Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Rick wrote:Sweet Chereaux says she's seen a photo of dry marsh near Joseph's Harbor. Have no idea whether that's good or bad, but welcome home.

Last time I was there (3 weeks ago) the west side of price lake road was bone-dry at the start, and very low at the very end, right where that photo was taken, and our marsh still had a decent water depth, which is good for vegetation growth. I have no doubt we'll get the water later in the year. With the high water and flooding we've had over the last few years, I would think this drying is a good thing. No wave action for erosion.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:34 pm

aunt betty wrote:? Send our water to Louisiana? It ends up there anyway.

:lol: It does in deed.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 pm

BGcorey wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:Sweet Chereaux says she's seen a photo of dry marsh near Joseph's Harbor. Have no idea whether that's good or bad, but welcome home.

Last time I was there (3 weeks ago) the west side of price lake road was bone-dry at the start, and very low at the very end, right where that photo was taken, and our marsh still had a decent water depth, which is good for vegetation growth. I have no doubt we'll get the water later in the year. With the high water and flooding we've had over the last few years, I would think this drying is a good thing. No wave action for erosion.
and surely shallower areas will have a chance to seed and grow vegetation before water returns

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like we may get filling rains next weekend. Unknown level of tropical weather to form and move inland into southeastern Texas, as of now.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:59 am

DComeaux wrote:Looks like we may get filling rains next weekend...

Or not.

Imagine the momma gators are building low, so if we get the kind of rain needed for hunting, it will drown a lot of eggs. Roseanne Roseannadana knew what she was talking about.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:10 am

How I get it to rain. Always works 100%.

First you have to wash your truck and the wife's car. Then you water all the rose bushes and flowers in the yard. Then move to the back-yard garden and run the sprinkler on it for an hour. Next go to the other yard and irrigate the corn, strawberries, potatoes, and the melon patch.

It will rain within 24 hours I guarantee.
Just went thru this process and omg we got 5 inches of rain.

Now if y'all want snow in Late-December all I gotta do is...
Last edited by aunt betty on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 am

johnc wrote:
aunt betty wrote:How I get it to rain. Always works 100%.

First you have to wash your truck and the wife's car. Then you water all the rose bushes and flowers in the yard. Then move to the back-yard garden and run the sprinkler on it for an hour. Next go to the other yard and irrigate the corn, strawberries, potatoes, and the melon patch.

It will rain within 24 hours I guarantee.
Just went thru this process and omg we got 5 inches of rain.

Just like getting out of the blind to pee,fowl will appear

Which is why shotguns have rifle slings these days.
How many times have you spilled your coffee to shoot at something?
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Take a listen to this and write up a brief summary of why the ducks don't come south anymore.

https://endofthelinepodcast.podbean.com/e/omaha-with-jeff-estes-and-tony-vandemore-from-habitat-flats/
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:31 pm

DComeaux wrote:Take a listen to this and write up a brief summary of why the ducks don't come south anymore.

https://endofthelinepodcast.podbean.com/e/omaha-with-jeff-estes-and-tony-vandemore-from-habitat-flats/

Tony says "It aint me!"

Pressure pressure pressure
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Habitat, specialized habitat designed specifically by man to hold ducks for as long as possible and longer than ever. He talks about holding them for the entire season thru various means of pressure control and of course food sources until they are done with them. Kudos to the man for his honestly. He's in the duck business and is not shy about saying it.
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:48 pm

It just hasn't hurt enough of the "right" people yet. The day/season is coming when it'll be more, or very concerning to all. Shame on those for trying to wave it off early.

Congressman Garret Graves was on Talk 107.3 for his weekly segment, and brought up the farm bill. Said till the immigration is fixed, it's on the back burner. Said he's aware of the legal baiting practices and is aware LA hunters are not happy.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:56 pm

DComeaux wrote:It just hasn't hurt enough of the "right" people yet. The day/season is coming when it'll be more, or very concerning to all. Shame on those for trying to wave it off early.

is aware LA hunters are not happy.

It depends on what the definition of is is.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Take a listen to this and write up a brief summary of why the ducks don't come south anymore.

Tony says "It aint me!"

No way I could listen to that thing long enough to know why I might want to.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Got banned from FB for using a fake name. Tried sending them a fake ID.
20161005_132148 (1).jpg

What's wrong with the blog vlog podcast whatever?
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:

Tony says "It aint me!"

No way I could listen to that thing long enough to know why I might want to.

