2017 preseason

Re: 2017 preseason

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Kenny McNeal from Bayou Bottoms indirectly taught me how. He does it and was sort of shocked when he asked me if I'd ever heard a big flock of teal on the ground calling at others and I said, "no". We hunted a bean field on the bayou de view that's usually rice.
Finally one day at Mallard Lake there were thousands of GWT by my camp cackin away and I figured out why he did what he does.

If any novice who reads this wants to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can I strongly suggest looking up Kenny and book a week with him if possible. (you'll need a group).
Just do it.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:01 pm

From last season's log:

Deer rifle season began this weekend, and I've been doing my hunting on a piece where I could watch and listen to mottleds and enjoy an absolute calling clinic put on by what seemed a bazillion and twelve unseen bluewings across the upwind protection levee. I may never feel like I've gone too far with how I call distant marsh teal again after listening to what seemed a recording of it for three evenings running. Don't s'pose they were mocking me?

I raise holy kacking hell with greenwings, too, but the most pronounced thing I usually hear from big groups of them on the water is whistling, which I've not managed to gain nearly as much real leverage with as kacking.

In any event, while I find teal much more generally call responsive than I did before kicking out the jams, it's rare for me to enjoy the feeling of playing them "on a string" like big ducks and particularly mallards.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Rick wrote:From last season's log:

Deer rifle season began this weekend, and I've been doing my hunting on a piece where I could watch and listen to mottleds and enjoy an absolute calling clinic put on by what seemed a bazillion and twelve unseen bluewings across the upwind protection levee. I may never feel like I've gone too far with how I call distant marsh teal again after listening to what seemed a recording of it for three evenings running. Don't s'pose they were mocking me?

I raise holy kacking hell with greenwings, too, but the most pronounced thing I usually hear from big groups of them on the water is whistling, which I've not managed to gain nearly as much real leverage with as kacking.

In any event, while I find teal much more generally call responsive than I did before kicking out the jams, it's rare for me to enjoy the feeling of playing them "on a string" like big ducks and particularly mallards.

I think they're just curious. Oddly enough Kenny gets them to light right on the two mojos surrounded by a couple dozen teal decoys that's dead center of about 12 dozen other species decoys. He goes baaaaaaa ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba thru the call and uses the one called "White Lightning" which is a two-reed call.
This one.
Kenny and his guides wear them calls out. Paper thin reeds when they're done.
https://www.rainmancalls.com/products/white-lightning

Greg DeRousse is a very nice guy. Try one of his calls and maybe even try one of his speck calls. He's good at what he does.
Rainman himself...https://www.facebook.com/greg.derousse.5
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:42 pm

aunt betty wrote:...Kenny gets them to light right on the two mojos...

Finest teal call ever made.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Until someone runs the bayou and steals them right out of your private lease.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am

You guys are soft unless you have a $40 bucket.

http://yeti.com/loadout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Ericdc wrote:You guys are soft unless you have a $40 bucket.

http://yeti.com/loadout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you lost your mind?
Do you keep your yeti cup in the yeti bucket and then your buddy spits backy juice in your cup?

Is it bear-proof or what? I heard the coolers are. If you're hunting the boundary waters I guess that's required or something.

For $46 I can buy ten buckets with ten lids at menards. :twisted:
My little hobbit sized ass don't need a 300# rated bucket to crap in.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:46 am

BGcorey wrote:ive hunted with a friend a few times at his place and when working green wings , him and his brother whistle non stop, and a lot! Peep peep peep peep... I thought to myself, this is way too much whistling and halfway annoying to someone sitting in the middle of the blind. Sure enough, it didn't stop the green wings from decoying time and time again. But I'm sure decoys and shallow water have a big part of that success too.

The fellow I think of as the finest human predator I know does nothing but whistle for any duck - well, that and do the work to be waiting and be unseen where they're going. But I've not found it as effective as aggressive kacking, and seldom whistle for teal except early on dark mornings or as long as I can stand to in the fog.
Rick

Previous

Return to Ericdc 2016-2017