Post Season 2017

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 am

DComeaux wrote:The last day or two has given us a break from the constant down pours we've been having, and it seems we may have slipped into our usual summer pattern...


Aside from giving the dogs some crawfish pond time, all I've done this morning is change an airboat's oil and filter, and I'm dripping sweat. Highlight of my morning being cranking that sucker for a leak check and standing behind it.
Rick
 
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:12 am

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I'll be leaving for the camp at noon today and hope to get a little work on the camp completed this evening. We'll do this while tending a pot of chicken sauce piquant on an outside burner stove. Of course, we'll have a few refreshments when we're done for the day, which may be sooner than later. :lol:

The last day or two has given us a break from the constant down pours we've been having, and it seems we may have slipped into our usual summer pattern. Early morning light shows in the gulf with an occasional pop up shower inland during the day. Those light shows at dawn and dusk, into the evening, light flashes from the diminishing storms along the coast is something I remember watching as a kid, standing barefoot in the yard with a blade of grass in my mouth.
I think I'll start doing this more often, taking the time to slow down and take it all in as I did as a kid.... Life was simple, then.


Care to share sauce piquant recipe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'll try to make it short and sweet, and I'm not going to have exact ingredient amounts.

Season your preferred chicken parts to your liking. We're going to use thighs. I use slap your mama, onion powder, and garlic powder. You can lightly dredge these parts in flower if you'd like, but the paste usually thickens things up well enough. Cut up an onion and bell pepper. The amount here is determined by how much your cooking and the size of the pot. For (6) thighs we'll probably do one big onion and (1) bell pepper. The word "piquant" means sticker or thorn in french. It was used due to the hot, spicy taste of the sauce, like having a thorn in your tongue. You can add jalapenos, cayenne and or rotel tomatoes if you'd like, but I don't.

Put a small amount of oil in your pot, med to high heat and thoroughly brown the chicken. Brown it well, leaving what sticks on the bottom for later. Don't let those grémille's (french for bits) sticking to the bottom burn. add a splash of water as needed. This should get a good "gravy" going.Take the browned chicken from the pot and add in your cut up onions and bell pepper to sweat, add a little water occasionally to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Scrape off all of that goodness that stuck to the bottom and stir it into your wilting mixture. DO NOT BURN THE ONIONS and BELL PEPPER, but make sure they're really soft. Use little splashes of water as necessary. This will take your attention.

Once the mixture is wilted and very soft, pour in a large can of tomato sauce and stir/mix in one can of tomato paste. Once the sauce and paste is well blended, let this sauce cook covered on low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This can be longer if you have the time. This should reduce and thicken the sauce and you're now ready for the chicken. Add the chicken and cook till done, fall of the bone tender. Pour your sauce over rice and add your favorite side, or sides. We'll do sweet peas today.
Be sure to watch it closely while cooking, adding a little water or chicken stock as needed. This should be a fairly thick sauce.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:42 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:The last day or two has given us a break from the constant down pours we've been having, and it seems we may have slipped into our usual summer pattern...


Aside from giving the dogs some crawfish pond time, all I've done this morning is change an airboat's oil and filter, and I'm dripping sweat. Highlight of my morning being cranking that sucker for a leak check and standing behind it.


I'll be soaked in a few hours. I hope the sea breeze is on today.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 am

Thought there was some sort of law against sauce piquant without Rotel tomatoes.
Rick
 
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am

Rick wrote:Thought there was some sort of law against sauce piquant without Rotel tomatoes.



There probably is...SHHH don't tell. :lol:
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:52 am

DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I'll be leaving for the camp at noon today and hope to get a little work on the camp completed this evening. We'll do this while tending a pot of chicken sauce piquant on an outside burner stove. Of course, we'll have a few refreshments when we're done for the day, which may be sooner than later. :lol:

The last day or two has given us a break from the constant down pours we've been having, and it seems we may have slipped into our usual summer pattern. Early morning light shows in the gulf with an occasional pop up shower inland during the day. Those light shows at dawn and dusk, into the evening, light flashes from the diminishing storms along the coast is something I remember watching as a kid, standing barefoot in the yard with a blade of grass in my mouth.
I think I'll start doing this more often, taking the time to slow down and take it all in as I did as a kid.... Life was simple, then.


