2017 preseason

2017 preseason

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am

With Rogers sporting goods, Simmons, and Presley Outdoors big annual sales up and running, any of y'all spending any money this summer?

I only bought shells this summer, and going to do a little work on my Honda rancher. Needs bushings, brake work, and need to replace the black plastic on outside of fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Re: 2017 preseason

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am

Intend to take my ATV trailer in for new tires, new bearings/repack, etc. since I've not done anything to it but keep it painted since I bought it in March 2007. Flat boat is getting some fixed trim tabs welded on soon by a friend to help manage all that 4-stroke weight on the stern when running, wants to porpoise on me unless well loaded. Got my teal season shells in hand but will need to look into a case for regular season probably in Oct. Rogers usually hard to beat for that
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:34 am

Case of 16ga Remington Nitro steel, in case Rogers' quits carrying them at a significant discount under MSRP and two, count 'em 2, used RNT Daisy Cutters that were priced right enough that I won't lose anything when I pass one or both on down the road.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:45 pm

johnc wrote:
Rick wrote:Case of 16ga Remington Nitro steel, in case Rogers' quits carrying them at a significant discount under MSRP and two, count 'em 2, used RNT Daisy Cutters that were priced right enough that I won't lose anything when I pass one or both on down the road.

what size shot? 2's?

Yes, 2s. Was a post elsewhere from someone who'd talked to Rogers CS about their no longer having 4s due to a price dispute that prompted my purchase. Well, that and Federal 16ga 4s are, if memory serves, about $22 a box at G&H.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:35 pm

johnc wrote:2's should do fine with fixed modified

are those daisy cutters the old one's?

Pretty much "We'll see..." to both.

Most of my specks in recent years have been shot in the face with either the 20ga 5s I duck hunt with or the 2 3/4" 12ga 4s I keep on hand for guests that run out of shells, so I may not be able to hit pecans with however fewer 2s are in a 15/16oz 16ga load.

And while there's no way I'd spend what the scroll and earlier DCs now go for to get a repeat of my old half-scroll (which had a uniquely harsh, rather than just "raspy" tone I thought would be more effective than it generally proved and ran like a dump truck), the one that's still in the mail is a 40th Anniversary model said to be the same as the early ones. Mostly bought it because it was cheap and I am curious to see how it sounds.

Ended up using the half-scroll mostly as a practice call (like running with ankle weights), because it made the calls I hunt with seem to run all the slicker, until I broke its cork tab and sent it to the shop for what Cole said would be "close as we can get it" replacement - just before the fire. Don't know if there was confusion in the shuffle or what, but what I ended up with was not close - but better, it turned out, for my hunting purposes when tuned teal high and used for they and other squacky species. Still has enough range to get low for general usage, too.

First used one was intended as a back-up for that one and was so bad for air-locking I asked its origin and wasn't surprise to learn 2011, just that "Butch picked it out for me and ran it on the phone." Can only imagine he grabbed the first handy one and quacked a bit for the fellow, because it would not quietly cluck and chuck without locking, regardless of tuning, and the essentially new call's toneboard had slick flat spots. I fixed that with 300 grit and am waiting to see whether it or the 40th will be the keeper...
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:06 am

Duck Engr wrote:I ordered one of the 40th anni Daisycutter's back in the spring on a too-good-to-pass-up sale from mack's and have been pleased with how it sounds though from your descriptions of how raspy you like your calls j fear you'll be disappointed in it.

I'd bet something pretty nice that the one I've coming was part of that sale (purchased last spring), and priced accordingly. What I think of "raspiness" isn't so much what I'm curious about it matching as my old one's harshness of tone: a sound quality that's been unique among the calls I've run. Have called it "the Janis Joplin of susies". I loved that tone, and gave the call umpteen "one more chances," but the only time it seemed to offer advantage in the field was single quacking mallards and mottleds. Was a very rare day when its use superseded that of my cleaner and much more versatile MPV.

