Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am

Likely the neatest waterfowl mount I've ever seen was a pair of spoons done by a Chevron engineer who took up taxidermy as an art. Would do a type of bird or animal time and again until he felt he'd pegged it, then move on. Never did it commercially, just for his own enjoyment.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:18 pm

johnc wrote:
Darren wrote:Looking good man! I've paid good money for stuff that didn't look half that nice

Thanks,just starting out

Not looking to take money until I am competent,then no big dreams of making millions

Certainly on the right track! Look forward to seeing more
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:33 pm

johnc wrote:
IMG_1576.JPG

I won this CZ swamp camo over and under for best overall waterfowl caller in the recent worlds in Katy

I have no use for this gun

it has 30 inch barrel's and I thin 3.5" chamber

it retails for about $930,,,have seen in stores for around $830

I am willing to sell for 750 as I am not trying to screw anyone

I bet a 3.5" would hurt out of it. Put ad on FB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Adam the giant might be interested in that shotgun. Post picture of the label on the box.
He says if you break it into two pieces that you can ship it yourself.
Then he said it's too big. Nevermind sorry. I tried.
For some reason I thought he'd want it.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Haven't been carrying a camera nearly as religiously as I used to, but downloaded what little was on one and found these reminders of an interesting lady I met:

012a.jpg

018a.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Chute it Jacob.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:21 am

That one's worth a hell of a lot more alive than dead.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:44 am

A friend in Savannah who's partial to them asked for blackbelly video, so I shot these two yesterday where we park at a crawfish pond to run the dogs often enough that they've become quite used to us. (Dogs were already off and running another direction when I saw the ducks were still there and dug an old camera out of the truck's tool bag.):

FIle was too big to attach to an e-mail, so he'll have to settle for a link to it here.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:23 am

Careful there Rick or you'll lure me to sportsman's paradise and I'll start posting about it and bring my followers. :clap:
Them black bellies can't be mistaken and they sort of glow due to the black bellies, orange bills, and light colored heads.
Which is the drake? Guessing the one on the left.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:01 am

I've no idea which is the drake but do know the black-bellies most distinguishing characteristic in flight is its white wing patch. Otherwise, they and their fulvous cousins share the same half-duck/half-goose silhouette, That, and neither seem capable of flight without whistling.

Thought I might have video example but can't find it, only the fulvous version that lack the white wing patches:

Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 am

Have zero desire to shoot whistlers. The BWT on the other hand...you might have to count for me and tell me when to stop.
It's been a long long time since I've even seen one of them tiny mini-geese.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 am

101 users online and only about 5 post posts. Care to bet that the other 96 are gw's phishing for betty? Couple bots.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:31 am

I won't turn my nose up at teal on the plate, but the whistling ducks are my table favorites. Rub being that shooting them is about like what shooting sea gulls might be. Bluewings get my vote for second most fun to gun, right after greenwings.

Will, btw, be pot-roasting the last of last year's bluewings this afternoon.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:12 am

Jarren wrote:...at the turn around

Don't know who to, yet, but that piece was sold again, so I've probably lost my access to my favorite place in Louisiana. Need to make one last trip to visit the fine dogs I've buried there: Bud, Chien, Blue and Chas. (Kie is on a neighboring piece I've still access to, in the spot he pegged his first quail, and I expect to place Peake there with the "brother" he adored.) Chokes me up to think about no longer being able to do so.
Last edited by Rick on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:13 am

aunt betty wrote:Have zero desire to shoot whistlers.

I'm big on getting different species, especially ones I have been around.

Specks is probably number one on that list. Saw tons of them snow goose hunting, but the season was long closed but they often put on a great show for us.

Blackbellies, I've seen a lot in Florida over the years. Them and mottled ducks are up there on the ducks I want to get.

Up here, something I actually have a chance is BWT. I've let a few slip by over the years during early season without a shot fired. They seem to be my tease me species.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 am

Whistler legs make a fine jambalaya.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 am

Marsh Bear wrote: camp in Pecan Island, the club has been in existence since the early 1950s, and they have never hunted teal during the early season.