Care to share sauce piquant recipe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'll try to make it short and sweet, and I'm not going to have exact ingredient amounts.

Season your preferred chicken parts to your liking. We're going to use thighs. I use slap your mama, onion powder, and garlic powder. You can lightly dredge these parts in flower if you'd like, but the paste usually thickens things up well enough. Cut up an onion and bell pepper. The amount here is determined by how much your cooking and the size of the pot. For (6) thighs we'll probably do one big onion and (1) bell pepper. The word "piquant" means sticker or thorn in french. It was used due to the hot, spicy taste of the sauce, like having a thorn in your tongue. You can add jalapenos, cayenne and or rotel tomatoes if you'd like, but I don't.

Put a small amount of oil in your pot, med to high heat and thoroughly brown the chicken. Brown it well, leaving what sticks on the bottom for later. Don't let those grémille's (french for bits) sticking to the bottom burn. add a splash of water as needed. This should get a good "gravy" going.Take the browned chicken from the pot and add in your cut up onions and bell pepper to sweat, add a little water occasionally to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Scrape off all of that goodness that stuck to the bottom and stir it into your wilting mixture. DO NOT BURN THE ONIONS and BELL PEPPER, but make sure they're really soft. Use little splashes of water as necessary. This will take your attention.

Once the mixture is wilted and very soft, pour in a large can of tomato sauce and stir/mix in one can of tomato paste. Once the sauce and paste is well blended, let this sauce cook covered on low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This can be longer if you have the time. This should reduce and thicken the sauce and you're now ready for the chicken. Add the chicken and cook till done, fall of the bone tender. Pour your sauce over rice and add your favorite side, or sides. We'll do sweet peas today.
Be sure to watch it closely while cooking, adding a little water or chicken stock as needed. This should be a fairly thick sauce.


Eric, I forgot to mention that you need to add a little sugar to the sauce. This helps to cut the acid/bitterness.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 am

DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I'll be leaving for the camp at noon today and hope to get a little work on the camp completed this evening. We'll do this while tending a pot of chicken sauce piquant on an outside burner stove. Of course, we'll have a few refreshments when we're done for the day, which may be sooner than later. :lol:

The last day or two has given us a break from the constant down pours we've been having, and it seems we may have slipped into our usual summer pattern. Early morning light shows in the gulf with an occasional pop up shower inland during the day. Those light shows at dawn and dusk, into the evening, light flashes from the diminishing storms along the coast is something I remember watching as a kid, standing barefoot in the yard with a blade of grass in my mouth.
I think I'll start doing this more often, taking the time to slow down and take it all in as I did as a kid.... Life was simple, then.


Care to share sauce piquant recipe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'll try to make it short and sweet, and I'm not going to have exact ingredient amounts.

Season your preferred chicken parts to your liking. We're going to use thighs. I use slap your mama, onion powder, and garlic powder. You can lightly dredge these parts in flower if you'd like, but the paste usually thickens things up well enough. Cut up an onion and bell pepper. The amount here is determined by how much your cooking and the size of the pot. For (6) thighs we'll probably do one big onion and (1) bell pepper. The word "piquant" means sticker or thorn in french. It was used due to the hot, spicy taste of the sauce, like having a thorn in your tongue. You can add jalapenos, cayenne and or rotel tomatoes if you'd like, but I don't.

Put a small amount of oil in your pot, med to high heat and thoroughly brown the chicken. Brown it well, leaving what sticks on the bottom for later. Don't let those grémille's (french for bits) sticking to the bottom burn. add a splash of water as needed. This should get a good "gravy" going.Take the browned chicken from the pot and add in your cut up onions and bell pepper to sweat, add a little water occasionally to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Scrape off all of that goodness that stuck to the bottom and stir it into your wilting mixture. DO NOT BURN THE ONIONS and BELL PEPPER, but make sure they're really soft. Use little splashes of water as necessary. This will take your attention.