As for disappointment, I was initially very disappointed with the replacement insert that was supposed to be "as close as we can get it" to the old DCs, yet tweaking its tuning made it a much more useful call than what I'd hoped for ever was. So we'll see...
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 am

johnc wrote:
trying to make all my airs similiar.mp3

I did not buy anything this summer

I tried to line up all my different species air origin as in hot air for running everything and forward effort

that way i dont have to make global changes when switching from call to call

put a lot of work into duck and using duck like air for speck calling,my snow always was very light and hot anyway

Your technical plane is way the hey over my head, as I've never even considered presentation changes between call species, much less matching them. I'm happy just having calls that don't require presentation changes when changing calls for any one species.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am

I've got an rnt 40th short barrel I got last summer and absolutely love it. Fits my air presentation perfectly. The other guys in my lease have rnt mondos and DCs and have more volume than me. It's fun when we all get after a high bunch and get a response.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:50 am

I'd heard the 40th SB's bore had been opened back up to its early self, of which I had one that was nearly as loud as the early DCs. Think that when they nutted the DC it and the SB were so close that they tightened the later's bore to create more differentiation.

Was a bit of "history" to that old hedge SB, in that Nathan Wright (Redbone Calls) had given it to James Meyers (Riceland Calls) back when they were good buddies, and James gave it to me when he and Bill started making duck calls. It was a heck of a ducky call, but not one I favored in the field, so I passed it along to Jack Cousin who was working with and learning from those two. He may have burned it for kindling, but I thought a lot of it.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:54 am

The favorite of mine from the RNT line was a twenty-dollar Timber...not Timbre.
I made it a single-reed and loved it. Then Adam Tudor asked me for it and I gave it to him.
That Timber call was the bounciest call I've ever blown.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Rick wrote:I'd heard the 40th SB's bore had been opened back up to its early self, of which I had one that was nearly as loud as the early DCs. Think that when they nutted the DC it and the SB were so close that they tightened the later's bore to create more differentiation.

Was a bit of "history" to that old hedge SB, in that Nathan Wright (Redbone Calls) had given it to James Meyers (Riceland Calls) back when they were good buddies, and James gave it to me when he and Bill started making duck calls. It was a heck of a ducky call, but not one I favored in the field, so I passed it along to Jack Cousin who was working with and learning from those two. He may have burned it for kindling, but I thought a lot of it.

Yea the 40th SB is superior to my circa 2009 DC in tone, volume and range. I wish I would have bought a 40th DC last year too but sometimes you just need to buy 1 and walk away haha.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:01 pm

As far as getting ready goes all I have to do is take the trolling motor off and put the led headlight on.
After all these years I got it down to a science.
I think maybe I shot ten or twelve shells last season. It was that bad so I got plenty of ammo still. Did not fire a shot in Arkansas. That sucked bad.
Might have to do a ten minute oil change on the truck but other than that I'm good to go.
Getting motivated is going to be rough this year after all the hours of staring at nothing last year.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Ericdc wrote:Yea the 40th SB is superior to my circa 2009 DC in tone, volume and range. I wish I would have bought a 40th DC last year too but sometimes you just need to buy 1 and walk away haha.

If it's like my old one, you're 40th is a lot of call - and not so different than what I expect of the 40th DC. Perhaps they'll fool me, but the old DCs were little doubt changed because they were temperamental and at their best right on the edge of being hinky.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:26 am

40th DC showed yesterday, and I took it for a short truck ride this morning "just to see". Puts me more in mind of my early SB than DC, as it's crisp and nimble, rather than harsh and less responsive like my half-scroll. Also rings. Re: "rasp," it has plenty for me and doesn't rattle like the Lares calls I've run, which I think a good thing. Just a real nice call and one of the rare ones that suits me well without tuning for fit.

