Post Season 2017

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Darren wrote:I'm trying to get after the fish right now but the winds aren't cooperating. Won't be long though and I'll have about had my fill and will be looking to do something ducky. If I could be of use one day, let me know.

I scratched my itch on that with three or four really good bass trips over the last month or so, so now I'm now thinking of the camp and blind. I'll be back in the boat though, doing a little top water and spinner bait thing next month.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 pm

This was the blind and the "island" in early November of last year

3 Cropped 1.jpg

This is the blind area as of this past Saturday. Both photos were taken from same general area/distance,only the recent photo has me standing just a bit west.....I didn't want to get my crocs muddy......With the south terrace missing the vegetation that remains will be gone in short order.

30098 cropped.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Son of a B!

Yep, better find you some protection or go all in on a "big water" style bind that can hold up to the wave action.........and trade in your puddlers for some dosgris blocks :D
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue May 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Darren wrote:Son of a B!

Yep, better find you some protection or go all in on a "big water" style bind that can hold up to the wave action.........and trade in your puddlers for some dosgris blocks :D

POO POO! :lol:
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed May 24, 2017 8:10 am

Marsh Bear wrote:The pond beyond your old blind looks pretty good with that island in the middle.

That's the direction we're going,I'm fairly certain, and I'm really thinking of nestling into the center (length), and on the western edge of a north south terrace, facing west. On average, we had mostly east or south east winds all of last season, and a little left to right, or right to left swing won't be so bad on those north or south wind days.... I can see em now, cupped and then backpedaling over the decoys. :D
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed May 24, 2017 9:01 am

Well, until that erosion terrace blows out, too...

Don't care where you are, there's always something.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 am

Rick wrote:Well, until that erosion terrace blows out, too...

That's why I had mentioned a "couple of years service" in another post. In that direction (east) from the blinds current location, the terraces still have some size and height to em, and have been that way since we got there. They're not showing the accelerated signs of erosion like we had around us (our immediate location) from the beginning. I'll keep hopping around as long as he'll let me, I don't mind one bit. Maybe one day I'll end up in the sho'nuff marsh just to our south.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed May 31, 2017 11:25 am

Rick wrote:Well, until that erosion terrace blows out, too...

As out on the fringe of the coast as our pond is on the delacroix piece, the pond maintained it's borders through Katrina and even to now. That said, we've apparently got muskrats (with the mounds of grass they make) and they're doing some damage all around us. Not sure what we'll be able to do about that, if anything. Had presumed them to be nutrias

Looks a lot like this, except not surrounded in water......yet
Muskrat-lodges-on-lake.jpg

Dave when are you going to be selecting new spot for blind install? Are you going to have to move the current one or getting a new hole?
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed May 31, 2017 11:51 am

I'm no expert, but muskrats without levees or banks to den in build huts much like beavers to live in, which results in a pretty pronounced dome, while nutrias just build mounds to lay up on top of, so they're generally flat-topped.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 pm

These were rounded, like in the picture, and stout......you can stand on them without any give. The grass is ripped by the roots for a fair radius around each dome. So if we get a storm, that exposed mud is going to be washing out quick
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed May 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Darren wrote:Dave when are you going to be selecting new spot for blind install? Are you going to have to move the current one or getting a new hole?

Not sure yet, but it'll be whenever his mind swings back to the lease, I guess.

Those mounds in your picture are what I remember of the creole "big burns" marsh in the early 80's, and I remember them as musk rat. They were like lawn mowers. I don't see those down that way anymore.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed May 31, 2017 12:45 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:Dave when are you going to be selecting new spot for blind install? Are you going to have to move the current one or getting a new hole?

Not sure yet, but it'll be whenever his mind swings back to the lease, I guess.

Those mounds in your picture are what I remember of the creole "big burns" marsh in the early 80's, and I remember them as musk rat. They were like lawn mowers. I don't see those down that way anymore.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure we'll be moving/using that same pit. I hope I can dismantle and rebuild Ellie's launch pad from the existing, new material.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 31, 2017 2:30 pm

I could write a book about how habitat changes.
Things were a whole lot different around here when I was a kid in the 70's.
Of course the habitat changes up here in yankee-land are all man-made changes.

The "island" at Clinton Lake where I used to kill a lot of Canada geese went under about 6 years ago.
I'm pretty sure the Russians had something to do with that. Clinton Lake is a nuclear power plant cooling lake. Must be a plot to undermine US sovereignty and stability. :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:11 pm

I got some really bad news this morning about an acquaintance turned friend from from our Grand Chenier "hunting village". He's an avid diver and spear fisherman. He also just got married.

30678.png

We were together a lot during this past duck season, as his camp was just a stones throw from our front door. The search continues.

This is Chet messing with Ellie in our camp this past season.
30679.jpeg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Guess we just never know when or how. But he looks to be a fellow who lived life fully while he could.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 am

Wow really sorry to hear that, hope on hope that he turns up but that offshore diving thing is big thrill......and big risk.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:08 am

The search was called off by the coast guard yesterday afternoon. I'd really like to know what happened down there.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm

The RV is still sitting down in the marsh and I'm monitoring the situation closely. I have a few people down there keeping me updated. My main concern is storm surge, but I don't think this system has the punch to get it up high enough to affect us. I was told by some locals that a forecast 4' to 5' storm surge is the trigger to evacuate. The current winds aren't a concern at the moment, either.

I had a nice conversation this morning with a property manager/duck hunter who's camp is just a stones throw from where we stayed last year, and we're just a tad bit further from him this year, same camp property. We broke bread with him and some of his blind holders quite frequently last season.
After a short time on the phone he asked if I'd like to takeover one of his blinds. Half the price were paying now, and a mile to the southeast of where we're currently located. The new pit and boat hide was installed last year during the teal season to replace a tired,leaking pit. We can also fish and crab on this lease........I took it. He may be down there this weekend,and if so,I'll leave the camp work to others for a bit to go take a look at it.

For me, the only down side to this move is that the blind belonged to Chet, the guy we lost to the diving indecent three weeks ago. Last year was his first year in that blind.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:50 am

I'm sure he'd be pleased that friends have it and think of him on the sweet mornings.

Re: the weather, since a couple of us who sweated mightily righting popped blinds last flood put or noggins together and decided they'd be OK without ballast this go-round, you can expect much higher than predicted water.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:13 am

DComeaux wrote:The RV is still sitting down in the marsh and I'm monitoring the situation closely. I have a few people down there keeping me updated. My main concern is storm surge, but I don't think this system has the punch to get it up high enough to affect us. I was told by some locals that a forecast 4' to 5' storm surge is the trigger to evacuate. The current winds aren't a concern at the moment, either.

I had a nice conversation this morning with a property manager/duck hunter who's camp is just a stones throw from where we stayed last year, and we're just a tad bit further from him this year, same camp property. We broke bread with him and some of his blind holders quite frequently last season.
After a short time on the phone he asked if I'd like to takeover one of his blinds. Half the price were paying now, and a mile to the southeast of where we're currently located. The new pit and boat hide was installed last year during the teal season to replace a tired,leaking pit. We can also fish and crab on this lease........I took it. He may be down there this weekend,and if so,I'll leave the camp work to others for a bit to go take a look at it.

For me, the only down side to this move is that the blind belonged to Chet, the guy we lost to the diving indecent three weeks ago. Last year was his first year in that blind.

I'd agree with Rick; this fella would hope someone else could enjoy it, particularly someone who knew him and could think of him on those days they're locking and dropping in. Hope it works out well for you, send pics when you get eyes on the new set up!

Water is a couple of feet over our dock at the camp but theres a few folks down there monitoring it so we should be able to keep up with it today. NE winds at 40+ blew there for a chunk of yesterday and that just piles water in on us. A shift to a more southerly direction would help shift some of that northward and out of our immediate area, and looks like that's happening this AM. Will update on my log if I get more info
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 am

by Rick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:50 am Re: the weather, since a couple of us who sweated mightily righting popped blinds last flood put or noggins together and decided they'd be OK without ballast this go-round, you can expect much higher than predicted water.

:lol: I think you guys will be alright this go around.

I think it'll be a good move, as I got to see their take after every hunt last year, and it didn't contain many divers.... Green wing, gadwall, blue wing and other wonderful species were the norm. I'm not saying the divers aren't there for the taking, just more available dabblers on a regular basis. An occasional dos gris, scaup, or hopefully red head will bite the dust.

We're going to give it a go, and I'm taking my crab traps out of storage and getting em prepped. A little bonus of running the traps after the hunt will be nice.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Besides, half the price for a duck and crab lease!?? No brainer!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Got an "All Good" text from Ms Shirley the land lady down that way bout 6:15 this morning. Radar now shows things moving out. No more news is good news, right? I'm headed down there tomorrow afternoon..... Teal season is getting closer, and closer.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:00 am

DComeaux wrote:Got an "All Good" text from Ms Shirley the land lady down that way bout 6:15 this morning. Radar now shows things moving out. No more news is good news, right? I'm headed down there tomorrow afternoon..... Teal season is getting closer, and closer.

Good deal! Think i'm heading down to the camp later today to get cleanup in motion. Sounds like there's some dock and slab washing to be done but have no idea if we're talking a mud/silt layer of an inch or a foot. First time we've experienced one of these events since we had the camp built in 2014, knock wood.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 am

Things were pretty much as we left them, except for a few displaced animals trying to find higher ground. I took a ride out to the new to us blind with the guy that has the property, and everything, as you would image, was still under water. My main reasons for going out there was to see the route to the blind and find out where we could put our crab traps. Work is progressing nicely on the campsite, but we still have a ways to go to get it where we want it. This only means more weekends in paradise. :D

The amount of small alligators crossing, and or run over on the road was more than I'd seen in my travels down there in the last year. We have a big wad of Black bellies hanging around the camp and their sounds fill the morning air. They seemed to be excited about the fresh sheet water filling an adjacent cow pasture very near our camp. Watching them pour into this field stopped work on several occasions.

On the drive out, about a quarter mile from the camp, we had to stop to avoid hitting a spotted fawn. She may have been bedded down on a levee near the road and was flushed by some guys going out to take a look at their water situation. The poor thing was running down the middle of the road then turned and ran into a hog wire fence. It eventually made it to safety. I'm pretty sure mom wasn't too far off watching this unfold.

So, it looks like we have a new place to hunt, and the blind and blind area (pond) seems promising. We have more marsh around us and a tad more protection from the wind. Although, I had to use my imagination, as he explained in this high water, that their were pond boundaries lined with marsh grass. I'm really looking forward to teal season in this new place, and the new blind with boat hide connected will be something new to me.There was even a dog box of sorts next to the blind. Seems too easy at the moment... :lol:......I'll be calling the other lessor today to give him the news...I hope he takes it well, as I don't like to burn bridges. If I could afford it, I'd keep both places.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:53 am

WILL IT EVER STOP RAINING!!!!!!!!!

I got a call from my now former blind lease guy asking my thoughts on where to move my old blind....... Seems things are all good in the universe.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Sounds like bridge not burned :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Bet its new location will be incredibly good.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017