Once the mixture is wilted and very soft, pour in a large can of tomato sauce and stir/mix in one can of tomato paste. Once the sauce and paste is well blended, let this sauce cook covered on low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This can be longer if you have the time. This should reduce and thicken the sauce and you're now ready for the chicken. Add the chicken and cook till done, fall of the bone tender. Pour your sauce over rice and add your favorite side, or sides. We'll do sweet peas today.
Be sure to watch it closely while cooking, adding a little water or chicken stock as needed. This should be a fairly thick sauce.


That's almost exactly how I figured you cooked it. I don't like the sound of rotel or jalapeños either...not exactly Cajun in my opinion. Figured thighs would be the choice too.

My mother in law does something similar except for the tomato sauce and paste part...I just call it chicken gravy.

Thank you for sharing. I have a pretty good Cajun cookbook from down that way but I always like hearing what different folks do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am

DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:The last day or two has given us a break from the constant down pours we've been having, and it seems we may have slipped into our usual summer pattern...


Aside from giving the dogs some crawfish pond time, all I've done this morning is change an airboat's oil and filter, and I'm dripping sweat. Highlight of my morning being cranking that sucker for a leak check and standing behind it.


I'll be soaked in a few hours. I hope the sea breeze is on today.



I was in the woods most of the morning until about 11... just now drying out and I stink.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:15 pm

This cooking discussion could get pleasantly out of hand, I can only hope.

Sounds like you're doing exactly what I do for my duck/sausage rice/gravy concoction I've been coming along to be proud of in recent months. And now I saw the point in that process where I've yet to divert into a sauce piquant, but would like to soon. Only thing I do different is usually the wife keeps a fair supply of chicken stock on hand so I can use that in lieu of the water, or sometimes, when you happen to have one handy, I'll use a splash of beer instead to deglaze, etc.

Think my mom (from Broussard) might use the Rotel as a shortcut on the sauce piquant as well if I recall correctly. We unfortunately lost her mom this time last year, but I got her go-to pot so the cajun country is thankfully built in :D

Your evening at the camp/tending the pot sounds awfully strong to me, enjoy!
User avatar
Darren
 
Posts: 3050
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: SE La Marsh

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Darren, the duck or speck and sausage gravy is a never ending pursuit of perfection.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:21 pm

Hope the sauce piquant comes out good DC.

Decided to thaw out some shrimp and use the last of my boil seasoning. These shrimp aren't huge but they are good. Bought them from the DeBarge's in south Cameron last September after a teal hunt in little Chenier area. Been buying from him last few years, has become a teal season tradition. ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 pm

Dang I want that shrimp.
My Yankee wife is quite proud of her duck gumbo but I'm pretty sure you guys would laugh your asses off.
Shrimp, duck, and smoked sausage along with a whole bunch of secret ingredients. She keeps the recipe book hidden.
How about going into great detail on your version and maybe we could add bits and pieces of "the real thing" into her recipe?
Not kidding. We love gumbo and like experimenting with flavors.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14634
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:05 pm

I haven't ever mixed seafood and meat but I want to try a duck and oyster gumbo, I've heard it's good.

Mine consist of onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and green onions if I have them as far as veggies.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 pm

From my cookbook Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 pm

It was damn good

20170721_195236.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:57 pm

She puts tomatoes in it I think.
Gumbo File powder is sort of hard to find up here.
Zatarain's OK?

We put ours on top of rice in a bowl then stir it up.

