Post Season 2017

Re: Post Season 2017

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:38 pm

aunt betty wrote:Started the gumbo. My daughter is begging mom to make her version which started out as a chicken gumbo recipe and we changed it to duck, shrimp, and smoked sausage. It's good but I want to do it authentic and compare side by side. (pics later)

I'm following the pirate recipe posted in this thread and I think I got my roux a bit dark.
Probably be alright. Here's what it looks like now. still has about 1.75 hours before I add the shrimp and held back green onions. Finally the file powder.
She brought home Tony Chachere's gumbo file.
Here's what it looks like now.
Plz tell me it's going to turn red like the stuff in the picture.
20170730_113459.jpg

It's got 4 chicken thighs, a pound of smoked sausage, and later a half-pound of shrimp. We had baby back ribs on the smoker Friday and still had three ribs left so I cut up the meat put it in and tossed the bones in too. Smokey. Oh yeah.
Meaty enough? :)

It won't be red because it's a gumbo not a sauce piquant.

Looks like you'll be eating on it for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Nothing wrong with a dark roux as long as you don't scorch it.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Ericdc wrote:Nothing wrong with a dark roux as long as you don't scorch it.

Pirate recipe said dark caramel color and another said almost as dark as chocolate.
I went for in between and probably scorched it a bit.
Every time I smell the pot it smells better.
She's starting hers now.
Starts with browning the two mallards.
20170730_125950.jpg

We gunna fight over what brand rice to use? Yankess like Uncle Bens but ask for it in Harrisburg, Arkansas and you'll get scoffed at.

Forgot to mention that my daughter is pregnant and craving gumbo so we're going to fix her up with two kinds.
Thanks for helping.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Just added the shrimp and the held back green onions.
It's tasty already. Smells great. The fat left on lips is divine.
20170730_133042 (1).jpg
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:55 pm

I think I could have added more file. It started getting shiny on the spoon so I quit adding it.
Says too much will make it slimy.
20170730_135245.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Now you're ready for a nap

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Try this sometime.
20170730_142728.jpg

20170730_142734.jpg
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Ericdc wrote:Now you're ready for a nap

Na, I've got a barn (shed) to paint. Nice north breeze. Low humidity and it's only 80 degrees.
Problem is my dick-head brother-in-law is camping on my extension ladder so I can only paint everything but the gables.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Like my wife's version better but am biased and a Yankee so wtf would I know.
Here's what it looks like.
I am sooo fat right now. :)
20170730_161711.jpg
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 am

We had a very productive weekend down at the camp. We were able to get the camper under cover but we had to raise the roof on one side of the RV cover, which we were trying to avoid. I was reaching china with the box scraper and we still didn't have the clearance needed for the top mounted AC. With a little coonass ingenuity and help from the tractors front end loader, a long 4x4 with a 2x4 nailed to the top, horizontally, we got er done. The roof with tin was split and lifted in manageable sections.

We ended up hauling some of the dirt back into the center, putting it on the inside of the RV wheel base area leaving just two deeper channels for the wheels. I sloped the area in the front of the RV down and away to keep the water out. I think we'll be okay. We also installed the flood vents in the walls and did some final trim work.

Next weekend is trash haul off and perimeter clean up. We'll get the inside cleaned up and start placing furniture. We still have a lot of work to do that will go on for some time, but we can call for the inspection and get that out of the way. We'll slowly get it where we want it, but for now a stove, table and chairs and other lounging devices will suffice. We're bringing the boat with us next weekend and plan a trip to the blind to have a closer look at things. Hopefully we don't have a whole lot of work to do out there. My legs and glutinous maximus are sore this morning from working on that roof. :lol:

RV snuggled into her spot
20170730_142522.jpg

Flood vents. The dimensions of each are figured by the square footage of each room in the structure. We had to install three.
20170730_122800.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:47 am

Neat DC, y'all in grand Chenier area right?

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:54 am

Ericdc wrote:Neat DC, y'all in grand Chenier area right?

Yes
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

I would love to have a camp up where I am but there just aren't many places for one. It's all ag land and homes. There are a couple camps but they are like multi blind club set ups. We are just 4 guys hunting 1 blind.

It's a 2 hour drive to the blind though. We are able to rent out a space in shop where we store our wheelers next to farm we hunt so that's really nice. It's a big farm shop so we have dry concrete floor and a roof over us while we are packing up to hunt or unpacking afterwards.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:18 am

Lookin good DC! Very familiar with the vents, we had to put two of them in our shed at the Shell Beach camp.....and the shed's floor is 9 ft above the usual water level!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:03 am

Ericdc wrote:I would love to have a camp up where I am but there just aren't many places for one. It's all ag land and homes. There are a couple camps but they are like multi blind club set ups. We are just 4 guys hunting 1 blind.

It's a 2 hour drive to the blind though. We are able to rent out a space in shop where we store our wheelers next to farm we hunt so that's really nice. It's a big farm shop so we have dry concrete floor and a roof over us while we are packing up to hunt or unpacking afterwards.

We have a two hour drive one way ourselves. I don't think I would last very long driving that every morning and evening. We had a 50 minute run, if we didn't make a stop, when we were hunting in Gueydan, that was doable, but two hours is a bit much for me. I do know of a few guy's that have done that trip for quite a few years though, I'd rather not.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:07 am

DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:I would love to have a camp up where I am but there just aren't many places for one. It's all ag land and homes. There are a couple camps but they are like multi blind club set ups. We are just 4 guys hunting 1 blind.

