2016-2017 Season Log

Re: 2016-2017 Season Log

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:02 pm

"Rick"Date: 9/25 Cloud Cover: partly with rain cells to the south

Those cells gave us a light show this morning but left us alone, staying just to our east.

Looks like what's here wants to stay in the rice, or close to it. Good to see you getting it done.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:33 pm

We were very, very fortunate to have the season we did.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Date: 9/25

Time: afternoon

Cloud Cover: partly

Wind Direction and Velocity: south moderate

Temperature: Breeze wasn't enough to keep us from sweating.

Moon phase:

Special Notes: last hunt for September teal

Waterfowl Activity: Was nearly 6pm before they got to shoot, but it then picked up enough to make another nice shoot.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Some plainly knew the drill and would blow by us and sit a hundred or two yards out, while others ate us up.

Hunters: 2, Mike again and his nephew Josh who shot his first however many specks with us perhaps ten years ago but I'd not seen since.

Guns:

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): DOC got some more OJT and did a bit better marking when he was paying attention, but still isn't putting how the game works together, much less his role in it. But it may be that Mike has seen - and waded - enough to spend some time on his education.

Special Equipment: just an big spinner

Curses: Only that the September season is over.

Kudos: Passed a nice time with good folks. And Josh led off with a triple, and it was fun to watch him beam.

Birds By Species: 12 bw teal

Photo Ops: Mike was still taking "working with the dog" more literally than I'd want to:

But DOC did some better on his own than yesterday afternoon, too:

And talk about your motley crews:
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:It was our best teal season in 10 years

Perhaps that marsh is finally returning to normal after the hurricane Rita and Ike salt surge years.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:45 pm

I blame Darren for setting the precedent of a teal season wrap-up last year, but there are a few things I'd rather not be lost to the haze the regular season becomes, so I'll take the rap for continuing the practice:

Date: September teal

Time: Hunted every morning but not nearly as many afternoons as some of our camp's crew did, in part by virtue of getting most or all of my birds in the morning more often than most.

Location: All of my morning hunts but one were at my marsh "Mudhole," a shrinking pothole in floating marsh to which I become more attached each season and for which I am most grateful:
(That being about as far into it as Marsh was allowed to swim from the blind, before that, too, was curtailed.)

All of my afternoon hunts were on a new ag land lease where volunteer duck salad was drawing most of the area's ducks away from miles and miles of flooded rice:

Cloud Cover: If memory serves, we only hunted in rain one morning - but that rain dumped 2 3/8" while we hunted.

Wind Direction and Velocity: Next to no northerly wind of much significance and "North 0 mph" one such morning.

Temperature: Varied from hot to miserable most mornings with afternoon breezes being the salvation of some late afternoon hunts and only a strong late flight saving others:

Moon phase: A full moon did coincide with some of our slowest hunting, but those were also mid week days, when marsh hunting without weather is generally slow due to little hunting pressure in the rice.

Special Notes: "Historic" flooding had the marsh high and far, far more ag land feeds flooded than normal.

Waterfowl Activity: The September survey flown just before the season found the second fewest teal on record, with just two big concentrations spotted in our part of the state. Between the flood conditions and low bird numbers, hunting pressure was relatively low in our area, as reflected by both shots heard around and teal seen over our marsh.

Were, however, plenty of wood ducks in the marsh to help keep us entertained and on our ID toes:

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Low bird numbers over the marsh forced a change of attitude toward the high teal flights I've generally written off as unstoppable in the past - or, even more frustrating, most apt to slide off following the more open water behind my isolated pothole to more favorable marsh if they did decide to break for my gadgets or calling. I became desperate enough to hail and holler like heck at the "too high" birds and found keeping on them loud and long enough didn't just break many down but swung them around and back towards the little Mudhole. Had been experimenting with an initially disappointing replacement Daisy Cutter insert and set it to imitate particularly squacky hens, like grays and pins, as well as teal, and it's proven quite the ticket for the later. It's a skosh lower pitched and scratchier than the bored out MVP with a teal-cut reed and out-preformed it in the marsh repeatedly throughout the season.

Perhaps oddly, the teal-tuned MVP still held sway on ag land hunts. My theory being that the brasher DC was the better breaking call for a place like the marsh where birds weren't as locked into settling into a set location, and that the more accurate MVP was better for finessing birds that were set on settling somewhere into the farm's duck salad into doing so in front of our guns. Have no way of really knowing, but expect to carry both calls again next September.

Hunters: Teal season is a time when the great majority of our hunters are local, and local interest varies greatly with the first weekend's reported success or lack thereof, which leaned strongly to the later this year. So business was off, and even those of us with stronger places had a good bit of "family and friends" time:

And I was absolutely blessed with the quality of camp guests I took. All super nice folks and mostly keen shots who often made their own hunts, perhaps because generally poor conditions had culled the hunter pool of casual guns.

