Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 am

Darren wrote: Also, does that show have a lot of waterfowl related stuff/vendors? La Sportsman show in the super dome only has a limited amount

The dome itself houses all things outdoors and then some, and in the convention center I found most everything duck related. The convention center is adjacent to the main dome. The calling contests are in the convention center. I got to blow some calls I've been wanting to try.

As John mentioned, the speck and snow calling was "world class" . These guys are good. I wasn't able to stay for the entire speck contest and didn't get to watch john in speck. I think I left on the second round of team at team 15.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 am

johnc wrote:I was 1,2,3 rd in team real duck—-me and Lyle wells won

2 nd in individual real duck—

2 Nd in team mallard meat— me and Seth fields

Me and Nathan Wright won the team snow

I have won 3 individual snows so I am not able to compete

Me and Garrett Cole were 5th in team speck.

I won my third individual speck so I am no longer able to compete

As far as a crown,no crown,my trophy is consistently killing specks where unless you pull traffic you don’t kill anything and actually working snow geese by the call. Lots of general negative perception about contest callers not killing in the blind,there are exceptions but for the most part comp callers,especially speck wise,get it done in the blind where others fail and that’s what people get pissed at. Instead of studying why they don’t have success in their own situation. I see it all the time. This is why I say if you are under a speck flight you should kill geese. If not,figure out what the problem is and modify to improve. Whether calling,decoys,blind concealment or other variables you can control.

I won best overall goose caller— composite points from top 5 finishes in all events

Very cool. From what Dave described it sounds like I need to skip the La Sportsman show next summer and make it a point to make this event
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Darren wrote:Rick,

what's Mallard Bay's water level looking like? Think they've usually hunted teal season in there, though with mixed results.

Was still good water in most of the ponds (maybe one poor one, if memory serves), and the runs were still in pretty good shape, other than a few floaters. The maintenance work they've been doing seems to be paying off.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:48 pm

johnc wrote:If you want to hear what is possible on a speck or snow call,and now world class meat mallard,then yes. Bill Daniels is taking over a part of this contest and other notable call makers will be involved so it will really be good next year.

As I said before and Dave probably witnessed some of,there is a ton of realism in the routines in everything,duck wise too.

Like ecaller realism in the team snow

What happened to the "World" contest in Katy?
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:Rick,

what's Mallard Bay's water level looking like? Think they've usually hunted teal season in there, though with mixed results.

Was still good water in most of the ponds (maybe one poor one, if memory serves), and the runs were still in pretty good shape, other than a few floaters. The maintenance work they've been doing seems to be paying off.

Guess I should point out that that was when we picked the part they duck hunt some time back. Don't know now. Part I've been in the past couple days is the north end of their holding and definitely "walk" in. Need to sort photos and video and show how that went this morning.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:53 am

If we (Louisiana) continue to do nothing, and only rely on mom and pop to plant a parcel here and there for personal gain, it'll be over soon. All of the indigo on the planet in your little Louisiana duck field will be lonely all winter, except for you in the blind to keep it company.

Arkansas Game and Fish Commission

AGFC air drops waterfowl habitat on Millwood Lake

SARATOGA - Arkansas Game and Fish Commission biologists increased the food available to wintering waterfowl on Millwood Lake last Friday with a special air delivery of Japanese millet around 500 acres along the edge of the lake.

Each year the AGFC works with the Southwest Arkansas Water District and the Little Rock District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to enhance aquatic and terrestrial habitat on Millwood and increase water quality in the lake. The lake is drawn down 2 feet in summer, which dries and compacts much of the sediment in the shallow portion of the lakebed.

“Millwood is a large, shallow bowl, so dropping the water level by 2 feet exposes a lot of mudflats,” said Griffin Park, biologist supervisor at the AGFC’s Hope Regional Office. “The vegetation that springs up on those mudflats can be manipulated through further water level changes to create excellent wildlife habitat.”

Annual smartweeds and native millets will begin to sprout on the mudflats from seeds remaining from previous years, but biologists hedge their bets by aerially seeding mudflats on the western end of the main lake while the soil is still wet.

“We loaded and aerially dropped 7,500 pounds of Japanese millet over roughly 500 acres of mudflats last Friday to offer even more food for wintering waterfowl,” Park said. “The water level dropped a little faster than anticipated, so we had to get everything organized and planted quickly.

“It took three-and-a-half trips for the plane we contracted, but we were able to seed that 500 acres in two hours,” Park said. “With the right water level fluctuations, that can produce some excellent duck food by the time waterfowl makes it to Millwood.”

Park says the water level will be held 2 feet low until late August to allow the millet to begin to grow, then the Corps will close the gates to let the water level slowly rise and encourage growth of the smartweeds and millet.

Bass, crappie and other sportfish on Millwood also will benefit from the project. The lowered water level allows the lakebed to dry and compact, which prevents siltation and promotes the hard bottom many species need for spawning. The drawdown also concentrates prey fish and predators together, increasing growth in popular sport fish species.

“This is one of those projects that benefits many species beyond its initial target,” Park said. “And it’s thanks to our partners at the Corps and Southwest Arkansas Water.”

