Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:49 pm

BGcorey wrote:All sorts of gloom in this thread... atleast ya are old and have gotten to duck hunt for atleast 20 years. I assume that’s prolly a real low number for some of you, just trying to make you feel better! Sounds like I’ll be changing sports in the next 10 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel for the younger guy's just starting out, as It may be over before it really starts for them. I read an article recently of a die off of fowl last January on a northern refuge. This situation also killed many raptors which were feeding on the sick,dying, and dead. This may just be the beginning of the end. Birds are being held in too large of groups for too long.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:49 pm

DComeaux wrote:I read an article recently of a die off of fowl last January on a northern refuge. This situation also killed many raptors which were feeding on the sick,dying, and dead. This may just be the beginning of the end. Birds are being held in too large of groups for too long.

Dang, last big goose die-off I heard about here must of been at least three or four years ago. Probably ought to spread the birds out with more privately managed areas. (Couldn't resist.)
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:01 pm

36640268_10155388817316987_5890516452116529152_n.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:12 am

Tis the season...........dammit :(
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 am

Looks like it'll die before reaching anyone. The conditions out that way are hostile to hurricane formation this year. I pray that it stays this way.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:01 am

I stumbled upon this video today. Where were you, Rick?

DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Almost always with the other Fox host, Jim, when they've their advertisers in camp.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Tried watching that mess but was too painful even skipping through. Best part was Peake's tail's cameo in the guide shack scene.

Saw it was posted last August, but they hunted with Mike Henry at what was Gabe's blind this year and Dave's for a few prior after Mike got too married to hunt, so it's a pretty old video.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Rick wrote: Best part was Peake's tail's cameo in the guide shack scene.

I thought that might be Peake. Never heard talk of another chessie there.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:53 am

Forgot about Nelton who hunted that blind for a season between Dave and Gabe, so the piece was shot that much longer ago than I thought.

But, yes, my five are the only Chessies to have graced our camp staff, though we do see guest Chesapeakes every long now and again. Not nearly as many around as when I moved down here.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 pm

I couldn't find the video outside of facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/jake.till.9/videos/10204861100404052/
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:53 am

Finally broke into "mom's" account and got to watch it. Far, far better than trying to listen to that Josh guy rant.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:11 pm

This came in the mail today. A cruel joke by the feds. See the kernel of corn in the drakes lips.

thumbnail.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:37 am

No sweat, we shot the corn eating SOB:
P1020312a.jpg
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:21 am

The club I hunt at outside Chicago was the top duck killing club in the state many decades ago. You want to complain about changing patterns. I killed 1 mallard there last year :o Back then it was surrounded by corn fields to the north. To the south was a refuge. The club was the first water the mallards would see returning from the corn fields. The old guys talk about after a heavy rain. The ducks feet would be caked with mud and they just bombed in. A wave of ducks would come in and everybody would wait until they all landed so everybody would have ducks in their decoys and then the shooting would begin. All spilling their gullets full of corn on the bottom of the blind. That area is now all housing develops with aerated retention ponds. The mallards no longer stage at the refuge. We just get what passes through. What does stick immediate learns that there are countless ponds to safely stay. It's not uncommon to see more ducks across the street from my house than I saw all morning hunting.

However, go down to the cooling lake after everything freezes. Big piles of mallards, but they just have a million acres to feed in in all directions.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 am

DComeaux wrote:This came in the mail today. A cruel joke by the feds. See the kernel of corn in the drakes lips.

thumbnail.jpg

Who's signature is that across the bottom? Doesn't appear to be your name

Stamp is affixed and signed, HIP was actually conducted properly by Academy sales associate, I'm ready to rock.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:44 am

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:This came in the mail today. A cruel joke by the feds. See the kernel of corn in the drakes lips.

thumbnail.jpg

Stamp is affixed and signed, HIP was actually conducted properly by Academy sales associate, I'm ready to rock.

All good................ The signature you see is the artist.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:55 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:

thumbnail.jpg

Oh, so not actually YOUR stamp on your license. Made me look at my own.......no artist signature, just mine
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 pm

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:

thumbnail.jpg

Oh, so not actually YOUR stamp on your license. Made me look at my own.......no artist signature, just mine

Actually, that isn't mine, you made me look. it's for my cousin that hunts with me. He got his yesterday as well, sent me a picture in a text, and I posted the wrong picture. As I age, my cognitive functions may be slipping away, or maybe I'm just not paying as much attention to, or sweating the little details as I once did.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:04 pm

I need to remember to go pick one up before early goose starts. I used to have a Gander Mountain 5 minutes from my house. It was great when they first opened. Then it got to be that the only thing I would buy from them was my federal duck stamp and my archery tags. I wonder why they went out of business Image
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:My Federal Duck Stamp came in today and I signed it Dave Comeaux :qh:

HAHAHAHA!
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:43 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I need to remember to go pick one up before early goose starts. I used to have a Gander Mountain 5 minutes from my house. It was great when they first opened. Then it got to be that the only thing I would buy from them was my federal duck stamp and my archery tags. I wonder why they went out of business Image

:lol: :lol:
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Interesting article. I doubt seriously that Tony's place stops em all, but a state or two could possibly cause an issue for us.

http://www.nighthawkpublications.com/journal/384/journal_1.htm

This too....
https://blogs.duanemorris.com/animallawdevelopments/2018/07/09/court-affirms-duck-baiting-conviction/
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:20 am

Doesn't seem to be much of a difference between what the state of MO is doing in comparison to the dude in ID...........some of the MO fields in the article were dry fields, yet they could hunt them legally?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am

DComeaux wrote:Interesting article. I doubt seriously that Tony's place stops em all, but a state or two could possibly cause an issue for us.

This too....
https://blogs.duanemorris.com/animallawdevelopments/2018/07/09/court-affirms-duck-baiting-conviction/

Again and again we keep coming around to this regarding Tony V. and the Habitat Flats operation, and here they point this out yet again:

Question: Tony, on our hunt, the only ducks we had coming to our spread were mallards. As each flight came in, you let each hunter know which birds in the flight were greenheads (male mallards), and you asked us only to shoot the greenhead mallards.

And on another response:

In the early part of the season, we still have a chance of taking gadwall and teal, but toward the middle and the end of the season, we’re mainly shooting mallards.

They have teal and grays around in the early part of their season! Water is wet! ............but then they keep on going, somehow not shortstopped by all the corn.
Last edited by Darren on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:02 am

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Interesting article. I doubt seriously that Tony's place stops em all, but a state or two could possibly cause an issue for us.

This too....

Again and again we keep coming around to this regarding Tony V. and the Habitat Flats operation, and here they point this out yet again:

Question: Tony, on our hunt, the only ducks we had coming to our spread were mallards. As each flight came in, you let each hunter know which birds in the flight were greenheads (male mallards), and you asked us only to shoot the greenhead mallards.

And on another response:

In the early part of the season, we still have a chance of taking gadwall and teal, but toward the middle and the end of the season, we’re mainly shooting mallards.

They have teal and grays around in the early part of their season! Water is wet! ............but then they keep on going, somehow not shortstopped by all the corn.

I truly good give a rats ass about habitat flats, that place just happens to be in every article brought up about flooded corn. His place is the "poster child" for all other operations, and even the WMA's and USFWS refuges in his state and others, or maybe he copied from his states refuges.
I have the same sentiment toward the mallard. Grays and other puddle ducks could be stopped by the many state and federal refuges up that way. I doubt seriously that his and other feed lots aren't visited, or hold those birds as well. The almighty mallard is the only thing the customer wants to see.

This whole thing is about BAITING! Legal or not, it does have an affect on the fowl. The more there is, the bigger the influence. It's just common sense. As I've said, we do nothing now, it'll be gone in the not too distant future. We currently do have options. Imprinting is strong.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018