Guns:

Malfunctions: The only notable one I recall was an Extrema II that was hinky until it blew its magazine cap off on the last teal of the hunt. But to say that particular gun has been shot a lot would be wild understatement.

Dog(s): We're seeing a changing of the guard this year, with my dear but deaf old friend, Peake, settling into retirement from working pay hunts and our young gun, Marsh, taking over those duties. Just how ready for prime time Marsh may be remains to be seen, but he's had a pretty good teal season, becoming both more adept at hunting on his own and trusting my direction when need be. Peake, on the other hand, has made it pretty plain its time for him to retire to play hunting with me and perhaps a few close friend. Even ate a teal to prove the point.

Special Equipment: Ran both standard and teal spinners on opposite ends of the Mudhole and paired a standard with dove spinners on two ag land hunts, with one on either side of a levee the wind ran down, and there was no question the birds favored the standard in both venues. Also ran a Mallard Machine modified to splash, as well as dip, and found it useful for both drawing attention from the blind when birds power dove over us and helping put them front and center on low or final passes.

Curses: Just the flood related hassles and the effect of a generally pee-poor season on business.

Kudos: I made some new friends, enjoyed hunting with some old ones and passed a mighty fine time.

Birds By Species: 271 bluewing teal (no greenwings or bands)

Photo Ops: Probably took more photos of our wood duck friends than anything else:

Lagniappe: From a personal standpoint, by far the most significant, and bittersweet, thing about our September season was watching my old partner, Peake, ease into retirement:

and my new partner, Marsh, charge into his new profession:

Hope I've the sense not to judge Marsh by the size of the tracks Peake has left on my life.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:02 pm

Date: 11/5/16

Time: morning

Cloud Cover: clear

Wind Direction and Velocity: NE moderate

Temperature: comfortable

Moon phase: small

Special Notes: Youth Day

Waterfowl Activity: First birds in were a mallard pair and we saw four more later, also had chances a few nice groups of grays and one threesome w/a wigeon, and a big sprig flight came but caught us. Plus the expected woodies and mottleds. The big surprise was an almost complete lack of teal, with very few seen way out and only one mixed group giving Will a chance.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Most birds came pretty as you please with several landing, and it was sweet to work a HIGH flight of specks down into what for most would be gimme range without another blind banging them out.

Hunters: Grandpa Mark with young Will our shooter.

Guns: Youth Mossberg

Malfunctions: Had some trouble getting used to operating the gun, but he was getting off three shots by hunt's end.

Dog(s): Marsh was very patient with us.

Special Equipment: spinner and modified mallard machine

Curses: Only that Will couldn't connect with anything.

Kudos: Great folks, and we got to work tame birds and shoot a box of shells.

Birds By Species: No birds were harmed in the making of this adventure.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Rick we saw a good many high flights of little birds headed south out of Arkansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm guessing there just wasn't enough speck hunting pressure to push the teal that are here out of the rice.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:30 pm

Rick wrote:I'm guessing there just wasn't enough speck hunting pressure to push the teal that are here out of the rice.

Crew a good ways south of us towards mer rouge killed 26 specks before 7:30. But they didn't stir them up enough to send any north towards us.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:30 am

Gathered my field grip last evening and got up intending to make a little me and the pup speck hunt this morning, but ended up puttering around, instead of going. If I wasn't already, I'm now officially old - I guess. Maybe tomorrow...
Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:35 am

And while I'd like to think I'd do it again, anyway, it's sure been wearing on me that we educated so many of my local mottleds yesterday. Maybe I'm not quite that old yet.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:58 am

Rick wrote:Gathered my field grip last evening and got up intending to make a little me and the pup speck hunt this morning, but ended up puttering around, instead of going. If I wasn't already, I'm now officially old - I guess. Maybe tomorrow...

Did the same thing this weekend. Kind of made the "get ready" motions then when alarm went off, went outside and it's dead calm. No wind...screw it and went back to bed. Two days in a row. Maybe tomorrow the wind will blow a little.
It's just not ducky yet. Good cold front and you won't be able to stop me. The ducks here come thru quickly and only when they're pushed by weather. Took me years of going on fruitless miserable hunts to figure out when to stay home and when to be on a quest.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:15 pm

While running the hounds in the country this morning, it came to me that I'd screwed up in planning to take the young one, instead of using the opportunity to get the old coyote on some birds. Now I've a sense of purpose for the morrow...
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:10 pm

Date: 11/12

Wind Direction and Velocity: nil

Temperature: cool/50s

Moon phase: 95% waxing

Special Notes: opening morning

Waterfowl Activity: Disappointing for an opener on our end of the marsh, but heard teal buzzed the east end in great waves.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Big ducks tried to work but were usually banged out by other blinds shooting, woodies came sweet for squeals on speck call and teal were skittish from new pressure but could be often be brought around. Already having some second thoughts about fooling with teal cut DC, but we'll see...

