Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Ericdc wrote:There isn’t any “browning” with a sous vide I assume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Season the breast to your taste, injection, etc. Vacuum seal and let sit as long as you'd like. Put it in the water bath @ 135, holding at that temp for 35 minutes or so. The temp is important and shouldn't vary much at all. Pull from the bath and let rest. Take the breast from the bag and grill on high heat just to brown the outside. let rest for a bit then slice. Spoon over the fig reduction.

Sous vide just allows for more even cooking. No over cooked, dried out ends. You can also use a ziploc bag with as much of the air removed as possible. It works just as well.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Could u do this one the stove in a pot of water with ziplock bag?

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Ericdc wrote:Could u do this one the stove in a pot of water with ziplock bag?

I did, and it worked out okay. Those machines are expensive.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:07 pm

DComeaux wrote:

Yea I know.

We have a big fig tree at office. Could u text or type your fig reduction recipe here?

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Gift birds?
Put me on the list please.
Postage is going to be on me.
How to do that without breaking regs?
Is it even possible?

Getting too old to chase em like I used to. The whole family loves duck and goose.
Might be a pair of mallards left in the freezer but that is it.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

Yea I know.

We have a big fig tree at office. Could u text or type your fig reduction recipe here?

Best to use preserves. I'll put it on here when I get home. I can't find the one I use on the interweb.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Oh I have some fig preserves, but I’ll have some fresh ones this summer and I have several ducks in freezer.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:01 pm

Rick wrote:
johnc wrote:I will be honest,speck meat is so good too me,momma made a gumbo for me and Dad with specks,I would rather the stronger tasting blues in a gumbo lol,,,, I know that sounds crazy but I like the stronger wild taste

I'm with you and even know some older folks who'd rather pot roast young blues. Specks are so mild I find they wash out in a gumbo and are lost in fajitas, while blues seem spot-on either way.

Dave, I didn't try swamp's balsamic fig reduction but have sous vide speck fillets and will stick to the grill or pot roasting. Again, not enough going on for my taste.

I honestly get the hankering for duck pot roast,to where I crave that taste. I haven't cooked a snow or blue in a long time. I'm pretty sure everything but the teal and maybe a few grays will be sausage this coming season. I may take some teal out tonight to prepped for a Sunday lunch. The scaup are in trouble this year.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 pm

You can tweak it to your taste. You can also pan sear the breast with a little olive oil instead of using the grill, and use that pan to make the sauce. Just pay attention to your sear time.

20180223_200116.jpg

20180223_201328.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:13 am

Happy, vocal pintail this morning. Video quality sucks.

Decoy pickup
50326_LI (2).jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:36 am

Where are the rest of your decoys?
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Had a little duck and duck sausage gravy Saturday evening, and man, was it good!

20180224_210025.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Looks good, what kind of sausage you used?

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Ericdc wrote:Looks good, what kind of sausage you used?

Duck sausage I had made. Combination of duck, pork, and ribeye trimmings (beef fat).
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Looks awfully good!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:47 pm

Blake came over on Saturday and when I met him at his truck he said he had bad news. He then pointed to the go devil prop sitting in the bed of his truck with part of the shaft sticking out and the end nuts in place. He's been running the engine a few times a week to build time, varying RPM, and Saturday when he throttled up a bit the prop shaft broke and the prop took off. The break was under the last nut in the threads, and from the look of things, it was just barley hanging on, as just a very, very small area looked shiny, indicating a recent break.

All I can say is, thank God it waited until now to give it up, and that it showed itself early enough get er fixed, not adding to our normal prep stuff later this year, or worse. I made a call to a local shop this morning (Blacks Marine) and they have a shaft in stock. New engine, new shaft. We should be good for a while.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:37 am

That's like starting your morning by finding you've a flat in the driveway. Then realizing what a blessing the timing was.

But I've learned for an absolute fact that Black's ain't givin' those shafts away...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 am

Rick wrote:That's like starting your morning by finding you've a flat in the driveway. Then realizing what a blessing the timing was.

