Season log

Re: Season log

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Specks have an area they first hit up here too, its several miles southwest of where I hunt. They usually don't get disturbed too much for the 2 weeks of speck hunting before duck season starts, but once that day comes they start spreading out. We usually start holding them in our area by mid December and the hunting gets more consistent from then on. The guys that do have them thick early hammer them before duck season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:23 am

First picking
Got finished just in time
Corn creaming party
The reward

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:14 am

Marsh Bear wrote:Those are good looking ears of corn - all used for cream corn - no corn on the cob.

I'm really not a fan of it on the cobb.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Shot these several seasons ago when I was given a case and a half after taking some of the Duck Commander guys on 2 really good dove hunts.

With the rebate I'm getting 2 cases for $104.99 a case.

Really liked them when I shot the free ones just didn't like the price to buy my own. Price is good now with rebate.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:48 am

yea that looks like a deal. Corn looks awfully pretty, I'd be hammering it on the cob and every which way, me.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:52 am

Darren wrote:yea that looks like a deal. Corn looks awfully pretty, I'd be hammering it on the cob and every which way, me.

Yea wife and I just really like it creamed in a black skillet with a little butter salt and pepper served with fried deer steak and mashed potatoes (from the garden). One of our favorite meals

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Not a fan of Blackcloud, but corn...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Rick wrote:Not a fan of Blackcloud, but corn...

Care to share your thoughts on the black clouds?

I still have a case and a half of Remington nitro 3's to use also. Hard to pass up the price on the black clouds was my main reason for buying, and was pleased with past experience.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:39 pm

RIght up front, I've never shot it, and some guys who have love it. Others...well, one chunked a box in my pond. From what I've seen on cripples, it patterns surprisingly TIGHT at moderate ranges, which isn't a good thing for my purposes - and pulls a lot of feather into shot holes which is a table turn-off.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Rick wrote:RIght up front, I've never shot it, and some guys who have love it. Others...well, one chunked a box in my pond. From what I've seen on cripples, it patterns surprisingly TIGHT at moderate ranges, which isn't a good thing for my purposes - and pulls a lot of feather into shot holes which is a table turn-off.

It does pattern tighter. I'm going to shoot some paper this summer to compare it to some regular steel 3's,

It would not be my choice if I hunted a pothole like you or the woods.

I almost ordered a case of the BC 2 3/4" 4's because they'd be $65 a case after rebate.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Ericdc wrote:
Rick wrote:RIght up front, I've never shot it, and some guys who have love it. Others...well, one chunked a box in my pond. From what I've seen on cripples, it patterns surprisingly TIGHT at moderate ranges, which isn't a good thing for my purposes - and pulls a lot of feather into shot holes which is a table turn-off.

It does pattern tighter. I'm going to shoot some paper this summer to compare it to some regular steel 3's,

I almost ordered a case of the BC 2 3/4" 4's because they'd be $65 a case after rebate.

Sounds like a jammin' teal season load for sure. My only observation of note on BC was that the advertised sharp edges on the flightstopper steel were actually barely a raised rib around the pellet. Other than that, killed ducks dead;. ..............but so does Xpert and it's notoriously irregularly shaped pellets. Would definitely shoot it if price was right, have not seen any failures on it in my experience. Federal can be a bit on the dirtier burning side for some.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Darren wrote:
Ericdc wrote:

Sounds like a jammin' teal season load for sure. My only observation of note on BC was that the advertised sharp edges on the flightstopper steel were actually barely a raised rib around the pellet. Other than that, killed ducks dead;. ..............but so does Xpert and it's notoriously irregularly shaped pellets. Would definitely shoot it if price was right, have not seen any failures on it in my experience. Federal can be a bit on the dirtier burning side for some.

Got mine at Rogers for $105 a case after rebate.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Gotcha, i'll have to browse over there. Actually on the lookout for a few boxes of Winchester "game and target" steel shot, 2 3/4", #6. Started shooting these last year or year before on rec from a guide buddy. Hard to beat $5.99 a box, and have had good luck with them for Sept teal.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Darren wrote:Gotcha, i'll have to browse over there. Actually on the lookout for a few boxes of Winchester "game and target" steel shot, 2 3/4", #6. Started shooting these last year or year before on rec from a guide buddy. Hard to beat $5.99 a box, and have had good luck with them for Sept teal.

I just hate finding the 6's with my teeth. Have a good friend who hunts the marsh and uses a lot of steel 6 and 7's. I don't really like anything smaller than 4's

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Started shooting 23/4 #6 or #71/2, if you can find em, a couple of teal seasons ago. I can say scotch doubles and triples seem to happen fairly often. Teal are in much better shape for the pot as well, and that's a nice thing. Winchester SuperX 23/4" #4 11/6 oz 1550 for big duck do the job just fine. Get em right and tight. I did shoot 3" 4's in the rice where we had a chance at specks on every hunt.

I have a thing for SuperX going back to the lead days. 23/4" #6 or#4 high brass were pretty special
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:18 am

So between those two responses we see the pros and cons of #6 (or even smaller). It seems like historically we've not made the most of a tight bunch splashing down so really want something wide and dense, with regard to pattern, hopefully knock a bonus bird with my shot when ops present. Thinking of going to a skeet choke for teal season this year, most of our shooting is very close since it's small water, not wide open rice or anything.

As for the risk to teeth...just gotta be careful I guess, knock wood.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:01 am

The switch to steel shot still pisses me off!!!!!! I cracked a molar a few years back on a steel shot, and everybody at the table heard it and cringed when it happened.......I damn near passed out :( The cost of a dentist visit and following crown was painful as well! I have always loved to pick and eat ducks whole, browning in butter and slow roasting in a dutch oven to get the true flavor of the bird, but find myself filleting them now. Also, any fillets I clean are opened up around any holes, to be sure the steel pellet is not still there. I hate to admit it, but if birds land in range before I see them, I have no issues making a water swat, hoping that I can have a head shot bird or two.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 am

Deltaman wrote:The switch to steel shot still pisses me off!!!!!! I cracked a molar a few years back on a steel shot, and everybody at the table heard it and cringed when it happened.......I damn near passed out :( The cost of a dentist visit and following crown was painful as well! I have always loved to pick and eat ducks whole, browning in butter and slow roasting in a dutch oven to get the true flavor of the bird, but find myself filleting them now. Also, any fillets I clean are opened up around any holes, to be sure the steel pellet is not still there. I hate to admit it, but if birds land in range before I see them, I have no issues making a water swat, hoping that I can have a head shot bird or two.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no shame in landing birds in the decoys and taking swatting them in the head.

I can remember my hunt with Rick when a nice little group of green wings lit in the mud hole and bunched up real tight. To quote Rick and edit one word "they fudged up" and we lit into them on the water.

Pot roasting is my favorite way to eat them too, I just try to be real careful and let them almost fall apart in the pot so the pellets come out of the meat.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:18 am

Ericdc wrote:I can remember my hunt with Rick when a nice little group of green wings lit in the mud hole and bunched up real tight. To quote Rick and edit one word "they fudged up" and we lit into them on the water.

:lol:

No shame in that, I'd have been letting it rip myself and do so at most ops unless too close. Save the shells and cleaner kills

We have been making sausage with many of our birds but I've also started a habit of a pretty mean rice and gravy with teal breasts and sausage, even the wife likes it. SW La grandma's pot I inherited has the magic already built in :thumbsup: Also took some pointers from Ms. Jenny Rose, formerly of Rick's outfit.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:44 am

Darren wrote:
Ericdc wrote:I can remember my hunt with Rick when a nice little group of green wings lit in the mud hole and bunched up real tight. To quote Rick and edit one word "they fudged up" and we lit into them on the water.

