Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:33 pm

aunt betty wrote:Mr. Phelps...

Get your powerful shrimp lobby to change it's job and lobby AGAINST no-till agriculture.
Ban no-till and force every farmer (by law) to spend that $$$ and plow every square inch of tillable farmland to a depth of 8 inches no later than October 31 each year. ALL TILLABLE GROUND includes that standing corn that get's flooded. Any field found not plowed by October 31 will be fined $1000/acre. No state exemptions!

There's one little problem. The chemical industries' lobbyists have more money. WAY MORE!
They'll fight to keep farmers using no-till and chemicals to kill bugs and weeds.
There is no easy solution and there are wealthy powers working very hard against any solutions that you can come up with.

This is a very hazardous mission should you choose to accept it.
This message will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Not interested in no till, low till. If it has a big influence on the migration, so be it. It's a farming process.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:47 pm

If you want to ignore the single largest factor that's short-stopping "your" ducks so be it.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 pm

aunt betty wrote:If you want to ignore the single largest factor that's short-stopping "your" ducks so be it.

I haven't seen any no til - low till footage of duck carnage, or one USFWS or state refuge using this method.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:28 pm

DComeaux wrote:
aunt betty wrote:If you want to ignore the single largest factor that's short-stopping "your" ducks so be it.

I haven't seen any no til - low till footage of duck carnage, or one USFWS or state refuge using this method.

Go watch any show on tv where they are hunting harvested corn, peas, barley, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 am

DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:One more time: what solution does he or you or anyone propose to stop flooding feed that won't have negative consequences for most Louisiana waterfowlers? Even if the powers that be don't take a baiting rewrite in unintended directions?

And never mind that the habitat loss and hunting pressure here wouldn't let you turn back the migration clock, even if it were within man's power.

To be determined

Crawfish ponds using rice as food should not be an issue if not hunted, especially if fished regularity and surrounded by cannons. I wouldn't want to hunt near there anyway.

Rick, I'm curious as to your thinking on this. Are you really content with the status quo, are you really okay with the wait and see, don't poke the bear attitude you seem to have?

Again, the flooded rice in crawfish ponds would, in fact, be a major issue, not just for those who can no longer hunt the ponds, themselves, but within who knows what distance birds might be trafficking to and from them, as the current law reads. Can't allow hunting in remotely close proximity to bait, or folks with the wherewithal will be hunting whatever distance might be allowed from truckloads of feed.

Rule that nothing man's planted can be flooded, and those with the wherewithal will be hunting the absolute best moist soil feeds adaptable to their areas a year after that ruling is made. Only way to stop that is to stop the artificial flooding that makes that feed available, so there went manipulated water. Which leaves whatever waterfowlers can't find another way around that competing in the market for completely natural habitat.

And never mind the value of all that lost man-made wintering habitat to the birds' overall wellbeing, as you and the likely great majority of us who currently do will no longer have vested interest in it.

I am by no means "content" with how things are developing for us or the birds. But I am resigned to the facts that people are going to keep making more and more people (some of which will earn or inherit more privilege than others), and the influence of all those new people and their technologies combined with natural forces no one seems to begin to understand are producing changes well beyond the control of our little special interest group. And I am resigned to counting myself blessed to have lived at a time when it was still possible for me to enjoy the natural bounties, of all sorts, that I have.

But I'd much rather devote my waterfowling energies to enjoying what we still have than to convincing the world that our share of the resource should be larger than theirs, much less "kicking a bear" that's more apt to put me out of the game than effect meaningful change.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 am

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

Go watch any show on tv where they are hunting harvested corn, peas, barley, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canada is a special place, where a majority of the juveniles are wiped out before reaching the U.S.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:57 am

Things change and then they change some more and once you just about get used to it they change again then change some more.
Adapt.

The earth's climate is not static and therefore migration patterns are not as well.
I've heard enough arkies bawling over how the sky used to be blackened by the ducks.

Heck I might buy a Kansas license this year. That's what I call adaptation. :mrgreen:
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am

Rick wrote:
But I'd much rather devote my waterfowling energies to enjoying what we still have than to convincing the world that our share of the resource should be larger than theirs, much less "kicking a bear" that's more apt to put me out of the game than effect meaningful change.

This is about where I stand, particularly so that our share for so long (and still is) as much or more than most any others.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 am

Wish I could get back on facebook, rejoin that Arkansas Duck Hunter secret group. and start adding you guys so you could see them saying the same exact stuff y'all are. They are wracking their brains day and night trying to come up with a way to get "their" ducks back. The way I see it is they're "OUR" ducks and we share the wealth.