I couldn't either. I skipped around to find what I was interested in.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 pm

DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:06 am

DComeaux wrote:
Congressman Garret Graves...Said he's aware of the legal baiting practices and is aware LA hunters are not happy.

I was on hand when John Breaux assured a group of hunters pissed off about the pending move to steel that he supported their position.

Did eventually go back and listen to Vandamore (post "hilarious" vertically-challenged story portion) and did find something new to me and of some interest. That being his marketing education. Reckon his professors are proud of the job he's done with that.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 am

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Congressman Garret Graves...Said he's aware of the legal baiting practices and is aware LA hunters are not happy.

I was on hand when John Breaux assured a group of hunters pissed off about the pending move to steel that he supported their position.

Did eventually go back and listen to Vandamore (post "hilarious" vertically-challenged story portion) and did find something new to me and of some interest. That being his marketing education. Reckon his professors are proud of the job he's done with that.

In my research I've found where he was instrumental, in part, with getting this "farming for ducks" (a step in that direction) going back in 98. It seems more of our northern friends are reaping the benefits. Weather or not his good intentions were focused on Louisiana, possible unforeseen consequences have resulted. Things will continue to degrade for us down here if we choose to do nothing. (shot across the bow)
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Public management areas and private individuals who could afford it have been flooding grain for hunting at least as long as I've been serious enough about waterfowling to notice, circa '70s. Vandamore ain't got nothing on the Ohio DNR or Auggie Busch.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Rick wrote:Public management areas and private individuals who could afford it have been flooding grain for hunting at least as long as I've been serious enough about waterfowling to notice, circa '70s. Vandamore ain't got nothing on the Ohio DNR or Auggie Busch.

I am aware of those in the past that have done this and still do, and know the baiting laws allow for flooded grain (discretionary in some cases) but this has multiplied substantially over the last twenty years and continues to grow. Heck, if the tractor would have stayed working that one year, and we could have drained well enough in years after that, I would have had a stand of jap millet going. I'm fairly certain you've seen the affects of baiting on a local level. Fill the mid migration route with that and it's a no brainier.

If I didn't feel so strongly that flooded corn or other grains, private or NWR's, were affecting the migration, I'd not be interested in this mess. I feel it's the only thing we can eliminate from the equation to at least have a chance of keeping what we have. Natural phenomena and standard, modern farming practices are nothing we can stop or change. Imprinting is real, and as long as this continues I feel we're in trouble. Eliminate what you can, and not worry about the rest. Accept the outcome. As long as there's a removable piece to the puzzle, I'll not be at rest.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:58 pm

most-problems.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:02 pm

So, Dave, in your ideal rewrite, what exactly can still be flooded?
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Couldn't we just ban waterfowl hunting in Canada, Mexico, and every state except Arkansas and Louisiana?
How would that affect the price of a lease?
:popcorn:
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:40 pm

aunt betty wrote:Couldn't we just ban waterfowl hunting in Canada, Mexico, and every state except Arkansas and Louisiana?

Screw Arkansas, too. Of course, without the pressure a whole lot fewer birds would be seen in LA after the opener.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Any and all grain plants that have been harvested using normal farming practices. Regrowth is an act of nature, what you get is what you get, flood it. If this becomes a sticking point, rice after harvest (stubble) may need to be plowed lightly, or rough buffaloed before flooding, depending on how early the harvest. Second crop should not be manipulated in any way at seed head. Planting for crawfish and duck hunting over it would be out.

This may not make some people happy, but it's the only way to level the playing field. I think this second crop rice issue is what started this whole mess. If they can have flooded rice with seed head, why can't we have flooded, unharvested corn. The only difference is, rice naturally regrows to seed.

No one wants to give, but some will lose. I'd prefer to make things even and as natural, or normal as can be.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:25 pm

And how are you defining "grain"?
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:07 pm

And since you can't hunt birds coming or going to baited areas, hasn't your crawfish rice prohibition just shut down most of Southwest Louisiana? Perhaps including yourself, but if not making legal leases like yours cost prohibitive for most.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Too bad assateague isn't here to provide his unique "Commonwealth of Maryland" angle to this "baiting" discussion.
There was a crop failure resulting in a lot of mowed down crops that basically closed the season for him one year due to intense strict enforcement of baiting laws. It's normal agricultural practice to mow down what ever is left so the insurance can cover the entire loss and not have to analyze an entire state 1/8th acre at a time.

Someone decided it was not normal but it is but it isn't... yeah no yeah no yeah you want some carmex? <----obvious southpark reference
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018