Post Season 2017

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Rick wrote:Bet its new location will be incredibly good.

Lights out pins and mallards all day, not a dosgris to be had :lol:
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:Bet its new location will be incredibly good.

Lights out pins and mallards all day, not a dosgris to be had :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nah, he's not going far. There was another blind that popped up last year just 500 yards to our NE on school board property. His only decent choice is to move it to the north, a couple of terrace's in that direction. This high water has accelerated erosion on everything else to the south and east.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 pm

A few pictures of our little place and progress.

This was our first look at the place. The fact that it was sitting on concrete, has an I-beam roof structure, and large square tubing post was enough for me. We were told it was the only structure remaining in that place after Rita came through.
20170520_100432.jpg

Dual Travel Trailer cover
20170520_100345.jpg

Rear Shot
20170520_100355.jpg

We had to open it up as per FEMA requirements. Added wood framing and aluminum screen.
20170617_110226.jpg

Added an overhang. We will be building a cover over the exposed 23' x 24' slab for the boats.

20170701_144649.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 pm

More pictures and comments.

It's coming along nicely, but we still have a good bit of work remaining. I replaced the stove pipe and fittings on the wood burning stove.
20170701_185823.jpg

Ripped some trim, primed and painted.
20170701_144649.jpg

20170701_185823.jpg

32507.jpeg

It's a big lot with lots of parking space. I'll post more pics of our progress as we get-er-done, and I hope to have some blind work pics before too long...
20170702_150345.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:49 am

DComeaux wrote:It's a big lot with lots of parking space...

Party at Comeaux's camp!
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:06 am

Lookin' good! Yea, we all comin'!
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:42 am

Gee that looks a whole lot like Flatville, Illinois except more trees and less corn.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 am

FEMA made you open it up. So what do you do when it get's cold enough to where you need to close it up?

The furthest south I've went is middle-arkansas and it got icy there whenever I showed up.
Funny but it always floods right after I leave. Sometimes an ice-storm flood. And then there were the fires. Going to see if the shack was still intact was different. Burned everything but the shack and our little pump-house thing. Lightning hit the power pole and burned several fields.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:09 am

Marsh Bear wrote:How many miles from your camp to Cameron

30 miles east of the Ferry
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:23 am

aunt betty wrote:FEMA made you open it up. So what do you do when it get's cold enough to where you need to close it up?

The furthest south I've went is middle-arkansas and it got icy there whenever I showed up.
Funny but it always floods right after I leave. Sometimes an ice-storm flood. And then there were the fires. Going to see if the shack was still intact was different. Burned everything but the shack and our little pump-house thing. Lightning hit the power pole and burned several fields.

Removable heavy mil visqueen panels, installed from the inside. We don't have much need for a heater down there. We had a rare (1) freeze last year.

This is our winter weather at the blind, on average.

Cameron Parish, LA Historical Temperature
Month......AverageMax......Average....Min Average
January....... 53.55°.......... 63.47°......43.6°
November...... 61.1............72.43°......49.7°
December.......53.05°.........63.03°......43.08°
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 pm

BGcorey wrote:I would love to have my own log book but too paranoid about someone lurking and sweeping the lease out from under us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Don't have to let the masses know where you're at if you've got concerns on some clown taking it. Know it definitely happens; some guys came in and swiped 22,000 acres of marsh out from a bunch of lease holders, a few I know, and it was hot last season. Went straight to the landowner with $$$$$$$$ and bought it out.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:54 pm

News Release

For Immediate Release
July 11, 2017

Public Information
LDWF
(225) 765-2465
aeinck@wlf.la.gov

Gueydan Man Pleaded Guilty for Illegal Shooting of Whooping Crane in Federal Court

A Gueydan man pleaded guilty on July 7 in Federal Court in Lafayette for migratory bird violations that occurred in Vermilion Parish.

Judge Carol B. Whitehurst of the Western District Court accepted the guilty plea of Lane T. Thibodeaux, 21, for taking a whooping crane for which there is no season, taking migratory game birds out of season, from a moving vehicle and without a Louisiana hunting license, and wanton waste of migratory game birds. Judge Whitehurst sentenced Thibodeaux to serve 45 days in Federal Prison for each of the five convictions to run concurrently and a $2,500 fine. He must pay his fine in full within one year or he will have to serve 45 days in Federal Prison for each of the five convictions to run consecutively.

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) enforcement agents began investigating a whooping crane that was found in a field just north of Gueydan off of Zaunbrecher Rd. with a gunshot wound in its left leg on Nov. 4, 2014. The crane was transported to the LSU Veterinary School where it had to be euthanized because of its gunshot injury.

Through the course of the investigation agents were able to ascertain information from confidential informants that told them Thibodeaux was the person that shot the whooping crane. Agents were able to obtain a search warrant for Thibodeaux’s phone and then collect videos and photos showing Thibodeaux shooting migratory game birds from a vehicle off of a public road near the area where the whooping crane was found. The phone also contained information of Thibodeaux being involved in illegal narcotic activity, which was turned over to the Vermilion Parish Narcotics Task Force.

During the investigation agents also learned that Thibodeaux threatened the informants to not give any information to LDWF agents about the whooping crane he shot. Agents arrested Thibodeaux on charges of felony witness intimidation on March 4, 2015 and those charges are still pending at this time.

The crane in this case had been released in January of 2014. LDWF is working cooperatively with the USFWS, USGS, the International Crane Foundation and the Louisiana Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit to bring the species back to the state. This non-migratory flock of whooping cranes is designated as a non-essential, experimental population but is protected under state law, the Endangered Species Act and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

The confidential informants will split a reward for their information that led to the arrest and conviction of Thibodeaux. The reward money consisted of $1,000 each from LDWF’s Operation Game Thief program and the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Foundation; $5,000 from The Humane Society of the United States and The Humane Society Wildlife Land Trust; and $3,000 from anonymous donors.

The lead LDWF investigative agent for this case was Senior Agent Derek Logan with assistance from Lt. Beau Robertson and Sgt. David Sanford. The Louisiana State Police Crime Lab and PC Recovery in Lafayette assisted with collecting the data from the seized cell phones. The Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Office also assisted with the execution of warrants.

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is charged with managing and protecting Louisiana’s abundant natural resources. For more information, visit us at www.wlf.la.gov. To receive email alerts, signup at http://www.wlf.la.gov/signup.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Wow, he got it for sure. Hoping he doesn't pay the fine in the allotted time so he goes back to prison for all 5 of those terms consecutively. Informing looks pretty lucrative, too. :thumbsup: Good on those guys
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:07 pm

What a bleeding asshole.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am

Oh but you're not looking at the big picture when these high dollar "hunters" come in and buy the property and kick out the leaseholders. (the duck club guys)

This is how it went...
There were these guys with money who booked a week or was it two?
They had a blast and by the next season had managed to find some other rich buddies who bought the whole farm.
They hunted it the first season and tore up the ducks.
Then they got greedy and payed to have the farm precision leveled. Oh God that was dumb. Nice little slough...gone.
Some farmers convinced them that it was the thing to do and they'd make more money that way so they did it.
Well they made it where the ducks moved somewhere else. Destroyed their own duck utopia and paid to get it done.
Often have wondered how many times that little story has played out.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm

And in the "had to happen" column, Dave, Doug just called to get the Marceau farm blind dimensions for a fellow he's trying to rent them to. There goes our speck hunt on the farm he was "really" going to keep this year.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 pm

BGcorey wrote:Comeaux this is off topic but your "old blind" , didn't it pop due to High water before? What was your anchoring system?

Not only high water, but being pounded by waves. Not having enough timber driven around it was the issue. I didn't have a warm and fuzzy when we finished the first set, but my shoulders weren't in good shape at the time and I quit before I knew I should have. I had my fingers crossed when we went out after that high water and wind event, but had a gut feeling she'd be on her side.

The upward pressure pulled a couple of single, driven 2x4's on one side and actually sheared the wood screws. It hadn't budged since that rebuild, and I wasn't looking forward to taking it apart to move it. We did fill it with water after the season,as I've done with most of my marsh blinds, to relieve the upward pressure on the frame.

Rick wrote:And in the "had to happen" column, Dave, Doug just called to get the Marceau farm blind dimensions for a fellow he's trying to rent them to. There goes our speck hunt on the farm he was "really" going to keep this year.

Well, that sucks.....
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:07 pm

BGcorey wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Yap, it's getting close.

I'm heading out this Saturday to look a place/lot to purchase down there for a camp spot. We used a camp last year, ( travel trailer with screened in kitchen attached, all under cover) and could continue to do so, but I would prefer to have my own place. She didn't want anything for rent but I couldn't let her do that.

I now have a warm and fuzzy about a long term deal in this marsh, and the way things look down there, I'll have no trouble selling the place if it should come down to that.....Long waiting list, everywhere..... I was able to slip to the front of the line :D
i realize this is from April but I wish I could get a warm and fuzzy about a long term deal in our marsh. We have a good relationship with our leaser but still worries me every year that someone else with more money could get it.
Thankfully we have it for 2017-2018 season. I would love to have my own log book but too paranoid about someone lurking and sweeping the lease out from under us.

Just do one and be vague...hopefully it's better than last season, no worries about somebody getting excited about last years would be season log

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 am

BGcorey wrote:
Marsh Bear wrote:BGcorey - I know the question was asked of Comeaux, but we sink our blinds about 2 feet in the mud then anchor them down using 2X4s. We use 2X4X12 boards 8 of them - 2 each front and back put in forming an X (45 degree angle) then one on each corner. We screw the 2X4s to the blind using stainless steel screws - only screws that won't rust out after 2 years. We leave the blind full of water for at least a month to let it "set".
My 2 cents worth :mrgreen:
exactly what I was looking for

What he said...........
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 am

Marsh Bear wrote:We are going to the camp this weekend - we are putting in a new blind - so we will be sinking the blind and driving 2X4X12s, planting grass all day Saturday

Y'all get er done this weekend?
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am

Jarren wrote:I'm
Late to the party here but nice looking setup you got going this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats up stranger?
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017