Hunters: 2, father and grown son, Joel and Joel

Guns:

Malfunctions: MMM switch broke again

Dog(s): Marsh did well other than one handling glitch and even passed dead "poison" birds when being handled to lively ones.

Special Equipment: SOS: spinner on for little ducks and off for big ones, plus modified mallard machine.

Curses: Just the surprisingly lackluster flight.

Kudos: Still plenty.

Birds By Species: 2 bw teal, 11 gw teal, 1 wigeon and 4 wood ducks

Photo Ops: Joels younger and elder:
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:55 pm

johnc wrote:Good eating birds

only thing that could have made that better eating wise would have been a speck and maybe a pintail

although I have heard squealers are excellent

Yea my favorites in order, based on normal species at my place,

Speck
Gwt
Wigeon
Pintail
Bwt

I rarely kill wood ducks anymore since I mostly hunt fields and brothers marsh spot occasionally. Used to hunt a lot of public timber but it's become a circus up here, and the wood duck spot I had close to house went from public to high dollar deer lease.

Enjoy shooting mallards and gadwall because they work so pretty at my blind, but not best eating.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:07 am

I'd as soon eat the squealers as any of them, but they flat missed our only fulvous chance. They're all but gone now, and should we see another, I'm shooting, too, to try to insure that species' inclusion in the log.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:30 am

Rick wrote:I'd as soon eat the squealers as any of them, but they flat missed our only fulvous chance. They're all but gone now, and should we see another, I'm shooting, too, to try to insure that species' inclusion in the log.

In 2007-08 season my buddy's lease then, where my brother is now we killed them by the dozens. At first they all wouldn't shoot them cuz they thought they were a trash duck, I told them. Kill a few, eat them, and get back to me on that.

I bet they get shot at a lot more than they used to.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:42 pm

Date: 11/13

Cloud Cover: heavy

Wind Direction and Velocity: north light to moderate

Temperature: lower 50s

Moon phase: nearly full

Special Notes:

Waterfowl Activity: Much less moving than yesterday, particularly teal.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Thankfully good, because it was skinny out there. Already thinking about putting the over-bored MVP on the string for more reach.

Hunters: 2, Ben and Donny

Guns:

Malfunctions: Bady bent barrels

Dog(s): Marsh did better after yesterday afternoon's casting refresher. Getting better at tracking with experience.

Special Equipment: SOS: spinner and MMM

Curses: just that it got so slow so quick and we shot so poorly

Kudos: Might have been an ugly strap, but it was fuller than all but one other in our marsh.

Birds By Species: 1 bw teal, 1 gadwall, 3 gw teal, 4 mallards, 1 pintail, 5 ringnecks, 2 shovelers and 1 wood duck

Photo Ops: "Found this in the marsh, Dad, can I keep it?"

Ben and Donny:
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Very nice mix, especially neat (and tasty) to see woodies make the strap twice in as many hunts
Darren

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Woulda, coulda, shoulda been a half dozen of them. Just a scabby morning with pee-poor shooting and too little crowd control. Lucky the blackjacks kept coming by for laughs. Could be way too "interesting" until ducks open north of 14 next weekend.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Susie's took a beating haha

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:58 pm

The mud hole doing it's thing.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:31 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
Ericdc wrote:Susie's took a beating haha

Haha I was going to comment the same thing. Rick did only Susie's come in or were your hunters just from Alabama (if we see brown it's down)? There was an opener several years ago where we were seeing groups of mallards with 60-70% hens. Needless to say quite a few hens took a beating that day too

First came by herself, and the other three were part of a lesbian flock without any males. But we were definitely in "ducks is ducks" mode.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Date: 11/13

Time: afternoon

Cloud Cover: heavy

Wind Direction and Velocity: north moderate to light

Temperature: cool

Moon phase: "super"

Special Notes:

Waterfowl Activity: Next to nothing moving and what did was HIGH

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Only called for show. Well, that and out of boredom.

Hunters: 4, long time regular, John, and three buddies new to the camp

Guns:

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): Marsh was remarkably patient for a young dog.

Special Equipment:

Curses: No flight

Kudos: Didn't miss a bird.

Birds By Species: DNS. Did not, in fact, think about shooting.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:14 pm

Date: 11/14

Wind Direction and Velocity: none to nil

Temperature: pleasantly chilly

Moon phase: super

Special Notes:

Waterfowl Activity: Grim. No big ducks other than a few local mottleds to be seen, and only a handful of little ones on our end - while the east end binged and banged at ringnecks and teal all morning.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Thank golly-goodness what little passed by came in.

Hunters: 2, John and his buddy who scratched with me yesterday afternoon

Guns:

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): Marsh did a good job, but we still lost a chipped ringneck

Special Equipment: SOS

Curses: no birds

Kudos: guys were good about it

Birds By Species: 4 gw teal and 2 wood ducks.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:28 pm

The ducks were at the super moon party.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2016-2017