Looking ahead...

Re: Looking ahead...

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Don't know a thing about their quality, but can see how that would be hard to pass up.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
Rick wrote:Don't know a thing about their quality, but can see how that would be hard to pass up.

We decided to get in a field lease this year to have a fallback when the timber gets slow so I'll be sure to check back in with a review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is lease?

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 am

Between the Cache and the White? Wow. Oh...east.
Close enough anyway.
Rocky hunts down there.
ROCKY!!!!!
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:34 am

Duck Engr wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Between the Cache and the White? Wow. Oh...east.

Maybe one day when I have more $$$

What do they leases go for up there where yours is versus that area?

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Ended up showing one of the egg boss' sons the ropes of a couple other marshes today while he and another son picked ours, which was an expedient disappointment. Been anxious to see it myself, but was tickled by the son's surprise at how small the pond seemed when looking across it at the blind, instead of the other way around. Says he's bringing a more open choke next time he hunts with me (a day after Christmas "tradition" for he and his brothers).
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Having the ability to change chokes drove me nuts.
First I had the old remington 870 that had two barrels. Modified was a winner. Full was too much. Killed a lot of ducks with the IC barrel that I bought special. (blew up the full)
Next got a more modern 870 with three chokes. Kept the modified in at all times and never even shot paper once.
When I got the semi auto beretta and patterned it it was fairly easy to see full was the way to go.
Different guns shoot different patterns. The gun I shoot does great with a full choke in it.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:41 am

Full choked guns suffer mightily at the mudhole.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:33 am

Rick wrote:Full choked guns suffer mightily at the mudhole.

But Rick, that range when they're high!! :roll: When they're in right at the mudhole, it's awfully close
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:05 am

It's counter-intuitive as heck but once I put the full in the beretta I sort of quit missing.
There have been a couple birds I shot from too close and turned inside out but in general I'm shooting their heads off when possible. Aim for the lips.

Seriously it's been a long time since I had to pick shot out of duck meat. They either go right thru or hit in the neck and head.
We eat a lot of ducks and am proud to say that I'm not turning them to hamburger like I did 35 years ago.

How it started. Worked for a champion archer who claimed he could shoot rabbits in the head with a shotgun. I laughed at him but he insisted it was possible then explained how. I started doing it and it transferred to ducks. You learn your pattern and use the edge of the pattern and get em in the head. I used to shoot every rabbit in the tail until I met that guy. Didn't like him much but he did teach me about how to shoot without even having a gun around.
Another man named Robert Arbuckle tried teaching me to use a rifle. He was a champion at that. I'm no good on a rifle.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 am

More power to ya. Just reporting what I've seen time after time. Even with IC, it's real easy to miss a close bill on an all but hovering bird and watch 'em jerk it back between their shoulders. (Which is kind of fun in its own right.)
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 am

aunt betty wrote:

It's counter-intuitive as heck but once I put the full in the beretta I sort of quit missing.

I'll bet it drives you to focus. Aim small. Miss small. You know you have to focus because you have a tight pattern. So much of shooting is mental and very little is the shot size, choke, ...

Relax, be patient, let the birds get in the best position they are going to get, pick out that one bird, get up and mount the gun properly, go through the property mechanics, ...

Especially on big geese, which I shoot more than anything, you have an eternity in practice if you are patient. Even mallards, you got plenty of time to make that first shot count. Most people if they killed 1 bird per flock, their season totals would be higher. I'll bet half the people would shoot more birds if they hunted with a single shot for much the same reason. They know they need to focus and make that shot count.

I believe Rick hunts with a 20 gauge and I'll bet he kills a higher percentage than 90% or better of the guys hunting with 12's.

One thing I have noticed that I may change up this year is my stock if I can find a guy I feel confident customizing it. I got a backup a few years ago. I used it a few times and seemed to shoot better with it than my primary gun. OK, not a large sample, and I shoot halfway decent. This past year I ended up only using my backup. I almost didn't miss. I compared the guns and the backup has a little shorter stock and significantly more drop. I think the fit is much better for me. It sure seems like it.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 am

The gun matters. I bet my old remi killed more birds with IC. Never shot paper until I got the semi and when I did all I found was that the pattern-size were not much different on that particular gun. IC to Full maybe made a 12 inch smaller pattern at 30 yards. Convert that to 15 or 20 yards and it's even less difference. What I saw was the holes in the pattern got smaller.

The extended range tube supposedly extends the shot string which is hard to see on paper. Certain guide spent enormous effort on preaching the benefits of the "whatever he sells" tube. Not sure but he does hammer the shit out of anything he shoots. Of course he's using very expensive ammo too. Thought about swapping his shells to winchester expert and see how he does but I'm just not that sneaky. I know some guys who are. :lol:
aunt betty

Looking ahead...

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 am

It is kinda silly to buy a $70-$100 choke that performs that same as a factory choke out to a certain distance. You're paying a premium for probably a small % of your shots in the field.

The guys I hunt with use Extra full chokes yet we pride ourselves on putting them over the decoys and inside 20 yards to call the shot.

They are good shots and do well on those farther shots for sure as birds are leaving. I know the duck commander crew probably influenced a lot of it, but they used tight chokes because they wanted birds to fold up for the camera, and they get them in real close.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 am

Eric I started out my semi with an IC tube in it.
Shot at some teal and watched my pattern and it was not satisfactory at all. (they said I shot the decoys but I don't think so. It was Kramer) It was so bad that people in the blind asked wtf are you shooting.
Tried the mod with about the same effect and finally popped in the full.
Someone gave me an extreme-range tube and I liked it even up close and personal.
Then that gun got stolen and I remembered how I could not tell the difference between full and extreme range on paper.
Bought another semi...same brand and model.

So if you see some uhhh "guy" toting an all black walmart Beretta 390, Briley's extreme range choke, with a leather sling...clobber his ass and gimme my gun back. :thumbsup:
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:49 am

aunt betty wrote:Eric I started out my semi with an IC tube in it.
Shot at some teal and watched my pattern and it was not satisfactory at all. (they said I shot the decoys but I don't think so. It was Kramer) It was so bad that people in the blind asked wtf are you shooting.
Tried the mod with about the same effect and finally popped in the full.
Someone gave me an extreme-range tube and I liked it even up close and personal.
Then that gun got stolen and I remembered how I could not tell the difference between full and extreme range on paper.
Bought another semi...same brand and model.

So if you see some uhhh "guy" toting an all black walmart Beretta 390, Briley's extreme range choke, with a leather sling...clobber his ass and gimme my gun back. :thumbsup:

Did u try different loads with it?

I've heard the skinnier bored Italian guns can be finicky on patterning HV steel though. That's why Jeff Hajjar started making terror choked several years ago.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Yeah. I tried 5 kinds of shells and decided it ain't worth spending extra for premium ammo at the range I shoot at.
I let all sorts of shit go that I shoulda shot at. Like em close for easy retrieves.

Tried Kent, Remington Nitro Steel, Remington Sportsman, Winchester Expert, and Winchester Drylock.
Could not really tell a huge difference so I keep buying whatever is cheap.
Only shot a few sheets of paper and did not do a whole lot of looking or laying a grid over the pattern or anything like that.
It was more of a drink beer and shoot some paper nailed to that tree over there kind of thing. After I was done it was hard to tell which was which even though I'd marked each one with what it was shot with. The drunks at the campfire agreed that the patterns are solid at 30 yards with whatever I shoot thru my gun. Buy the cheap stuff.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 pm

aunt betty wrote:Yeah. I tried 5 kinds of shells and decided it ain't worth spending extra for premium ammo at the range I shoot at.
I let all sorts of shit go that I shoulda shot at. Like em close for easy retrieves.

Tried Kent, Remington Nitro Steel, Remington Sportsman, Winchester Expert, and Winchester Drylock.
Could not really tell a huge difference so I keep buying whatever is cheap.
Only shot a few sheets of paper and did not do a whole lot of looking or laying a grid over the pattern or anything like that.
It was more of a drink beer and shoot some paper nailed to that tree over there kind of thing. After I was done it was hard to tell which was which even though I'd marked each one with what it was shot with. The drunks at the campfire agreed that the patterns are solid at 30 yards with whatever I shoot thru my gun. Buy the cheap stuff.

Yea I buy what's cheap, that's why I went for the black cloud rebate $105 a case

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Perhaps I'm just not a good enough shot to enjoy all those "clean kills or clean misses" I hear about with tight chokes or loads. More misses on close birds for sure, but also more chipped close birds. My 100 round experiment with Hevi-Shot, which shot tight in my gun, left me tickled to death to go back to plain steel for the ranges I shoot.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Had a pretty neat coyote experience while walking the protection levee around an irregular section this afternoon. Bumped into him at about the half way point and felt bad for pushing him ahead (no good way off for him due to the levee's borrow ditch I was surveying for gator nests) in the heat of the day when sane animals are laid up in shade. Finally lost track of him and figured he'd opted to cross water somewhere until I stopped to glass a distant drain's spoil bank, and he popped out of the high weeds not six or eight feet from me and ran on down the levee.

Have bumped more than a few deer that hoped to hide while I passed close by over the years, but that was a first with a coyote.

Also thought I'd gotten incredibly lucky with a whooping crane pair that appeared to have little ones showing in the grass near where they were hunting - until I put the glass on them and found that my baby whoopers were just big, light under-sided lillies being flipped up by the breeze.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Rick wrote:Perhaps I'm just not a good enough shot to enjoy all those "clean kills or clean misses" I hear about with tight chokes or loads. More misses on close birds for sure, but also more chipped close birds. My 100 round experiment with Hevi-Shot, which shot tight in my gun, left me tickled to death to go back to plain steel for the ranges I shoot.

I'm a more open choke fan for sure. Terror 700 is like a light mod I've been told.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Killed a lot of ducks with my light weight special field 20 gauge 870 pump back before the pressure got put on high.
I think it weighs around 5 pounds. You'd swear you're shooting a BB gun until you fire it with 3" magnums...ouch.

Oh boy I'd love to go back about 20 or 30 years. I owned pretty much all public after the opening week. No competition was very sweet. Things sure have changed. Now we got a danged canoe and rowing club on my end of the lake. (Like it's the Potomac river or something)
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:05 pm

This little youth model 20 gauge pumps are a cruel trick to play on a kid...they really kick hard

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:00 am

Saw this Image

Ericdc

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2016-2017