly and disappeared. They probably took refuge on the refuge. I think we're going to head back out weekend after next to do a little work on the blind. I need to lower Ellie's launch pad as much as possible, now that I know the water level status, and transplant and secure more cord grass at the blind for the growing season. Maybe I'll see some water diversion activity......
DComeaux

Re: 2016 2017 Season

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:38 pm

I would like one of these....... We used a pro drive boat motor combo earlier this season while the go devil was in the shop and it was like night and day when it comes to ease of use. Only 40lbs heaver than the long tail and they make the same racket, as long as you keep em stock. Too many trinkets available for the young'uns to tinker with.

23-SD-2-Gallery-762x456.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:30 am

We had a fellow with a stock Go-Devil 23hp surface drive at our back blind this year, where it's mostly hard bottom, and it sure got loud trying to go some of the places my longer (58") "crawfish tail" much more readily handles back there. But it had the advantage of greater speed in the run than our long-tailed 23 and 25hps boats and did well with soft bottoms without being as physically hard to drive as our 72" long-tails are. Said he's had no mechanical troubles and is very happy with it.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:00 am

We've a Kohler 25, too. Don't know about "smoother," but it's been dependable and apparently not so water-in-fuel sensitive as the Vanguards. Wouldn't want the Briggs without mounting an in-line separator, as it's a serious PIA to get to the 23hp Vanguard's carb to drain its bowl.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:17 pm

We're looking hard at it, but may stick with the long tail another year to ease up on our expenses. I have no doubt that we'll have one hanging on the boat at some time in the future. That picture is of a 23 hp go-devil.

I did get confirmation of having our place again this season, so we're ready to go. We'll be headed out there in a couple of weeks to do a little work. Lowering Ellie's launchpad is on my mind, and building an underwater board walk (5 to 8 yards) from my pirogue hiding spot to the blind is on the list. It's getting soft in my path. We'll also transplant and stake some more grass. I need to try to hide my wild, fidgety pup a little better than we could this year.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:Rick a client of mine sells all sizes and types of pumps - he has told me to add Stabil(sp) or some type of fuel additive to the fuel every time you put gas in the tank. I have been doing this for 3 years and have not had a problem with water (condensation) in the fuel and I have a Briggs engine.

We've long been adding Sea Foam on the advice of a fellow with a chain of equipment rental places who hunts with us. But having been a paratrooper and commercial diver in the "Way back when...", I'm still a believer in redundant systems. That, and one of our Vanguard 23hps that's left out in the weather and doesn't have a separator - yet - has been fighting water issues this year. Has one of the newer unvented gas caps that creates a vacuum unless left loose on its portable tank, which may be taking in water via capillary effect - or someone's messing with its operator. But it will have a different tank and/or cap and an inline fuel/water separator next year.
Rick

Previous

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017