Pre Season Prep

Re: Pre Season Prep

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:27 am

We'll gladly take it and the one said to be on its heels.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:58 am

Marsh Bear wrote:My Mack's Prairie Wings 2018 Waterfowl catalog came in the mail today. THE SEASON must be getting close.

Jealous! Surely mine isn't far behind, and yep that's a key offseason milestone :thumbsup:
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:I watched a duck hunting program on one of the outdoor channels this weekend. They were hunting in Wisconsin I think. The blind was a tall box in the middle of a pond with a roof on it (you could stand up in the blind) with some type of grass mat on the tin roof, the sides were covered with camo material, the front of the blind was maybe waist high with no camo above that.
Where we hunt if you used a blind like that you would not kill a duck all year.

That's the truth. When I hunted in northern Alberta, we were in the middle of cleaned to the ground pea fields, standing in rolled hog wire pens covered in vegetation. It was way too easy, almost too easy. Where we hunted, we were probably the first humans some of these birds had ever encountered.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Put me in mind of then USFWS' head of enforcement down here telling me of flying over Minnesota marshes during duck season, "Looked just like Grumman showrooms - and everybody's shooting ducks."
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Early goose season. I typically hunt out of uncovered blinds. If the birds are around, even the older birds are pretty dumb at the beginning of the season, but they learn pretty quick. Yep, I could see that with the ducks. Other than local birds on opening day, we are already hunting educated birds when they finally show. Another month or two of education :shock:
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 am

Marsh Bear wrote:50 days until teal season - that is 7 weeks and 1 day.

We are going back to the marsh on August 18 to hopefully finish our repairs. We have 2 blinds that need minor repairs, and a few walkways from the boat to the blind that need a little work. We also plan to fertilize around the blinds again, it really helped the grass after our May fertilize. If time allows we will put more seawall material around 2 of our blinds that are showing some erosion.

The things we do to kill a duck.

Really admire the work your crew does to get your setups how you want them, especially without many (if any) young backs to help.

West winds (and north this week!) have our marsh levels low which is very common for this time of year so we'll have to bide our time until the winds turn back around easterly to get enough water in marsh to go ride around for a good look at teal habitat. Under current conditions, much of the ideal teal habitat is just mud flats........ideally allowing some various grasses/weeds to grow up in it before re-flooding late August.
Darren

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:We lease waterfowl hunting rights from an oil company, but the oil company also leases fishing rights for both commercial and recreational fishing, so there is always water in our marsh to get around, the last 3 or 4 years way too much water.

Yea thankfully ours is pretty reliable until late season fronts really push it out. Though it's "low" right now, it's still plenty huntable, just not as easy to get around in the flat boat (with an outboard) than when tides are at normal or slightly elevated levels per the norm in Sept.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:31 pm

Those look good. I’d lease it. Shallow water is always good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:56 am

Best tell that pup to brace himself:

Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:20 am

BGcorey wrote:
Darren wrote:
Marsh Bear wrote:We lease waterfowl hunting rights from an oil company, but the oil company also leases fishing rights for both commercial and recreational fishing, so there is always water in our marsh to get around, the last 3 or 4 years way too much water.

Yea thankfully ours is pretty reliable until late season fronts really push it out. Though it's "low" right now, it's still plenty huntable, just not as easy to get around in the flat boat (with an outboard) than when tides are at normal or slightly elevated levels per the norm in Sept.
i rode around on a lease today that might be available this upcoming season. It’s definitely tidal which I’m not familiar with at all. Most of the area was 1-2’ of water , but the more inland ponds were less than 1’.. and in some areas just inches of water but the mud was soft so easy maneuvering for mud boat.. but surely with north winds and low tide, those inland ponds would be without water?
Again, I know nothing about tides and when they are more significant at different times of the yearImage
Snapped a pic of my buddy who I told to turn around before going any further
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North winds will blow it out and you'll have to focus on those deeper ponds, but upside is even in drought.......you'll have water! And with it tidal, much less likely to have salvinia issues.
Darren

Previous

Return to Marsh Bear 2017-2018