Up until 7 years ago I had never bothered with teal season. Hunting the marsh back then in a different scenario than today, the logistics and set up were more than I wanted to deal with for only two weekends.
I do remember making one teal hunt in the early 80's with Doug's. It was a DIY, point you to the field excursion.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Le'me tells you 'bout this displaced hillbilly's first teal hunt in Pecan Island. Went with a Lafayette friend to his Vermilion Corp. lease well off the front ridge, which meant a fair outboard run to the lease followed by paddling (in our case) a pirogue back into the marsh. Mosquitoes had met us at the Broussard (Exxon) Landing, so we were well sprayed before getting in the boat and again before getting out of it. Rub turned out to be that the OFF stayed in the boat and my buddy pressed on to another spot in our pirogue after dropping me off on a point of land. Which wouldn't have been an issue if a convenience store breakfast hadn't upset my bowels with no deet on hand or way to access any. I've no idea how many mosquitoes enjoyed my white unprotected arse, but can tell you I was raped. (And my then wife thought my polka dot butt hilarious.)

Still rather take that ass nipping again than miss a day of teal season.
Rick

Looking ahead...

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Rick wrote:Le'me tells you 'bout this displaced hillbilly's first teal hunt in Pecan Island. Went with a Lafayette friend to his Vermilion Corp. lease well off the front ridge, which meant a fair outboard run to the lease followed by paddling (in our case) a pirogue back into the marsh. Mosquitoes had met us at the Broussard (Exxon) Landing, so we were well sprayed before getting in the boat and again before getting out of it. Rub turned out to be that the OFF stayed in the boat and my buddy pressed on to another spot in our pirogue after dropping me off on a point of land. Which wouldn't have been an issue if a convenience store breakfast hadn't upset my bowels with no deet on hand or way to access any. I've no idea how many mosquitoes enjoyed my white unprotected arse, but can tell you I was raped. (And my then wife thought my polka dot butt hilarious.)

Still rather take that ass nipping again than miss a day of teal season.

The last 2 years guinea wasps have made my opening day of teal season not as enjoyable. 2015 opener I got popped several times before shooting light, including 1 on the chin that really swelled up nicely. We did get corey to run back to our blind and bring wasp spray. My buddy and I did get our limit that morning.

Last year opening day we went to another blind on my brother Corey's lease, we were assured the wasps had been taken care of.... I didn't get stung but our other brother did as he pulled open the boat blind door. Apparently the blind was properly sprayed but the couple hundred wasps in the boat hide had not been tampered with. I'm not allergic to wasp but am really bad scared of them. We hunted a few hours without any wasp spray just waiting for the wasp to attack, thankfully they never did. The teal didn't show up either.

I plan to hunt the Friday and Saturday of opening weekend with them again this year, and I really hope the wasps will have been thoroughly eliminated.

Just part of hunting the marsh.

Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Not going to pass an opportunity to hunt in the warm, but I have really grown to like hunting like this.

Never have any problem with wasps, mosquitoes, ants, getting wet, ... Pretty easy to find a cripple in a snow covered field. Nothing like blood trailing a goose :lol:

Frozen field hunting eliminates most hassles.

20161219_161920.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Rick wrote: (And my then wife thought my polka dot butt hilarious.)

Ain't nothing more disturbing to a man needing to go than a sack covered with hungry mosquitoes.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Ericdc wrote:The last 2 years guinea wasps have made my opening day of teal season not as enjoyable.

Crazy at it might seem, September of 2007 found me thankful to have been stung on the dog stand of a friend's blind. After that happened, I didn't just check out the blind itself upon entry but scanned the button willows growing around it with a light and found this little jewel resting where I might well have leaned back against him:

IMG_2494.jpg
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:42 pm

First real teal shoot was an Arkansas opener. We were slaughtering them GWT's 20 at a time as they tried to light in the dekes.
They tried convincing me that I'd shot the decoys. It was Kramer. Dude wore pop-bottle glasses. One day Kramer stood up on the end of the blind and shot the one lone snow goose decoy three times. We all leaned down at once and said, "did you enjoy yourself?". "Now get off your ass and go get your bird, clean it, and we want to watch you eat it?.
:clap:
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2016-2017