Crab meat. Ohyeah. That's one we hadn't thought of.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14634
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:45 pm

DComeaux wrote:It was damn good

20170721_195236.jpg


That looks really good...so much that I decided to cook one today after church. Your recipe is really goof and I'm very pleased how it turned out. I used 3 thighs and a link of rabideauxs green onion and garlic sausage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:48 pm

I like to put a lot of this stuff in it after it's in the bowl. Will it work good in authentic gumbo?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14634
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:It was damn good

20170721_195236.jpg


That looks really good...so much that I decided to cook one today after church. Your recipe is really goof and I'm very pleased how it turned out. I used 3 thighs and a link of rabideauxs green onion and garlic sausage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I really, really like the taste of Rabideauxs smoked sausage, but the last 3 packs had big chunks of bone in each link that I found with my teeth. I stopped buying it, waiting for that batch to get off of the shelves. Need more QC.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:11 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:It was damn good

20170721_195236.jpg


That looks really good...so much that I decided to cook one today after church. Your recipe is really goof and I'm very pleased how it turned out. I used 3 thighs and a link of rabideauxs green onion and garlic sausage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I really, really like the taste of Rabideauxs smoked sausage, but the last 3 packs had big chunks of bone in each link that I found with my teeth. I stopped buying it, waiting for that batch to get off of the shelves. Need more QC.


Dang. I haven't ever found any bones. Anytime my parents come up they bring some, or my buddy from Kinder comes up to hunt at my place I get paid back in rabideauxs sausage. It just makes everything taste better.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:It was damn good

20170721_195236.jpg


That looks really good...so much that I decided to cook one today after church. Your recipe is really goof and I'm very pleased how it turned out. I used 3 thighs and a link of rabideauxs green onion and garlic sausage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I really, really like the taste of Rabideauxs smoked sausage, but the last 3 packs had big chunks of bone in each link that I found with my teeth. I stopped buying it, waiting for that batch to get off of the shelves. Need more QC.


Dang. I haven't ever found any bones. Anytime my parents come up they bring some, or my buddy from Kinder comes up to hunt at my place I get paid back in rabideauxs sausage. It just makes everything taste better.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It's just my luck. I can't win the lottery, but I can find the only sausage in thousands of pounds with bones, three separate purchases in a row.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 am

Rain, Rain, Rain and more RAIN! I've had enough..
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 am

DComeaux wrote:Rain, Rain, Rain and more RAIN! I've had enough..


Ditto... moved a logger into a low area to cut some old large pine last week and it's rained ever since


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Ericdc
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 am

Apparently the Rabid-dog's sausage is not available up around here y'all.
Will trade 4 dozen ears of Illini Extra Sweet sweet corn for four pounds of the sausage.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
User avatar
aunt betty
 
Posts: 14634
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Location: East Side

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:47 am

DComeaux wrote:Rain, Rain, Rain and more RAIN! I've had enough..

Areas up here have been getting hammered pretty bad lately. I thought I was going to lose my wife's car in a parking lot last night :shock: Driving through pouring down rain, pulled into the parking lot where we were going, didn't think anything about driving into the standing water. About 1/3rd of the way in I realized that this was a hell of a lot deeper than I thought, but too late I was committed. At that point, I think had I stopped, when the wave came back it would have drown us out. Not sure what idiot designed that lot like a bowl, but I'm guessing there was a drain plugged somewhere or it just wasn't big enough for the huge downpour.

If you haven't seen this before, blue means streamflows are at levels they reach less than 10% of the time at that time. Black is higher than that. The rivers and streams near me are show 5% - 10% above previous records for the date :o
Image
User avatar
SpinnerMan
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:58 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Rain, Rain, Rain and more RAIN! I've had enough..

Areas up here have been getting hammered pretty bad lately. I thought I was going to lose my wife's car in a parking lot last night :shock: Driving through pouring down rain, pulled into the parking lot where we were going, didn't think anything about driving into the standing water. About 1/3rd of the way in I realized that this was a hell of a lot deeper than I thought, but too late I was committed. At that point, I think had I stopped, when the wave came back it would have drown us out. Not sure what idiot designed that lot like a bowl, but I'm guessing there was a drain plugged somewhere or it just wasn't big enough for the huge downpour.

If you haven't seen this before, blue means streamflows are at levels they reach less than 10% of the time at that time. Black is higher than that. The rivers and streams near me are show 5% - 10% above previous records for the date :o
Image


WOW!!!

I'm sitting here listening to the downpour that just started.... :roll: Just in time for lunch break.
User avatar
DComeaux
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests