October is upon me

Re: October is upon me

Postby Ericdc » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:00 am

Rick wrote:I've had my best luck with localized spoons either by whistling like a pile of greenwings or kacking my arse off, as if they were stubborn teal. But this year I'm going to try the double clucks that so many recordings seem to indicate they do the most of.

They pond hop our farm all morning and only strong winds seem to make them vulnerable. Will try that though and I believe I know the double clicking sound you speak of.

The nastier the weather it seems the better they decoy. We piled them up last year one morning in 20-30 mph north wind and light rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:06 am

Haven't been keeping up with the latest trends in the speck call wars, what's in it? One reed or twelve?

Fun to have a new toy, in any event. Been thinking on auditioning a Stanley Deceiver duck call (LOUD!) and brass tree duck (herding dog) whistle this season to see if I can convince myself either will add a bird or two a season over what I already have. Sick, sick, sick...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:33 am

These black bellies spend the summer at my friends pond here in Quitman. There will be up to 100 at times. Lots of young birds. They roost somewhere else, but show up every morning at daylight. They are here from march through October depending on weather. He's hoping some will hang out till November 19, he wants to mount a few. I told him I'd like to eat a few.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:12 am

johnc wrote:that tree duck call---i would use it
1---because I think early on there will be chances
2---with the current weather and lack of heavy fronts,i mean one that sends the freeze line way south and our lows into the 30's,anything that aids in more possible birds on the strap is welcomed

We seldom see the old "Mexican squealer" fulvous whistling ducks after early November, as they seem to head farther south with the bulk of the bluewings, but the newer to our region black-bellied whistling ducks are apparently hardier and come and go all season, regardless of the weather:

Only time my particular marsh blind sees more than an odd straggler of either is when there's a west wind (seemingly only a couple times a season), but then it's usually game on. Think the blind record was 12 black-bellies one west wind morning, but there have been those when we probably could and would have filled out on them, if those same west winds didn't also bring a big show of teal and jacks over to my end.

I've got a stainless steel Montana Lite herding dog whistle that does a great food fight call they can't leave alone if it reaches them, but that's not loud enough for the range I'd like, and I can't get as melodic as I'd like on the stainless for the louder whistles they do with more reach. So I'm going to spend stupid money for a brass one - just to see if it won't help us shoot a few more. If it saves one hunt, it'll be well worth it to me, but, then too, so will just knowing if that's the case, rather than wondering about it. (The kind of rationale that may someday see my poor grandkids inheriting more calls than cash.)
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:28 am

johnc wrote:I read up on the sheep herding whistle and got lost on how to possibly run it

It's a whoooole lot easier than the internet makes it sound. "Trick" is to begin with the middle of your tongue against the back of the whistle acting as a gate, put a little air pressure on it, slowly move your tongue away from the whistle (creating a tiny gap) and POOF!, you're whistling. It's pretty much all in the gap between tongue and the back edge of the whistle. Getting what I've called the "food fight" call, http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/58939, is then easy if you can do a duck feed call farther back on your tongue with "gud-a," instead of the tip's "tic-a". Getting the inflections right for most of the birds' other calls can be a lot tougher.

I couldn't get anything more than the promise of possibility out of Acme's similar and cheaper plastic or nickle herding dog whistles, but got great results from the Montana Lite, when they could hear it, last year.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:02 pm

2nd crop right?

Ericdc

Previous

Return to johnc 2016-2017