Eastern Arkansas may garner most of the duck-hunting world’s attention, but excellent duck hunting can be had throughout the state, and the Red River Valley in Southwest Arkansas is no exception.

“Millwood Lake provides a lot of hunting opportunity in this part of the state,” Park said. “We get a lot of blue-winged teal in September and we have an excellent opportunity for early Canada geese on Millwood, with a lot of banded birds from resident populations. During the regular duck season, you’ll see mallards, gadwalls and green-winged teal. Millwood’s open water also attracts canvasbacks, redheads, scaup and other diving ducks. It isn’t the same kind of hunting you’ll find at Bayou Meto or Black River WMAs, but many hunters can take advantage of the duck hunting here without driving across the state.”
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:29 am

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

You and I will be long gone when large parcels of well managed, particularly in terms of pressure, private Louisiana habitat quits holding ducks.

Public hunting land management is a far less effective draw, because as our head upland bird manager once said of quail, "Every time you create a public land covey, you also create two more public land hunters with four more dogs."
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:01 am

Rick wrote:The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

You and I will be long gone when large parcels of well managed, particularly in terms of pressure, private Louisiana habitat quits holding ducks.

Public hunting land management is a far less effective draw, because as our head upland bird manager once said of quail, "Every time you create a public land covey, you also create two more public land hunters with four more dogs."

You're probably right, but then again, there's still a chance you could be wrong. I'd just like to finish out my life on this planet with fowl in the air on a cold, crisp winters morning.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:16 am

Rick wrote:

Like the 80's? Never say never Rick.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:48 am

If it's huntable habitat, didn't notice where it might have said "refuge use only, no hunting", then Rick's on point, public land yahoos will be shoulder to shoulder in there and pressure will counteract the initial draw.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:33 am

.....and that's my point. Shut down all legal baiting and let nature do it's thing. The only concern or involvement we humans should have is in nesting land habitat and maintaining water in that area. The rest will take care of itself. I've read over, and over, and over again that no till provides plenty of food, so there should be no need for bait stations mid flyway.

The state and federal refuge managers should only concern themselves with natural moist soil units, which would seem to me to be a cheaper option to implement and maintain. Hunting over harvested crop fields or set aside farms, flooding whatever sprouted that particular year, this has been done for generations, so why the change? This baiting stuff slowly slithered in like a silent, slimy snake.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:18 am

Still waiting to hear how you propose to effectively shut down what you consider "legal baiting" without the unintended consequence of shutting the door on legal hunting outside of "natural" circumstance, competition for which will put you out of your marsh.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:26 am

DComeaux wrote:This baiting stuff slowly slithered in like a silent, slimy snake.

I don't know about that. In 1990 I was in Virginia near the mouth of the James River. They had flooded crops for wintering waterfowl then. I think the only difference is the amount of attention it gets in some circles. I think the biggest difference is that most people are a lot wealthier than the were a generation or two ago, so managing their land for wildlife, ducks, deer, whatever, is accessible to more people. Combine that with a big increase in popular and I'm sure there is more.

As you know, I go the other way because the harder it is to bait, the more, not less, advantage the big operations will have. If everyone is baiting everywhere, the birds will be scattered. If only the truly rich have the money to do "natural moist soil units" which means what? Do we have to rip out every dike, dam, water control device, ..? Unless you can afford a farm of indigo or some other "natural" moist soil crop or simply switch over to farming rice. Rice grows just fine up north, so instead of corn, grow rice.

These laws don't catch the bad guys. They just catch those unwittingly doing something like hunting next to a place where a farm accidentally dumped some crop or had to mow their fields for insurance. If you are trespassing, how can you know if you are hunting birds going to a "baited" field? Why are those birds piling in next door as you are hunting traffic? If it's a "baited" field, you are a criminal. If it's just what happens sometimes, you are lucky. How do you know you are legal?
SpinnerMan

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 am

Darren wrote:

If it's huntable habitat, didn't notice where it might have said "refuge use only, no hunting", then Rick's on point, public land yahoos will be shoulder to shoulder in there and pressure will counteract the initial draw.

As you know that's already the case in a lot of areas. That does not mean we can't or shouldn't do more on public land to restore it and make it as attractive to waterfowl as it once was. Even if that means more hunting restrictions namely days and time allowed in the field.
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:04 am

Rick wrote:Still waiting to hear how you propose to effectively shut down what you consider "legal baiting" without the unintended consequence of shutting the door on legal hunting outside of "natural" circumstance, competition for which will put you out of your marsh.

Catch-22
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:20 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
DComeaux wrote:This baiting stuff slowly slithered in like a silent, slimy snake.

I don't know about that. In 1990 I was in Virginia near the mouth of the James River. They had flooded crops for wintering waterfowl then. I think the only difference is the amount of attention it gets in some circles. I think the biggest difference is that most people are a lot wealthier than the were a generation or two ago, so managing their land for wildlife, ducks, deer, whatever, is accessible to more people. Combine that with a big increase in popular and I'm sure there is more.

As you know, I go the other way because the harder it is to bait, the more, not less, advantage the big operations will have. If everyone is baiting everywhere, the birds will be scattered. If only the truly rich have the money to do "natural moist soil units" which means what? Do we have to rip out every dike, dam, water control device, ..? Unless you can afford a farm of indigo or some other "natural" moist soil crop or simply switch over to farming rice. Rice grows just fine up north, so instead of corn, grow rice.

These laws don't catch the bad guys. They just catch those unwittingly doing something like hunting next to a place where a farm accidentally dumped some crop or had to mow their fields for insurance. If you are trespassing, how can you know if you are hunting birds going to a "baited" field? Why are those birds piling in next door as you are hunting traffic? If it's a "baited" field, you are a criminal. If it's just what happens sometimes, you are lucky. How do you know you are legal?

I'm in no way denying that this hasn't been going on for some time, but it was limited, and not so much happening on the refuges (FLOODED STANDING CROPS) It's just now more prevalent and growing. I feel we need to get a handle on this issue as it may be affecting the migration. That's what this is all about, putting attention on this free for all. It seems the "conservationist" may have been bamboozled and slipped into a sense of righteousness with no regard or understanding of the consequences for some. Then again, they may have an underlying agenda. Either way, we have stirred things up.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:11 am

20+ years of liberal regs have changed the flyways. Add in TV shows, social media, and the ever increasing popularity of waterfowl hunting and you have what we have. More money than ever being spent both on public land (except for La.) and certainly on private land in the name of conservation with the end result being slowed and delayed migrations. Just the way it is in today's modern world.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Ducaholic wrote:
Darren wrote:

As you know that's already the case in a lot of areas. That does not mean we can't or shouldn't do more on public land to restore it and make it as attractive to waterfowl as it once was. Even if that means more hunting restrictions namely days and time allowed in the field.

Exactly zero people will support any such measures if it results in reduced opportunity (e.g. days afield), that's first and foremost. Hell we hardly got away with (and likely never will again) opening on a Friday in an effort to boost the effectiveness and hunt quality of the entire teal season last year (regardless of how it ended up turning out). People whined about losing ONE DAY of opportunity, and that didn't even apply to those that could take off. So best of luck improving habitat but then saying can't hunt it as much, drawing a distinct line in the sand.

I'd counteract that with areas where hunters are able to make a CHOICE, such as our limited access areas on state WMAs......no one's saying you can't hunt there, you're just going to have to make a choice whether you're willing to put in a little extra effort to reap the rewards. But in that case hunt opportunity, save for the handicapped or elderly, is not reduced.

While we're on this and know they're in the background from previous discussions, through a friend that apparently visits regularly, recently came across some "hero shots" of hunts from Little Pecan last season......piles and piles of those long birds with the red/brown "chocolate" heads with white trim and long pointy tail, and those others so many talk about that don't exist in Louisiana, allegedly, with the iridescent solid green heads, yellow bill, curly black feathers at the rump.

Those who can will make the referenced habitat upgrades and then leave it up to themselves to manage pressure instead of being yahoos and invading it day after day. And they're steadily being rewarded......... To contrast, marginally decent coastal habitat in Delacroix area, though "private" is degraded by the yahoos that joy ride all day in mud boats just to see the birds take flight en mass. Can we not work to combat that as another angle in preserving (and improving) what habitat we DO have? Dave? What's the FFL's stance on that?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:50 pm

Darren wrote: Can we not work to combat that as another angle in preserving (and improving) what habitat we DO have? Dave? What's the FFL's stance on that?

We can can come at this from all angles, but we need to come together as a state to do it. No one likes to sacrifice even a little until it's too late, and some just don't care. There is a ton of research done by the FFL, Josh in particular, that is in the hands of the state officials and representatives now that's being reviewed. There is a bigger picture here than most most will admit to seeing, or haven't seen because they're laser focused on their own little worlds. Some, or most commenting, and I don't mean just on this site, haven't taken the time to ask for or even look at this information. Again, that goes to self focus and disregard. I have maybe 10 to 12 years of good hunting left, if God's willing, and I would really prefer to not be stopped prematurely due to lack of fowl.

johnc wrote:
CBF62BF3-7C7C-4C82-959A-CC446E66E1B9.jpeg

This is from last season,so what is wrong with this? Yes it’s certainly not a limit of mallards and pintails,but still a good hunt to me.

I guess others have higher expectations

There's not a darn thing wrong with that take, and as I've mentioned several times, I was fairly satisfied with our past season. Did we shoot our limit every time(?), not even close, would I have wanted more(?), sure, we all do. This is not about today, it's about our (LA) future.
I'm very anxious to see what this season has in store for us. My confidence in what will be has waned to almost noting over the years, from a time when it was really high with no doubt. That's been a long time ago.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 pm

johnc wrote:
CBF62BF3-7C7C-4C82-959A-CC446E66E1B9.jpeg

This is from last season,so what is wrong with this? Yes it’s certainly not a limit of mallards and pintails,but still a good hunt to me.

I guess others have higher expectations

Garbage! Why even go!??? LMAO

Not a thing wrong with that, awesome hunt by any standard. But some might say it's just dribs and drabs, get out the pitchforks!
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018