Trap Line

Trap Line

Postby DukMan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:21 am

Well the October lull is upon us and the migration has yet to get to us on the property.. Although I hear it's not far away this give me time to get out there and try my luck at some trapping. I've never trapped before but I believe if I watch enough youtube videos I'll be a pro in no time. I'll be trapping my 34 acre property and potentially the neighbors farm. I'll be focusing on coon primarily to decrease predation on the ducks that nest on my property in the spring. I'll also be focusing on muskrats, mink and yotes.

I'll keep you posted should get my first line of traps out there early next week.
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Re: Trap Line

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Haven't trapped since I was a kid, but wouldn't you be ahead to wait until pelts are more prime?
Rick

Postby DukMan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Rick wrote:Haven't trapped since I was a kid, but wouldn't you be ahead to wait until pelts are more prime?

I would be if my objective was to catch'em for pelts but this will be my first year and I'm assuming I'm going to rip the sh!t out of them anyway this year as I'm learning. I'm more focused on getting rid of as many coon as I can and might as well start while it's still warm enough to get some traps in the dirt before the duck hunting gets good and I wouldn't have the time to check the line once every 24 hours.
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:22 pm

DukMan wrote: I've never trapped before but I believe if I watch enough youtube videos I'll be a pro in no time.
The you'll have to experiment around with different types of bait. Try some cheese first.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:57 pm

aunt betty wrote:
DukMan wrote: I've never trapped before but I believe if I watch enough youtube videos I'll be a pro in no time.
The you'll have to experiment around with different types of bait. Try some cheese first.

I wouldn't expect any critter from WI to not like cheese...
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:21 pm

DukMan wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

I'm going to do you a favor and tell you straight up that I was BS'ing you.
Bait...lol. That's how you catch skunks and I was setting you up. If you're going to use cheese use the nine years aged stuff.@
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:02 pm

aunt betty wrote:
DukMan wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

I'm going to do you a favor and tell you straight up that I was BS'ing you.
Bait...lol. That's how you catch skunks and I was setting you up. If you're going to use cheese use the nine years aged stuff.@

lol don't worry I'm not that dumb... froze some junk chubs caught while trout fishing for pocket sets and going to use cat food in the dp's ... pick up some lennons for scent and a little fish oil to squirt around... don't plan on implementing any cheese...

However with the current fur prices catching skunk and relieving them of their essence may be more profitable to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Did a lot of water-line type of sets. I'd start at the bottom of the food chain and work my way up.
Used some sort of lure that actually smelled nice. Forget what it was. Some type of oil like anise or something was in it.
I'd catch the rats and then the minks and coons would get curious about what got caught in the rat sets.
After the water got trapped out I'd move up onto the dirt and start working hard on the dogs with dirt-sets after it got freezing cold. Used some type of mouse-hole sets with lure on a feather stuffed into the man-made mouse hole. Had one of them little hole shovels. It's been a long time since I set a trap.

Saved about 10 years worth of fur-fish-game magazines. Everything you need to know is in them. Wisconsin libraries probably have a better collection.
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:25 pm

There are some really informative youtubes by a guy named Florin... he's from WI and really does a great job breaking down all the different types of sets and takes you out on the line with him to show exactly how its done...

We're pretty conservative when it comes to trapping here it seems like some states let you do just about anything... but we'll give it a go and I'll keep ya posted

2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby Deltaman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:56 am

There were some great trapping threads on this forum a year or two ago, from Assateague, Quackhead and Jeller (whose son was dabbling in it). Might be worth trying to dig up.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DukMan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:58 am

Christmas in October... just got my shipments from Minnesota Trapping Supply... Thursday I'm setting the first line...

2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm

You're going to set line in three days and your traps are un-dyed in the boxes new.
Here is where you start.
That speed-dip stuff works well but is just a wee bit dangerous to apply. Working with gasoline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXXX7t0YFY
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm only throwing out my dogproofs which are powder coated and don't need to be dipped... the rest are going to get dyed and waxed in the mean time

2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:10 pm

DukMan wrote:I'm only throwing out my dogproofs which are powder coated and don't need to be dipped... the rest are going to get dyed and waxed in the mean time

Used to wax and dye traps every year. Then one year I tried speed dip and never went back. You do it once and that's it. Traps I dipped over 25 years ago are still black and ready to use.
When I went to the trappers rendezvous all the traps for sale were speed dipped. Find chris lunn or jehler's kid and ask them what they do. Might have to become a "duck dick" but that's where they are.
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:46 pm

Sounds better than logwood... I already have some so thats what I'll do this year but next year i'll look into the speed dip

2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:41 pm

DukMan wrote:Sounds better than logwood... I already have some so thats what I'll do this year but next year i'll look into the speed dip

I asked. Assateague uses speed dip. Junior uses dye but I bet once he finds the speed dip he's done with that. I think junior is doing a whole lot of stuff old-school to impress people like me and his father.
Not sure about Lunn.
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:13 am

aunt betty wrote:
DukMan wrote:Sounds better than logwood... I already have some so thats what I'll do this year but next year i'll look into the speed dip

I asked. Assateague uses speed dip. Junior uses dye but I bet once he finds the speed dip he's done with that. I think junior is doing a whole lot of stuff old-school to impress people like me and his father.
Not sure about Lunn.

Yeah I've seen some crazy stuff. One guys gathered a bunch of walnuts and left them in a 55gal drum with 1/3 water for a week and it turned the water black then he got it simmering and dipped his traps in that. Seems like a lot of work when you can but a bag of dye for a couple bucks. To each their own I guess.

The trap line setting has been delayed d/t my new argo purchase I have to drive up north and pick her up so I won't be getting a line started until Nov. no worries though got a couple months yet to trap plus furs will be getting prime later anyway.
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:26 am

DukMan wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

Not sure about Lunn.

Yeah I've seen some crazy stuff. One guys gathered a bunch of walnuts and left them in a 55gal drum with 1/3 water for a week and it turned the water black then he got it simmering and dipped his traps in that. Seems like a lot of work when you can but a bag of dye for a couple bucks. To each their own I guess.

The trap line setting has been delayed d/t my new argo purchase I have to drive up north and pick her up so I won't be getting a line started until Nov. no worries though got a couple months yet to trap plus furs will be getting prime later anyway.

ARGO? Damn. Misunderestimated you.
You know them things are pretty simple but have to be maintained somewhat frequently. You'll be carrying that spray grease so get two cans. One for the truck and the other goes in the Argo. Chains/sprockets need to be kept greased and cleared of gunk or weeds. Man it sounds like fun. I always did it the hard way. Where were you 30 years ago? 8-)
aunt betty

Postby DukMan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Getting it done out on the property... so far two nights of trapping and 3 coon, 2 opossums, and 1 skunk eliminated... catching them in dog-proof coon traps filled with dog food and topped with some Caven's Moonshine lure

2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers