Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:51 am

One of my grandsons went fishing over the weekend, and it would be impolite at this point to say where I rated his IQ. But the stove and hotdogs sound better.

Friend saw a lot of blue-wings in the marsh on the west end of Grand Lake Friday, so you may, at least, have had that going for you. Seeing next to none in my little ag land rounds or along 27 to Creole ball games and miss them sorely.

(Hoped to do some weed control in our marsh Saturday, but found it a fine weekend to forfeit to wet farm roads.)
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:52 am

Bill took a ride down price lake road and saw quite a few birds still hanging around. We did see birds in just about every pond, and I got to clock a group of blue wing flying along side of me on the way home.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 am

How fast were they going.

It's not everyday that I get to be a passenger and it drives the wive nutty when I suddenly start back-seat driving from the side on her.
CATCH THAT BIRD! Now match it's speed. lol
We clocked pigeons going well over 50 one day. (into the wind)
Doves can fly pretty fast too.
Clocked some big geese once at 55. We followed them a long long way. They just happened to be going our way. Happens a lot on I-57 south around turkey day. (or used to)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:26 am

aunt betty wrote:How fast were they going.

It's not everyday that I get to be a passenger and it drives the wive nutty when I suddenly start back-seat driving from the side on her.
CATCH THAT BIRD! Now match it's speed. lol
We clocked pigeons going well over 50 one day. (into the wind)
Doves can fly pretty fast too.
Clocked some big geese once at 55. We followed them a long long way. They just happened to be going our way. Happens a lot on I-57 south around turkey day. (or used to)

I was doing 55 and was slowly gaining on them. Though they were looking for a place to set down and were a bit erratic, following a road ditch.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:57 am

Been a few years back now, but a blue-wing seemed to race me down 14 one evening and held onto 50-something-around-55 a while before veering off. Don't recall the exact speed, just that it shot the ass off the oft heard argument that they just look fast because they're small and DU says they really average just 35. Maybe landing...
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:29 am

Birds can put on a burst of speed and have observed them "playing" with cars.
The blackbirds in the early fall will set on the side of roads gleaning the tiny gravel. The adventurous ones take flight then bird-surf the wave the passing car makes in the air. Some are braver than others.

Used to speed down a certain un-patrolled highway and would tear into flocks of em after coming around the curve with standing corn. Had to upgrade the bird wipers a couple times. That was when I drove a silver 76 monte carlo with brown hood and a yellow fender. Doors screwed shut. Yankee version of the General Lee. :thumbsup:

Yehaw we got three this time! :lol:
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:16 pm

I like this parody, though those not familiar with the cajun dialect may not understand. The names for critters and such change regionally as well.

DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 am

Had to click on the youtube version to see what song it parodied. Have heard of Tom Petty but don't remember if he drove the 9 or 43 car.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:02 am

That video made me think of an old one, Cajun Onstar, that once made the rounds, and then I was reminded of it again just now when I came on this while reading last preseason's log:

aunt betty wrote:Reading you guys reminds me of that guy in Jonesboro who tried to tell me directions using only local landmarks like

"you go to where the chucky cheese used to be, turn left and go to where the root beer stand used to be, then turn right and go to where the pizza hut used to be and you can't miss it". :lol:

Here it is:
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 am

The shrimp video is some SE La culture, "T-Cailliou" area, haha. Cajun On-Star is an old classic, SW La.

A guy sitting at the bar in Acme the other day asked me how the oysters were, then as a surprise, asked if I was even from Louisiana because I had no accent. Growing up in St. Tammany Parish and then continuing in East Baton Rouge Parish to now.......no accent around these parts.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:55 am

People never ever can figure out where I'm from by accent.
Where it gave me the most trouble was Alaska.
Up there if you're not a Texan then you're probably an Okie. (am neither)
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 am

I had no issues during my trip to Canada. I never once had to pronounce my last name.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 am

Rick wrote:Had to click on the youtube version to see what song it parodied. Have heard of Tom Petty but don't remember if he drove the 9 or 43 car.

HAHAHAHA!!
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 am

Darren wrote:A guy sitting at the bar in Acme the other day asked me how the oysters were, then as a surprise, asked if I was even from Louisiana because I had no accent. Growing up in St. Tammany Parish and then continuing in East Baton Rouge Parish to now.......no accent around these parts.

Could be worse. Shortly after my displaced hillbilly self started with Doug's, I also brought on my then favorite hunting partner, but a few years removed from Argentina. Bill (Guillermo) and I were on the back deck shooting the breeze when a guest from parts unknown stopped to eavesdrop a while and explained that he just loved our Cajun accents. We didn't tell him any different.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:A guy sitting at the bar in Acme the other day asked me how the oysters were, then as a surprise, asked if I was even from Louisiana because I had no accent. Growing up in St. Tammany Parish and then continuing in East Baton Rouge Parish to now.......no accent around these parts.

Could be worse. Shortly after my displaced hillbilly self started with Doug's, I also brought on my then favorite hunting partner, but a few years removed from Argentina. Bill (Guillermo) and I were on the back deck shooting the breeze when a guest from parts unknown stopped to eavesdrop a while and explained that he just loved our Cajun accents. We didn't tell him any different.

:lol:

Well it's either that, OR if you don't sound straight off Swamp People, you must not be La native :roll:
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Speaking of accents and dialects. I was playing poker in Vegas. Sitting between a British Bobby (policeman) and a Kansas Hayseed. While in theory they were speaking the same language, there was a definite language barrier. I spent a fare amount of time acting as translator :lol:

First time I was in New Orleans I was riding around the city in a street car. This older couple sat down behind me and started talking, as soon as I heard them, I turned around and asked where they were from. I knew before I asked it was from my central PA region. Although, I was a little bit shocked to find out they were literally from the same town I grew up in and had in fact lived a half a block away from where I was born, but moved a few years before I was born.

I guess this would make me my dialect Upper Susquehanna. It's actually more complex than this depending where in that region you are from and whether you grew up on a farm, a coal mine, etc. There is large mix of people that settled the region with a heavy dose of German (Pennsylvania Dutch), Irish, English, Italian, Poles and other eastern Europeans. I'm mostly German with an Irish Great Grandmother and a Croatian Grandmother. So I have most of the bases covered in my background. Northumberland county near the Susquehanna river was more English influence, cross the river and head out into farm country and you have a lot more PA dutch. Head away from the river and into coal country and you get more eastern European, especially Polish influence. There's a lot of old towns that haven't changed much and others that have changed a lot. When and who settled there and what the major industry was makes such a difference.

While we aren't know for our "accent," we have a complex dialect with a lot of phrases that leave much of the country scratching their head. Since I've lived all over the country, much of that has been removed from my day to day language. When you say something and get a blank stare in return and then you think about what you said and realize that taken literally it is gibberish, you eventually stop using those phrases. As a result, nobody would know where I am from and I actually fall in pretty quick with whatever the local dialect is.

SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Darren wrote:The shrimp video is some SE La culture, "T-Cailliou" area, haha. Cajun On-Star is an old classic, SW La.

A guy sitting at the bar in Acme the other day asked me how the oysters were, then as a surprise, asked if I was even from Louisiana because I had no accent. Growing up in St. Tammany Parish and then continuing in East Baton Rouge Parish to now.......no accent around these parts.

I like it down there, or anywhere in the marsh for that matter. I feel at home.... I hunted in Dularge at the very end of the road many moons ago. Camped in a pop up at a oyster boat unloading dock. Was a fun time! I'm down that way for work every now and again. There, and Fourchon/ Grand Isle. Damn toll bridge cost went up!
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:

Well it's either that, OR if you don't sound straight off Swamp People, you must not be La native :roll:

The soul I cited was plainly lost in time and space. Been runnin' around here in Camron cowboy boots since '83, and a lot of folks still ask where I'm from because "...it doesn't sound like here."
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:

The soul I cited was plainly lost in time and space. Been runnin' around here in Camron cowboy boots since '83, and a lot of folks still ask where I'm from because "...it doesn't sound like here."

Well yea, you want to kill more ducks? Stop wearing those Delcambre Reebok's in the blind, they're flaring everything! :lol:
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:

Well yea, you want to kill more ducks? Stop wearing those Delcambre Reebok's in the blind, they're flaring everything! :lol:

fac8f069adbea5b4aa8b87e146095306--polka-dot-rain-boots-pink-rain-boots.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 pm

We're still trying to figure out which grand kid filched Sweet Chereaux's pink camo ones.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm

The life of leisure....... after pouring a little concrete at the marsh camp.

20180421_140851.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Yeah, well, I'm sitting on my arse doing absolutely nothing productive, too.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:08 am

A look at this springs conditions.

Poule d'eau, just changed my mind about em.

DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 am

Worked for this guy doing siding until one day he said some very odd things.
" I don't really know how to install siding ". ???
Having him teach me how to do it wrong after doing it myself for so many years was rough so I quit right then.

The rest was even stupider so I hopped in the truck and took off hasty quick. He can keep the week's pay I left behind.
13422420_277675025918699_1168562358754629769_o.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:59 am

DComeaux wrote:Poule d'eau, just changed my mind about em.

Need to get the doyos who've never really tried them to quit bad-mouthing them as table fare. 'Course being goof eating doesn't make 'em any sportier gunning...
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 am

thaw baby thaw! We'll see what kind of pond counts are found in late May/early June
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Rick wrote:'Course being goof eating doesn't make 'em any sportier gunning...

That is the truth. That's how I feel about the scaup and other divers at our place. It's just constant waves of pass shooting. I can do that at a skeet range. Though, the smoked duck sausage we made this year has given me a very good reason to take those. If we have the same situation as the last two seasons, I see them becoming very attractive, adding numbers to our strap. Not to mention the opportunity for banded birds. I hear-tell of a banding program underway.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:'Course being goof eating doesn't make 'em any sportier gunning...

That is the truth. That's how I feel about the scaup and other divers at our place. It's just constant waves of pass shooting. I can do that at a skeet range. Though, the smoked duck sausage we made this year has given me a very good reason to take those. If we have the same situation as the last two seasons, I see them becoming very attractive, adding numbers to our strap. Not to mention the opportunity for banded birds. I hear-tell of a banding program underway.

Will divers not decoy where y’all are? We have scaup and redheads try to land in the blind in some parts of our coast.

Yes, they decoy often. We've just been watching them swim around in the decoys.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018