Post Season 2017

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby DComeaux » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Seems to be herself, and I'm so relieved. No indication of any treatment that I can tell, as she pulled me along with the leash, and did her familiar barking in the kennel while we were traveling....and that made me smile. I know we're not done, but it's a good start. I have a pill regiment of doxycycline and prednisone to follow, which will be changing weekly. Hell!, I'm on doxycycline for the ta- tia's in my hand, which is getting better by the way.

Just some pills, monitoring, and leash walks until her next injections. She threw up a small amount of white foam after drinking when we got home, and I'd assume it's the medication shes taking. The assistant did tell me she would drink and pee a lot.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Sounds good to me.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Ellie is still doing good, popping pills morning and evening. She can't understand what happened to the routine of the afternoon fun time . A walk on the leash is not her favorite thing, and she gives me the sideways look and the evil eye.

Blake and I are scheduled to head back to the Marsh Sunday morning to complete our transplanting. I was told we will have access to a marsh hoe with operator this summer. Hopefully we get to build up a barrier on our south side.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:58 pm

DComeaux wrote:A walk on the leash is not her favorite thing, and she gives me the sideways look and the evil eye.

If she still has run of the house or kennel and feels like going for those walks, it beats the old regimen of crate confinement and being so sick she needs coaxed into going out for bathroom breaks.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:A walk on the leash is not her favorite thing, and she gives me the sideways look and the evil eye.

If she still has run of the house or kennel and feels like going for those walks, it beats the old regimen of crate confinement and being so sick she needs coaxed into going out for bathroom breaks.

That is the truth.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:16 pm

Still reading up on this heart worm stuff and I can't wait for it to be over. They highly stress keeping the dog calm, but Ellie goes nuts in the kennel when I or the wife and daughter pull up in the afternoon. She's not out of the woods yet, and this worries me.

@Rick, I found this on the immiticide they use.

Although Immiticide is a drug based on the poison, arsenic, it is much, much safer than the previous treatments with arsenic and unlike previous treatments, does not cause toxicosis (which is just another way of saying that it does not cause illness due to poisoning). However, this drug is not approved for any other animal than dogs and is not approved for human use.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:33 pm

If she's not miserable now, she's way ahead of the old game - regardless of how it eventually goes. Never one of my own, but have seen and dog sat for others I cared about going through the old treatment and, given no other option, might very well opt to let the worms run their course and put the dog down when it came time before watching one of mine go through that.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:31 pm

We spent the night at da camp in the marsh last night and got an early start with the work this morning. The water is wonderfully low which made things easy.

Took this right when we pulled up.
Before.JPG

After we collected and staked some bundles.
After.JPG

A few more angles of the blind and the pirouge hide. I staked quite a few bundles alongside some of the existing cord grass in a long narrow strip for the pirouge. Hopefully we get that marsh hoe this summer to build up the area. Erosion is going to take everything, if not.
DSCN1371.JPG

DSCN1368.JPG

DSCN1369.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Some of the fowl still hanging around on our place. A few blue wing buzzing around in the fog early this morning, and feeding later when we were leaving.

DSCN1373.JPG

DSCN1374.JPG

DSCN1379.JPG

DSCN1380.JPG

DSCN1384.JPG
Last edited by DComeaux on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:51 pm

We couldn't quite figure out what this was until I zoomed and got this shot. Seems to be a little drab for this time of year.

DSCN1385.JPG

Sun in the wrong direction and a long ways out. From the silhouettes, I'd say ruddy's.
DSCN1376.JPG

Near the gate, these resident canadas will probably nest here. There's something feeding in front of them.
DSCN1378.JPG

A little iridescents.
DSCN1383.JPG
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Blind's looking sweet.

Little surprised to see that gray hanging on. I'm not seeing much but teal, spoons and mottleds on my rounds with the hounds.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Rick wrote:Blind's looking sweet.

Little surprised to see that gray hanging on. I'm not seeing much but teal, spoons and mottleds on my rounds with the hounds.

Thanks. I hope the grass takes and towers upward this fall, cause I need some "bend over" to close that wide hollywood pit. The transplanting we were able to do on the last trip has fresh growth, so my confidence is up.

There were a few grays out there, which surprised us as well. I hope we have a stable weather year, and our water level stays low throughout the summer......I'm really looking forward to what might be.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 pm

DComeaux wrote:...I'm really looking forward to what might be.

Must be a duck hunter.
Rick

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 am

Like the pics. Thanks for sharing.
Ducaholic

Postby Deltaman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 am

Great pics Dave! The Mottle/Blue-Wing/Shoveller pic would look great in a frame on the camp wall :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Feel the cool north breeze and hear the fowl....I miss it already.

DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 am

Pretty much down to the seeds and stems these days, but the only specks I've seen in some time were now tame enough to let a man with two dogs approach close enough and maneuver around to get they and a pair of whoopers in the same frame day before yesterday:

Thought it ironic that the snowy egret that had been with the specks blew out and they didn't. 'Course I suppose they could have been crips that couldn't fly, but they didn't walk off, either, and we left them to their spring greens.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Ellie has done way better then I'd expected after her first round of treatment, and has actually gained just a little weight. She goes in next Monday for the two shot treatment and will remain there until Wednesday. I sure hope this final round goes as well as the first.

After reading a thread somewhere about PPP sport, I made the switch just before teal season this past year. It may have been on this site, and I know Rick made comments on it. I was feeding PPP savor shredded and found she prefers the sport. She seems to like the smaller nuggets, and I like what seems to be a change in her "wind" and activity level. She didn't lose the weight she normally would during the past seasons. I'm going to have lesson her portions until the season though, or she'll be rotund by then.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:51 am

Did not know there is a season on posts.
How many did you get?
Did you get a big one?
Did you eat them all?
Are they hard to clean?
Do you get splinters? :clap: :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 am

DComeaux wrote:Ellie has done way better then I'd expected after her first round of treatment, and has actually gained just a little weight. She goes in next Monday for the two shot treatment and will remain there until Wednesday. I sure hope this final round goes as well as the first.

Will be thinking of her today and crossing fingers and paws that all goes as it should.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:18 am

Dave I had missed your pics from the March blind work; it's looking really good! Hope water stays low to help that grass out. If it takes (or at least doesn't float off) your blind should be A+++ for sure. Going to be at least a couple months before we go check out our blind. Really hoping the marsh grass around it rebounds because we trampled it pretty good building it right before opener, and that just turned to slop thereafter through the season between us and Harry. Hunting it when land around us was flooded surely didn't help either
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:44 pm

I brought Ellie home today and she doesn't seem to be affected by this second round of poison (full kill 2 injections 24 hrs apart) same as she was after the first injection. The horror story's of old sure make me worry a lot. She's still in danger though, and I must try to keep this little dog calm and quiet, and that's not so easy. She barked and raised hell in the dog box all the way home, and she is a busy body.

I would assume the health of a dog going into this and it's level of infestation would have a lot to do with it's reaction to this treatment. This treatment seems to be a little faster than the "slow" kill method, and not as hard on the animals as the treatments of years past, that I've heard of and read about.

Four more weeks of checkups and I'm done, hopefully. As soon as the blood test are clear of microfilariae she will get her pro heart injection for prevention. This repeats every 6 months.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Glad to hear she is doing well Dave!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:43 pm

In the two cases I've been closest to (dog sat one during its nearly last days) the problem wasn't keeping them calm but getting them out of the crate to air and eat - then they died. So I'd say Ellie's treatment course is going great. Knock wood.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Shes not as active this evening and I noticed some swelling in her neck that I'm concerned about. I'll make a call to the vet in the morning to find out whats up.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:45 am

The swelling could just be reaction at the injection site, something Peake seems particularly prone to at annual shot time. Gets a pretty good knot that takes quite a while to subside. Trust that or something similar will be her case.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:53 am

Vet said it could be a temporary reaction to the (2) shots which were given in the deep muscle in the rear back, and It didn't seem as swollen this morning when I gave her her pills. I removed her collar last night before I went to bed, just in case. It was getting tight, and I wouldn't have slept if I hadn't done that.

I'll monitor her closely for a while...... I can't wait till this mess is over.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Shes happy this afternoon, and the swelling is down.

Ellie.jpg

The gray really pops out to me in this photo. My little girl is getting old.

1122.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:28 pm

DComeaux wrote:The gray really pops out to me in this photo. My little girl is getting old.

Fetch a mirror for him, Ellie.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017