Definitely an improvement over my 2011 DC pre toneboard tinkering and tuning, but I'll have to run them together for better comparison. Which I don't suppose would thrill Sweet Chereaux and the grandson who spent the night who are still sleeping. Believe I'll take that pair of DCs to the country with the dogs this morning.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:28 am

Rick wrote:40th DC showed yesterday, and I took it for a short truck ride this morning "just to see". Puts me more in mind of my early SB than DC, as it's crisp and nimble, rather than harsh and less responsive like my half-scroll. Also rings. Re: "rasp," it has plenty for me and doesn't rattle like the Lares calls I've run, which I think a good thing. Just a real nice call and one of the rare ones that suits me well without tuning for fit.

Definitely an improvement over my 2011 DC pre toneboard tinkering and tuning, but I'll have to run them together for better comparison. Which I don't suppose would thrill Sweet Chereaux and the grandson who spent the night who are still sleeping. Believe I'll take that pair of DCs to the country with the dogs this morning.

What color is it?

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:25 am

Ivory.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:29 am

Rick wrote:Ivory.

I need to add an ivory. Really like that color.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:40 am

Rick wrote:Definitely an improvement over my 2011 DC pre toneboard tinkering and tuning, but I'll have to run them together for better comparison...

Took the two afield and think maybe I ought to go into the call business, as my attempt at recreating my old DC's toneboard comes closer than theirs. Not as slick running, but more harsh edge. Makes me want to break out the 320 emery cloth and experiment further, but I'm scairt of putting a swipe or two too much bow in it. Smart person might wait and see what the birds think of where it's at.

Just don't know that I'm all that smart... Am, after all, trying to recreate a call I thought neat but didn't use much.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Ericdc wrote:
Rick wrote:Ivory.

I need to add an ivory. Really like that color.

Know where there'll probably be one for sale at a good price, but not just yet.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:43 pm

White call saved my ass one day. We were hunting in a grove of little pin oaks. The ducks (pintails) were flying over to get to the neighbors rice. We were pass-shooting so I hung lanyard in one of them pin oaks. The guys I was with can't stay in one spot more than 5 minutes so I ended up moving a few times. Then I noticed...uh oh.
Then I thought of that white call. Got out the binoculars and spotted that call almost instantly from a quarter-mile away.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:31 am

Duck Engr wrote:So what you're saying is it likely won't be on the lanyard this fall except maybe for kicks and giggles?

Plan A wasn't to hunt it at all but just to tune another DC high to match the one that proved so useful as a teal, squacky species and quiet mallard call last year as its "just in case" back-up. But I got side-tracked into "like the old one mode" and feel myself falling into the old trap of wanting to give the harsher sounding one its chance on birds, too.

Still need the home-alone time to tune teal type reeds for both to see where we're at on that count, so I'm no closer to my original goal than at the outset, other than having a couple presumably serviceable candidates to experiment with. Hoping to find the altered 2011 model as suitable, or nearly so, for that purpose as the 40th Anniversary model and pass the later along to someone it would no doubt mean more to than a common DC some clown in SWLA put to emery cloth.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:32 am

Hey how about trying to describe what you do on teal. I have an idea. They say you can't call teal yet it's been done.
Once at Hood Lake was hunting with some old-timers. Leaned over and asked them, "want to try and shoot these?". They whispered yes so I gave them the teal routine real quick. Both them old guys said, "I'll be dog gone" when they all turned and lit in the decoys.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:36 pm

aunt betty wrote:Hey how about trying to describe what you do on teal. I have an idea. They say you can't call teal yet it's been done.
Once at Hood Lake was hunting with some old-timers. Leaned over and asked them, "want to try and shoot these?". They whispered yes so I gave them the teal routine real quick. Both them old guys said, "I'll be dog gone" when they all turned and lit in the decoys.

Teal respond very well to calling in my experience up here in ag country, they can be a little bit tougher in the marsh from my experience. Nothing like breaking a high bunch of green wings though, especially later in the morning when the sun is up.

Ericdc

Next

Return to Ericdc 2016-2017