2016-17 log book

Re: 2016-17 log book

Postby Ericdc » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:33 am

Rick wrote:John, Eric's pics are sized too large for this board and much of the horizontal image is missing unless you right click your mouse on it and choose "view image" to see the whole thing, where the birds, young and older, are side by side in that first one.

Ahhhhhh I was wondering.

This is the first I've heard of this issue.

Is this better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Deltaman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 am

Eric, yes, this entire picture is now able to be seen without having to make any adjustment.
Thanks John, Rick and Eric, for the clarification on why the barring is different on some birds, and great info on the size of the "white-front" being a determiner of age. Wish we had more geese on our little trickle of flyway, but at least our local Greater Canadian population seems to be growing, and the occasional big bird here and there has added a little excitement to our hunts :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:24 am

Deltaman wrote:Eric, yes, this entire picture is now able to be seen without having to make any adjustment.
Thanks John, Rick and Eric, for the clarification on why the barring is different on some birds, and great info on the size of the "white-front" being a determiner of age. Wish we had more geese on our little trickle of flyway, but at least our local Greater Canadian population seems to be growing, and the occasional big bird here and there has added a little excitement to our hunts :thumbsup:

Good, I post from Tapatalk and have always clicked on the "best" choice when I upload images, will have to start clicking on the "small" option. Never knew there was an issue for those viewing from the actual website.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Here's a shot I took of two adults a few years back to illustrate the point:

And one of the neatest whitefront I recall seeing:
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Ut, oh, John, it looks like you may be obsolete.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 am

Awesome pic of dad with geese, and birds pitching in the background :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks for letting us follow along. I'm incredibly envious of your goose success - albeit not enough so to give up my little marsh pothole just yet.

And reviewing your photos has me wondering about the paint type and colors you're using on your speck decoys?
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:56 am

johnc wrote:
Rick wrote:Thanks for letting us follow along. I'm incredibly envious of your goose success - albeit not enough so to give up my little marsh pothole just yet.

And reviewing your photos has me wondering about the paint type and colors you're using on your speck decoys?

Rustoleum camoflauge --ultra flat--earth brown for the back and head

delta acrylic matte white for white stripe and white front---really any acrylic craft paint that is matte white and brush on

I really like the body position,light weight one piece,way sits on stake properly of the Avery ghg specks,not FFD---all I did was go over back and head with earth brown to darken up---I like contrast on a decoy---had quite a few singles and pairs actually land next too and looked pretty close

Now my old decoys,had to repaint whole thing
1---rustoleum camoflauge earth brown back and head
2---rustoleum camoflauge Khaki to serve as the base coat on the belly and underside until white starts on tail
3---delta acrylic matte white for whitefront,stripe on side,all under tail
4---artist acrylic black brushed on for barring

My old tanglefree snows---had to rough up with sanding---then hand brush all white

Have you ever painted any of the Avery flocked full bodies? The FFD,s.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:12 pm

The flocking does fade some, that's why I was asking about repainting. Couldn't pass up the price I got them for so I bought em. Figured I'll try to find the same paint you mentioned and try it.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:22 pm

johnc wrote:As I said,I have friends that have repainted them and seems to hold

Jack Cousin,Shane Fontenot,Nick Patin,and Nathan Wright have sprayed theirs and paint seems to stick well

Sounds good. Thanks

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:39 pm

johnc wrote:Rustoleum camoflauge --ultra flat--earth brown for the back and head

Thanks. That's surprising, as I've used it and found it more reddish than it looks in your photos. But, plainly, the geese don't mind.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Have tried the Krylon and found much the same.

But if history repeats, this will just be one more year that I didn't get around to repainting the Hardcores I've been meaning to for the past decade...

(Suspect that for specks having them all the same is a lot more important than the same whatever.)
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Right. You'd rather them be all new looking or all faded and not a mix of the 2.

Ericdc

PreviousNext

Return to johnc 2016-2017