Looking ahead...

Looking ahead...

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:29 am

Moved two bluewings (along with some mottleds and black-bellies) from volunteer rice in a crawfish pond yesterday morning. 'Spose it's on?

OK, so they were carryovers. But we are seeing signs that their season is, indeed, coming. Most rice is heading out, and some is turning, and I found the first gator nest of their summer season:

It (and the others yesterday's hiking turned up) was still under construction, but it's a start.
Rick

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 am

I was planning on making a ride over to the delta today, but we've gotten a good bit of rain and I thought it best not to go and drive on any farm roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:45 am

We have a resident population of black bellies that spend March through October here in Quitman. They spent a bulk of their time on a friend of mine's pond.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 am

Ericdc wrote:I was planning on making a ride over to the delta today, but we've gotten a good bit of rain and I thought it best not to go and drive on any farm roads.

Never good to cut a farm road you're not fixing - well, maybe if someone's having a heart attack. But that's the only acceptable excuse that comes to mind.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:58 am

Rick wrote:
Ericdc wrote:I was planning on making a ride over to the delta today, but we've gotten a good bit of rain and I thought it best not to go and drive on any farm roads.

Never good to cut a farm road you're not fixing - well, maybe if someone's having a heart attack. But that's the only acceptable excuse that comes to mind.

Right, especially if you're just a hunter sightseeing. Wouldn't even want to put the 4 wheeler on farm we lease today.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:05 am

Ericdc wrote:We have a resident population of black bellies that spend March through October here in Quitman. They spent a bulk of their time on a friend of mine's pond.

I keep a herding dog whistle on the string with my regular dog whistles and have been deviling the pee out of the black-bellies and squealers with it. Sometimes carry a duck call for mottleds, too, but an extended single quack series seems the only thing apt to draw them this time of year. Wish I'd had it yesterday to try the teal with but didn't. Will no doubt make a habit of having one in my pocket well before the migrant bluewings show in late August.
Last edited by Rick on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:07 am

Rick wrote:
Ericdc wrote:We have a resident population of black bellies that spend March through October here in Quitman. They spent a bulk of their time on a friend of mine's pond.

I keep a herding dog whistle on the string with my regular dog whistles and have been deviling the pee out of the black-bellies and squealers with it. Sometimes carry a duck call, too, but an extended single quack series seems the only thing apt to draw them this time of year. Wish I'd had it yesterday to try the teal with but didn't. Will no doubt make a habit of having one in my pocket well before the migrant bluewings show in late August.

Hard to believe that's only 2 hot months away.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:06 am

Still pretty close to three. Not that I'm counting...
Rick

Postby DukMan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Sept 1st here in WI
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:05 pm

In about six to eight weeks we'll get to start reading the "waterfowl forecasts".
I predict that it's going to be epic. Be very very careful this season because if you're not careful you'll shoot six or seven birds with one shot and put yourself over limit. (eight or nine if you use 3.5" shellls)
It's going to be epic!
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:40 pm

aunt betty wrote:In about six to eight weeks we'll get to start reading the "waterfowl forecasts".
I predict that it's going to be epic. Be very very careful this season because if you're not careful you'll shoot six or seven birds with one shot and put yourself over limit. (eight or nine if you use 3.5" shellls)
It's going to be epic!

Nah, if it is that epic, they will toss the limits and you'll be golden :thumbsup:

At least until you wake up.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Gonna make it epic whether it wants to be or not.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:11 pm

I hate that word epic.

I'm going to enjoy it almost regardless. The year I fell on the 2nd day of duck season and dislocated my elbow was epic, epic in the stupid, but not exactly enjoyable.

Spinnerclese will set out upon his epic adventure to slay the mighty duckicus and goosicus with a thunderous rain of steely death.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:46 pm

How about calling it incredible or fantastic? (lacking credibility or fantasy-like)
Fantastic duck season coming right up. It will be a blizzard in mid-october caused by man-made global warming ie:climate change. Better catch-em quick spinner cuz they leave licketty split when that chit happens.
Blame it on an ex-president....your choice.
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 pm

IDK about your states but WI went to creating their waterfowl limits and season structure in the spring before the US F+G forecast and counts even come out... How they determine the limits and dates prior to having any knowledge of nesting pairs is beyond me... Knowing full well aerial surveys don't mean anything and season harvests have no effect on overall birds populations... It still makes me wonder what their logic is...thoughts?
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 am

As I understand it, waiting for the current year's data before proposing regulations didn't allow time for an environmental law mandated review period and required going through whatever hoops there are for an emergency declaration or some such to get around that law. Working off last year's data lets them start early enough to avoid the "emergency" hoops they'd been going through.

As to why bother at all, I'd think the antis would have grounds to tie the regs up in court and prevent seasons if the biologists couldn't present the case for providing them.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Rick wrote:Still pretty close to three. Not that I'm counting...

I was saying 2 months till late August.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:49 pm

The way Larry Reynolds explained it was that we might hunt 1 extra year under liberal regs when we would have been under moderate regs or vice versa. So the thought process is that it will even out.

I'm Sure it helps some folks planning by having the dates set before summer rather than in August.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:58 pm

The bluewings are here! They're way early on a year we moved to push it back as late as we could, oh no! :lol:

Neat to get out and about. I enjoyed my ducky chores friday evening at the camp myself. Even talked ducks for half my segment on local radio show Saturday morning. Planning to make it to the duck fest this year, haven't been in a good while so may catch a few of you there.
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 am

Was out on Lacassine Land Co. yesterday morning and ran into Jude and Mike, who run the company's membership and stockholder camps, pulling crawfish traps from a pond with tons of volunteer rice the squealers were beating up, and Mike offered, "Just have to work through the bad stuff to get to the good stuff."

"Whole lot of worse places to do that," I thought.

And I thought it again later in the afternoon when I jumped a dandy buck with a wide velvet rack while walking a grown-over canal bank in the middle of nowhere. Won't be too much longer until we get to "the good stuff," but this ain't bad.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:56 am

DukMan wrote:It still makes me wonder what their logic is...thoughts?

The great and famous Jehler once told me that you can't apply logic to politics/govt. This is one of them cases where he's right.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 am

aunt betty wrote:

The great and famous Jehler once told me that you can't apply logic to politics/govt. This is one of them cases where he's right.

Larry Reynolds explanation

Question
For the life of me I can't understand why they set the season now. So much can change in the spring, summer with breading conditions.

Larry's response
Because duck populations don't fluctuate all that much from year to year ..... they tend to "trend" in a direction over a number of years. Pintail populations have been declining for the last 3 years; they just now reached the level of not supporting the 2 bird bag. More important, our harvest regulations don't seem to affect that trend; when we restrict, the population does not rebound and when we liberalize, the population continues to increase. Lastly, we've been setting goose regulations on prior year data for years, and the Canadians have been setting their seasons in October of the year before. Consequently, there seems to be little risk in a 1-year lag time between the population data being collected and the seasons being set. In exchange, we set the seasons earlier and the USFWS has time to go through all the legal processes required for the setting of federal law, which have been shorted for all these years, and the process made even worse by extended frameworks. This change was a legal/administrative change forced upon us by the bounds of legal law-setting that could only be overcome by convincing biological issues. For ducks, that doesn't seem to be all that big a deal. Time will tell.

Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:15 am

aunt betty wrote:

There is always logic in politics and government. Rarely is it the logic we would apply. They want the same as we do, but what it takes for them to get it is very different than what it takes for us to get it. The biggest driver is simply minimizing headaches. In your job, profession, life, etc. minimizing headaches comes from doing the right thing. In government and bureaucracy, it generally comes from appearing to do a lot while doing absolutely nothing at all. Do something? Someone is going to give you a headache. Look as if you are doing nothing. Someone is going to give you a headache. Look like you are doing something, those that will give you a headache for doing nothing leave you a lone and if you do nothing, those that will give you a headache if you do something will leave you alone.

You want to understand the logic, this is a good read.

https://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2009/06/09/varieties-of-nothing-n1286340
What do you think all the Russia investigation of Trump is? The losers are pissed, so they demand something. So there is a great big show of doing nothing while appearing to do something. There is nothing they can do, but that would give them a headache, so the big show of doing something that in the end is nothing. All those Obamacare repeals when Obama was President. Big show and now when they have no choice but to do something, they crap their pants because they have spent a lifetime mastering the art of appearing to do a lot while having to do nothing at all.

As far as using last years information. How good are their models? How important is being one year off? It may make no difference over the next 20 years which approach they use. Maybe a little more up and down from year to year, but does it make any real difference. We all know that it is both population and weather that impact the harvests. It could very well have no significant impact on the health of the various populations of ducks and geese over the course of decades. To me and my very limited knowledge of the population and harvest models they use, it would seem to have no big effect and they always have the option of changing them if something dramatic and unexpected happens such as a major drought. Then again, it could just be that this results in less headaches.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:00 am

Rick ya ought to keep close tabs on that buck! I'd figure I wouldn't mind piddling around Lacassine's properties in the offseason either.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:29 am

"What do you think all the Russia investigation of Trump is? The losers are pissed, so they demand something. So there is a great big show of doing nothing while appearing to do something. There is nothing they can do, but that would give them a headache, so the big show of doing something that in the end is nothing. All those Obamacare repeals when Obama was President. Big show and now when they have no choice but to do something, they crap their pants because they have spent a lifetime mastering the art of appearing to do a lot while having to do nothing at all."

Damn good analogy Spinner!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:31 am

Deltaman wrote:"What do you think all the Russia investigation of Trump is? The losers are pissed, so they demand something. So there is a great big show of doing nothing while appearing to do something. There is nothing they can do, but that would give them a headache, so the big show of doing something that in the end is nothing. All those Obamacare repeals when Obama was President. Big show and now when they have no choice but to do something, they crap their pants because they have spent a lifetime mastering the art of appearing to do a lot while having to do nothing at all."

Yea they're all pretty much the same. I converted to libertarian haha.

Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Ericdc wrote:
Deltaman wrote:"What do you think all the Russia investigation of Trump is? The losers are pissed, so they demand something. So there is a great big show of doing nothing while appearing to do something. There is nothing they can do, but that would give them a headache, so the big show of doing something that in the end is nothing. All those Obamacare repeals when Obama was President. Big show and now when they have no choice but to do something, they crap their pants because they have spent a lifetime mastering the art of appearing to do a lot while having to do nothing at all."

The Libertarians are the ultimate in the look busy, do nothing. While the philosophy has a fairly large following, they almost never win anything. I left them decades ago when I realized all that L stood for was loser.

What's so frustrating is that if the libertarians would run in the Democrat and Republican primaries, they could win and have a real positive impact as a few high profile examples have done. Instead it is the party of has-been's and never-will-be's. They exemplify the great skill of every backseat driver that is afraid to take the wheel.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:44 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Ericdc wrote:

The Libertarians are the ultimate in the look busy, do nothing. While the philosophy has a fairly large following, they almost never win anything. I left them decades ago when I realized all that L stood for was loser.

What's so frustrating is that if the libertarians would run in the Democrat and Republican primaries, they could win and have a real positive impact as a few high profile examples have done. Instead it is the party of has-been's and never-will-be's. They exemplify the great skill of every backseat driver that is afraid to take the wheel.

They've tried and the establishment rejected them. Like Ron Paul and his son Rand. We'll see, but republicans have become democrat-lite on most issues, especially spending.
I think they'll continue to build the party especially among younger folks.

So far the R's are really crapping their pants with the excellent opportunity they have to make changes

Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Ericdc wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Ericdc wrote:

They've tried and the establishment rejected them. Like Ron Paul and his son Rand. We'll see, but republicans have become democrat-lite on most issues, especially spending.
I think they'll continue to build the party especially among younger folks.

So far the R's are really crapping their pants with the excellent opportunity they have to make changes

That's my point. Very, very few have done what Rand and Ron Paul have done. Yet look at the influence just those two have had. Now imagine if even 10 more had run in Republican primaries and won seats. Of course the establishment will reject them. You must defeat them. You have to win elections and not build a party of young folks that waste their time and energy on a bunch of losers. The Paul's showed the path to making a difference.

Most of the past libertarian party candidates have showed the path to being spoilers and electing Democrat-heavy instead of Democrat-lite. The practical result being of moving things even further in the opposite direction that they desire.

They really do need to start looking ahead and not be obsessed with labels.

Run as a libertarian in the Republican or Democrat primaries where they will actual win a meaningful number of elections and be able to influence the nation in a positive direction. Just think what 5 Rand Paul's in the Senate and 25 Ron Paul's in the House could have done. We'd have a balanced budget most likely. We'd have far less stupid laws and regulations. We wouldn't have the small decentralized government we should, but we'd be vastly better than we are today.

I heard the exact same thing 25 years ago when I called myself a libertarian. They've been on this failed path for well over a quarter century. But they'll get to it tomorrow :thumbsup:

The establishment has no desire to change. It will take a pitchfork up their asses and a big part of that is well qualified, articulate small government/libertarian types running in the primaries putting the fear of losing their cushy positions into them. It won't take a lot and they will be hated. The establishment won't just reject them. They will spit venom at them and do whatever it takes to destroy them. This is politics. This isn't preaching to the choir. This is trying to defeat organized criminal enterprises that have 10's of billions if not 100's of billions of dollars per year of graft and corruption to protect.

But if you just want to go around and make speeches to adoring audience of young libertarians. Be a minor celebrity, smoke some weed, maybe bang some young hottie fans, ... Then that is the libertarian party that has existed for generations and produced nothing but a perpetual look busy and do nothing political movement.

It really disappoints me because I see such potential and while I do not consider myself a libertarian over all, I agree with a large fraction of what most libertarians do. They could be a powerful positive influence. They just have to decide they want to win elections and that requires running in the Democrat and Republican primaries like the Paul's. You will still be rejected, but you cannot be ignored as they are now.
SpinnerMan

Next

Return to Rick 2016-2017