But I've learned for an absolute fact that Black's ain't givin' those shafts away...

We had thought this, but at 88 bucks we were surprised. I expected a bit more. Sent an email to, and got a reply from Donna Coco with Go-Devil before contacting Blacks. She mentioned Blacks but said I could get it direct as well. I doubt seriously they'd undercut the dealer.

I read we may get a price hike on hunting and fishing licenses this year. 33 and 42 percent increase, respectively. It will be voted on in the regular session, which begins on March 12th.

http://www.katc.com/story/37600268/louisiana-hunting-and-fishing-licenses-could-see-price-increase
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:28 am

How do you guys feel about a 50% federal tax on ammo? (it's a proposal at this time)
Watched the story on the news yesterday with the wife.

Hard to believe it but she said "let's go".
We ended up at Farm and Fleet and she started putting boxes of shells into the cart and she didn't stop until the store was out of 2.75" Winchester steel. Then she got out her card and paid for it. (insisted) $10.99/box
Dang I got a good one!
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 am

I don’t see a federal ammo tax getting to Trump’s desk..

Although he’s showing his true colors now with all this gun control mess.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:34 am

DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:That's like starting your morning by finding you've a flat in the driveway. Then realizing what a blessing the timing was.

We had thought this, but at 88 bucks we were surprised. I expected a bit more. Sent an email to, and got a reply from Donna Coco with Go-Devil before contacting Blacks. She mentioned Blacks but said I could get it direct as well. I doubt seriously they'd undercut the dealer.

I read we may get a price hike on hunting and fishing licenses this year. 33 and 42 percent increase, respectively. It will be voted on in the regular session, which begins on March 12th.

http://www.katc.com/story/37600268/louisiana-hunting-and-fishing-licenses-could-see-price-increase

Surprises me, too, I didn't pay attention to the itemization, but the "everything behind the u-joint" total on ours was $550. Also surprised you can now buy parts from Go-Devil direct, as I'm pretty sure Adrienne tried that some years ago and was referred to Blacks. Which is why we went to them first this go-around.

As long as they don't eliminate the old fogey's license, I can weather a 40% increase to $7.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:13 am

Corporate is just plain weird about pricing.
When I worked at the factory part of my job was ordering all the supplies for every project i was involved in. Large projects like installing sprinklers and radiant heat in a 2 million sq ft warehouse. Cooling towers, chillers, air compressors, pumps, valves, and pipe.

Made extremely large orders and had quite a bit of clout when calling suppliers.
One project required six 25-horse pumps. Bullied my regular guy down on them pumps.
Within a month the rep from the pump company from St Louis shows up all red-faced wanting to know how in the hell I purchased their pumps for less than they sold them for. Told him, "dude you had the chance when I was comparing bids and you lost that one". "Go talk to Terry at Field and Shorb Connor Co. because I don't fucking know". Now get out of my office.

Good job on finding that shaft for $88! That's what they paid me to do. :mrgreen:
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 am

Our plans are changing. This may be our next ride. We're starting a go fund me page, please be generous.

Package-5-e1506344610726.png
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:40 pm

DC all you gotta do is start letting me keep 40 bee hives, me , my dog, truck, boat, and my tent in your front yard during waterfowl season and then maybe we can work out a deal. :lol:

How far is the nearest liquor store? That could be a game-changer.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Probably take a tall boat hide to accommodate that engine.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Rick wrote:Probably take a tall boat hide to accommodate that engine.

We have one :lol: It has to be lit for air traffic.

I don't think it'll be much higher, if at all, than the go'devil and the grab bar we're currently using.

1W6B2303-1024x683.jpg
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:56 pm

aunt betty wrote:DC all you gotta do is start letting me keep 40 bee hives, me , my dog, truck, boat, and my tent in your front yard during waterfowl season and then maybe we can work out a deal. :lol:

How far is the nearest liquor store? That could be a game-changer.

betty..I have plenty of room for your stuff, and the hives would be welcomed. What worries me is the proximity to liquor :lol:
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:13 pm

DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018