We have a two hour drive one way ourselves. I don't think I would last very long driving that every morning and evening. We had a 50 minute run, if we didn't make a stop, when we were hunting in Gueydan, that was doable, but two hours is a bit much for me. I do know of a few guy's that have done that trip for quite a few years though, I'd rather not.

Thankfully our drive is mostly interstate and 4 lane highways. I hunt about 25 times a year. Mostly Saturday's and weekdays when weather is right so I'm rarely hunting 2 days in a row unless it's opening weekend or something. I just try to pick the best days and hunt all day if needed. I seem to not be as tired if we hunt past lunch and eat in blind.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:14 am

Darren wrote:Lookin good DC! Very familiar with the vents, we had to put two of them in our shed at the Shell Beach camp.....and the shed's floor is 9 ft above the usual water level!

I don't understand why you had to put those on something 9' in the air, unless that is below the base flood elevation? To have a "livable" structure in our area, the floor has to be somewhere around 14' 6" above natural grade, depending on the actual grade elevation. That also changes depending on the year and persons involved.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:31 pm

Nine feet above "normal water level" does not necessarily mean that you need a stairway that's nine feet tall unless you're building at the water's edge.

Someday I should go to Banner Marsh walk-ins just to take pictures of the mobile home that's 25 feet off the ground.
State built the monstrocity for drawings. It's right next to the river below the river behind a fairly tall levee. When the levee breaks got no place to go...;)
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Something about how the shed is below the base flood elevation for the area, and also about how flood water forces on the shed walls could compromise the entire camp structure (shed is built into the piling set that the camp sits atop). So apparently FEMA's thinking is that two of those little bitty vents will somehow salvage the entire camp structure......don't get it.

Marsh Bear has the chain of events ironed out, can't wait to do that myself!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:52 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:DComeaux - you will really enjoy the camp - after the hunt, clean birds, clean your body, start cooking, have an adult beverage and relax - can't do that driving back home.

Nope, you cannot.....It was a no-brainer. The little rented camp we had last year was nice but it wasn't ours. I had intentions of using that camp again this year but this came up so we jumped on it. Not much available space down there with this set up, so we got lucky. I wasn't fully ready to do this and really didn't expect it to happen this quick...We just couldn't pass it up. There's long waiting list everywhere.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Darren wrote:Something about how the shed is below the base flood elevation for the area, and also about how flood water forces on the shed walls could compromise the entire camp structure (shed is built into the piling set that the camp sits atop). So apparently FEMA's thinking is that two of those little bitty vents will somehow salvage the entire camp structure......don't get it.

Marsh Bear has the chain of events ironed out, can't wait to do that myself!

I was thinking the same thing...I would have thought the cutouts would have been bigger but the formula gave us what you see. One thought I had is that the slow rise of the tide would allow water to enter and equalize pressure on the walls. It wouldn't be like a tsunami type event but more of a slow rise. What about wave action, though? Ground structures where we are have to have at least half of the wall screened, and if a solid bottom, you must install vents.

I'm currently waiting on word from the inspector.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:44 pm

The problem I see here is y'all are expecting gubment regulations to make sense.
Never question authority no matter how insane what it is telling you to do is.
Just dew it and pay extra to get er dun.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:00 pm

aunt betty wrote:The problem I see here is y'all are expecting gubment regulations to make sense.
Never question authority no matter how insane what it is telling you to do is.
Just dew it and pay extra to get er dun.

Thats what we're doing. Just can't help to wonder how they come up with some of these mandates.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:06 pm

Yea it was a zoo getting stuff ironed out for our shed; could not be seen a livable structure. Ok, so no toilet or sink, which many in the area have in their sheds for convenience. Fine; oh, but then the next hangup they had was the ceiling light!!! Eventually they let that slide after some push-back with, ya know, sound reasoning. Nonetheless your setup looks like it's coming together to be a sweet south La duck (and of course cooking) destination.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:08 pm

I'm following along. Have worked as both a civil engineer and mechanical engineer.

Hydrographs will drive you batty and I suspect that has a whole lot to do with what you guys are being told to do.
Figure out what a hydrograph is and how they get made. Look at some aerial photgraphs of your area, study them along with the type of vegetation there and you'll be well on your way to beginning to understand. It will only take four years of college in civil engineering. Once you got the aerial pictures you'll need a planimeter and a book on hydrographs.

If you get that all figured out I can point you to a job where you'll make in excess of $100k/year.
If you can do some surveying and the engineering too that would pay 50% more. Problem is...it's actually hard work.
The surveying part is a royal pita. Especially where you all hang out.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:58 am

Down on the coast it's more so about the storm surge potential. The area our camp is in (St. Bernard Parish) saw a 19 foot storm surge for Katrina; nope, I didn't omit a decimal in there. As such, our camp is built 22 ft up. Our shed is the only thing below the base flood elevation, so thats why we had to take extra measures to mitigate flood damage risk. Similar with Dave's place, he's on the ground so had to do similar measures.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Look a-here boys... The teal are revving up there motors.

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/cool-mild-start-august-2017-plains-midwest-south-east

cool_start_aug_0801.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:37 pm

DComeaux wrote:Look a-here boys... The teal are revving up there motors.

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/cool-mild-start-august-2017-plains-midwest-south-east

cool_start_aug_0801.jpg

Haha... I bet most of them are still flightless from summer molt, but either way.. I'll take it

Just not the rain

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:03 pm

It's a trick. August is still coming.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2016-2017