No shame in that, I'd have been letting it rip myself and do so at most ops unless too close. Save the shells and cleaner kills

We have been making sausage with many of our birds but I've also started a habit of a pretty mean rice and gravy with teal breasts and sausage, even the wife likes it. SW La grandma's pot I inherited has the magic already built in :thumbsup: Also took some pointers from Ms. Jenny Rose, formerly of Rick's outfit.

I spent the 4th down at Pirate's Cove in Elberta, AL, and was talking with a neighbor about duck hunting and eating ducks. He was not an avid duck hunter like us, but did make a few trips to LA each year, and his first mention of eating the best duck gumbo he'd ever eaten, was at Doug's Hunting Lodge :shock: Said the food itself was worth the trip!!!!!!!!
Rick, If I was in your shoes, I might be fatter than I already am :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Season log

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:32 am

Darren wrote:

Shame on you for throwing away those precious bits of meat on them teal legs haha

Speck leg gravy though....

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:52 am

Ericdc wrote:
Darren wrote:

Shame on you for throwing away those precious bits of meat on them teal legs haha

Know they're tasty morsels but haven't fooled with plucking all too many. Did, however, start keeping legs on some big grays and mottleds and those have been fun to do a few different ways.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Darren wrote:
Ericdc wrote:
Darren wrote:

Know they're tasty morsels but haven't fooled with plucking all too many. Did, however, start keeping legs on some big grays and mottleds and those have been fun to do a few different ways.

Did a jambalaya with sausage and tree duck legs and man it was good.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Deltaman wrote:I spent the 4th down at Pirate's Cove in Elberta, AL, and was talking with a neighbor about duck hunting and eating ducks. He was not an avid duck hunter like us, but did make a few trips to LA each year, and his first mention of eating the best duck gumbo he'd ever eaten, was at Doug's Hunting Lodge :shock: Said the food itself was worth the trip!!!!!!!!
Rick, If I was in your shoes, I might be fatter than I already am :lol:

Pretty safe bet he ate spoons at the camp. Doug tries to send the pretty ducks home with folks, and we eat the "trash" at the camp. Seems everyone loves 'em when they don't know what they are. Not that we haven't almost always had fine cooks, as well.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Oh, and I am fat.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:31 pm

First time I had gumbo was when I hunted at this place... http://caselaw.findlaw.com/il-court-of- ... 54564.html
Holy crap what a story. From what I observed when I hunted there at around that time I'd have to say uhm...nuthin. I know nuthing saw nuthing....NUTHING!!!
The gumbo and jumbalaya they served me was good.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:55 pm

aunt betty wrote:First time I had gumbo was when I hunted at this place... http://caselaw.findlaw.com/il-court-of- ... 54564.html
Holy crap what a story. From what I observed when I hunted there at around that time I'd have to say uhm...nuthin. I know nuthing saw nuthing....NUTHING!!!
The gumbo and jumbalaya they served me was good.

I skimmed through it. So basically the club lawyered up and no charges were made?

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:21 pm

I don't know. Nothing...nothing.
One day I hunted there I sat and ate with a table full of state troopers and they didn't seem to mind that the old man would mow a strip of whatever was way over in the corner every day in the afternoon...after the hunt. (I think it was corn)
Was cool to watch the geese trying to land on the mower.
Baiting??? Right in front of everyone?!?! The little "bait-field" was right there in plain sight on the corner of the road that went into the conservation area. Pretty sure if you got out your tape and started measuring from where he mowed to the closest blind was a mile or better.

That area...used to get covered in Canada geese. Millions would set on the Union County Conservation Area which really is just on the other side of that club. I guess you could call it baiting but technically it was not. (my opinion)

That place is a duck club now I hear. Way out of my price range and their style (or lack of) is hard to take.
I don't think there was a case and the evidence showed that. There must have been some sort of special circumstance ie: that ice storm.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to Ericdc 2016-2017