If I could snap my fingers and get all the ducks in north America to all fly to Ricks mudhole I would. (for an extremely high price)
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 am

DComeaux wrote:This was put on FFL. I'm fairly confident there are many of these in the flyway.

I was asked to post these videos on the relevant thread talking about this but it only let's me post one at a time.

I went on a trip to Reelfoot lake area a few weeks ago...mid januaryish...it was cold. Frozen cold. Reelfoot lake was frozen solid bank to bank 6 inches thick. Shouldnt have been a duck for 200 miles. But...on the Black Bayou NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE....tax payer funded and one of 7 refuges in the general area was full of both water...corn...and ducks. I've seen birds by the thousands....this was by the 10s of thousands.

This is a small refuge , few hundred acres. It's planted with unharvested corn and has several well heads. Each pumping an umbrella plume of water that would drown u if u stuck ur head under it. The result was astounding.

We watched ducks for an hour n a half get up from one side of the little gravel road that split the cornfield and go land on the other side. It held em there for a week or more of freezing weather that SHOULD have sent em south. All they have to do is endure the cold a few days. It thawed the following Tuesday and the ducks stayed.

I saw this same thing at the same refuge for the first time 7 or 8 years ago. So I know it's been going on at least that long.

I filmed this myself...less than a month ago. I'm not asking anyone....or suggesting....or repeating some rumor I heard on the internet....im INFORMING you guys. I'm TELLING you this is going on. This is but one refuge out of God knows how many up and down the MS River alluvial valley.

If u wonder where ur mallards are....i found em.

https://www.facebook.com/KentSaxon/videos/1738311239553461/
https://www.facebook.com/KentSaxon/videos/1738311719553413/
https://www.facebook.com/KentSaxon/videos/1738312946219957/

Catching up since I was on a florida island beach last 4 days. Did come across this though on FB feed........and once again, "not my birds". A FEW may be SW La birds or north la green timber, or CenLa rice birds, but they're not mine in South central (coastal to SE La). So it doesn't account for grays or green wings, or spoons or whatever else.

On this whole imprinting thing, in the 2013 season I thought we were done for given the grays for some reason just did not show up in my hometown marsh. We had more mallards than grays, it was nuts, even with snow and ice, etc. We had to wonder....had they forgotten this area? Will the ones that didn't come this year, now never come again since they've apparently imprinted elsewhere? In 2014 we had grays in droves on droves, and in '15 and in '16. So, nope, they didn't forget. Last season was slower but still had some big showings of grays. Who knows what Nov '18 will look like when we kick it off in the Coastal Zone on the 10th, but I'd imagine a gray or two will make the opening day strap.

Thanks Larry for kicking it around with us; best of luck tomorrow. I've been there for those meetings in the past with Delta and DU and I couldn't believe the politics. You've likely noticed/not noticed my absence ever since.......was disheartening.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 am

CRAP! I tried snapping my fingers. Can't do it. There's some Viking blood in me which means I have this weird Viking disease that makes your hands get all gnarly. Sorry there will be no snapping the ducks to the mud hole at any price. I'm sorry. I tried.

Who ever heard of a hobbit-sized Viking? :mrgreen:

But wait! Kept trying and managed to get the left hand to snap fingers four times (half-assed)
There will be ducks in that mudhole! (half-assed)
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 am

aunt betty wrote:If I could snap my fingers and get all the ducks in north America to all fly to Ricks mudhole I would. (for an extremely high price)

Don't nuthin fly "to" the mudhole of its own volition, just over and around it.

Perhaps ironically in some minds, largely thanks to fat cats' willingness to spend megabucks to hold ducks for their and their guest's hunting pleasure nearby enough that I get to work birds trafficking to and fro. "My" birds would mostly be elsewhere if not for those with the wherewithal to provide them safe feeding and resting opportunities in our area. They're damn sure not sticking around because they get a kick out of running the gunning gauntlet most of our region has become - despite what an army of frustrated sky-busters might think.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:40 am

It's not nice to fool with mother nature. :clap:
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Rick, I hope to see videos from you showing this in a couple of months.

DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Haven't seen a bwt in 30 years.
They ain't here.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 pm

aunt betty wrote:Haven't seen a bwt in 30 years.
They ain't here.

We haven't been getting them like we used to. They love those rice fields, and the marsh where I hunt is hit and miss. They'd have to be really thick in the rice for us to get the push from those guns, and that would be later in the morning.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:39 pm

I think of September blue-wings as being "rice" birds, but the best ag land gunning most always seems to be over something else, as the first crop waste rice is mostly smothered by thick standing second crop stalks in late September. Pretty much have to hunt where the very last of the first crop has been cut for a jam-up rice hunt. Generally much better off over flooded pasture or plowed and flooded fallow ground, and particularly that with indigos. But it could be that not even indigo beats ground plowed to dust and holding just enough water for duck salad to volunteer.

In all, ag lands have still traditionally been much stronger than even fresh marsh like ours - at least prior to the past couple seasons. That may be shifting due to pressure on the ag lands, too.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:09 pm

I guess I use the word "rice" loosely when referring to that area. There are plenty of cow pasture and set aside fields out that way that are used for teal. When I hunted in Holy beach years ago, I hated to see a front with a lot of rain coming through. It would put sheet water in the marsh turned cow pastures, and that's where our birds went. The locals who had access would turn up with full straps.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:26 am

I pretty much assumed you were thinking of ag lands in general, Dave, and was just thinking out loud. Last 300+ bird teal season I've had was 2011 in flooded pasture Jarren and his crew later rented for a while.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:29 am

Some of the best teal hunting in SE La can be in sugar cane fields or cattle pastures flooded from skirting tropical systems. Sheet water draws for sure.

Dave is hunting sugar cane ok?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 am

Darren wrote:Some of the best teal hunting in SE La can be in sugar cane fields or cattle pastures flooded from skirting tropical systems. Sheet water draws for sure.

Yes,and the duck meat is sweet.

I hate to see that you guy's are content with the short stopping to the north by the use of ever expanding, unconventional farming practices. I guess we'll all ride the wave to empty skies together. At least I can say I was involved with trying to nip it in the bud.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:30 am

If every sugar cane field in the state was converted rice and all of SE La. Marsh was like it was 30 years ago it wouldn't matter one bit. Waterfowl have adjusted to the landscape to the north of us. Their needs are being met elsewhere. Improving and restoring our own habitat is nothing more than a feel good story these days. The ducks that do come are going to continue to come in dwindling numbers slowly but surely. Just the way it is and nothing is going to change that except maybe if the PPR goes dry. Then we will see who the real conservationist are to our north.

Carry own Dave. Your efforts are honorable and noble... :thumbsup:
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:50 am

DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:Some of the best teal hunting in SE La can be in sugar cane fields or cattle pastures flooded from skirting tropical systems. Sheet water draws for sure.

Yes,and the duck meat is sweet.

That's what I hear!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 am

Marsh Bear wrote:DC - we more often than not have some type of tropical system pass close enough to dump 2-4 inches of rain in our marsh during September. As you said this puts water everywhere and the Blue Wing Teal love the shallow grassy areas.
We have to wait until about 8:30 or 9:00 for our Blue Wingers to come south.
Last teal season we only limited out 1 day, it was the second day of the season and all 3 blinds hunted with 3 hunters per blind limited out. Not one blind got a limit other than that day.

Historically, the area I hunt now is not all that for teal season. You do have an occasional day when they're thick, but thats not the norm. I had never hunted teal season in the marsh at any of my blinds in the past. When I picked up the ag field blind 7 years ago, that's when my full out teal season hunting began. I carried that to this marsh we're now in. Some of my blinds back in the day just took too much set up to make it worth while.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:18 am

But you seemed to have a fair teal season in '17, and even had reports of some cats hunting south of you in what looks to be some nice shallow broken stuff that were flat out lighting it up. No?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Darren wrote:But you seemed to have a fair teal season in '17, and even had reports of some cats hunting south of you in what looks to be some nice shallow broken stuff that were flat out lighting it up. No?

We have yet to take a 6 bird per man limit since it was put in place. What I call having good numbers is when a 4 man blind leaves with limits, heading for breakfast before the top of the sun reaches the horizon. That we did regularly our first, and or second year in the rice. That, while it was still 4 per man. Call me spoiled, but I know, and have been a participant in what we once had, or what can be. I hope we have blue wing in decent numbers this year.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Well yea I've been on them like that too, 6 man limits as fast as you can shoot (4-bird days); but was an anomaly for our marsh for one year given par is just a few per day. I dont have to have it lights out, just nice to have a lil action for that early season to justify enduring the bugs.
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018