Handgun Reviews

Re: Handgun Reviews

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:50 am

I've had a couple Tauruses throughout my life, and always found them to be good guns. I don't know much about the others. My next gun is going to be a Taurus PT22. That is a fun, very comfortable gun to shoot.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 am

Sigs are nice. Is the 220 the plastic frame 9?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:05 pm

I was chatting at gander last night and the guy had me hold a springfield xd. Fit a lot better than the Glock, but still wasn't perfect. Definitely manageable tho. Anyone know much about them?

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Goldfish wrote:I was chatting at gander last night and the guy had me hold a springfield xd. Fit a lot better than the Glock, but still wasn't perfect. Definitely manageable tho. Anyone know much about them?

sent from a phancy fone

Like everything but the trigger pull
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Goldfish wrote:I was chatting at gander last night and the guy had me hold a springfield xd. Fit a lot better than the Glock, but still wasn't perfect. Definitely manageable tho. Anyone know much about them?

sent from a phancy fone

Like everything but the trigger pull

X2. I had an XD40 a few years back, and the trigger pull felt like it travelled 9 feet before firing. I suspect this is a safety-related issue. Very reliable and easy to clean, though.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Had a xd .40 that got sold for a glock 27
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:46 pm

So what was the reason for selling them then if they were good?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Trigger specifically
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:17 pm

assateague wrote:I've had a couple Tauruses throughout my life, and always found them to be good guns. I don't know much about the others. My next gun is going to be a Taurus PT22. That is a fun, very comfortable gun to shoot.

That's my boot gun, have had one for twenty years, love it
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 pm

jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:I've had a couple Tauruses throughout my life, and always found them to be good guns. I don't know much about the others. My next gun is going to be a Taurus PT22. That is a fun, very comfortable gun to shoot.

That's my boot gun, have had one for twenty years, love it

Buddy has one, and we shoot the shit out of it. Never had a problem, with any brand of rounds. Although I never tried the subsonic. Don't imagine they'd work very well.
assateague

Postby jehler » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Idk, doesn't take much to cycle, it's the the little guy with the pop up barrel right? Semi auto? That's what I have
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:47 pm

jehler wrote:Idk, doesn't take much to cycle, it's the the little guy with the pop up barrel right? Semi auto? That's what I have

Yep. I thought the springs on a blowback action were stiffer, but I could be wrong. Don't know much about them, only that it's fun as hell to shoot.
assateague

Postby huntall6 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:22 am

i only have two pistols but i will do a short overview for you.

Para-Ordinance "slim hawg"
.45-1911 style single stack
as far as i know, it has the shortest grip of the 1911 style pistol.
i really like this pistol. very concealable, only had 1 FTE (with a cheap surplus mag and blazer aluminum case ammo), fits pretty well in my (small :( ) hands, and is pretty darn accurate for a 3" barrel. the oversize safety lever is also a plus IMO for a carry pistol (adrenilene pumping may make you miss the tiny mil-spec saftey). my only complaint is that the flush mount mags are priced for a king! but i only have one (in the gun while carrying), and just carry full sized mags as backup.

CZ-75D (compact)
9mm double/single action
i bought this gun for the soul reason that it was such a comfortable fit in both mine and my wife's hand. really feels like and extension of your arm, IMO. never had a hiccup with this pistol. light recoil, easy to break down, accurate as i could possibly be, and has a rail if you want accessories. the only downside is that the slide is a little small when stripping the first round into the chamber. besides that, i love the little guy.

and if you are just looking for a starter/plinker, dont overlook the highpoint pistols. they are fairly accurate, and fun to punch paper with....
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
huntall6

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:52 am

Looking more into the xds. Does anyone know the difference between an XD and an XDM? Gander had one for $650ish that I think was an XDM, and the local gun shop has an XD for $450ish. Both are .40 cal, both are the same barrel length. The one at Gander had a longer clip so the handle was a bit longer, but I'd imagine that is just swapping the clips.
Goldfish

Postby huntntech » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:42 am

Here are a few advertised differences. ( Ive been looking at these guns as well.)
Adjustable backstraps
Match-Grade barrel
Better trigger
More aggresive grip texture and slide serations
Better accessiblity of mag release
More mag capacity

I have shot the XDM and I really liked it. I have not shot the XD to tell a difference personally.
huntntech

Postby Juice Box » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 am

I'm a big fan of the Sig Sauer P226 it's a very reliable gun. The cons are its size (it's a full size handgun) and magazine capacity. In CA it doesn't matter because u can only pack 10 round magazines but I'm a firm believer in the more ammo the longer you can stay in the fight. If you are looking for something cheap and reliable I'd go with a Springfield XD or a S&W Military&Police .40 cal.
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 am

Sig fan here...I usually carry a 229 or a 232. A 220 was the first pistol I ever bought. I like the quality and the way they fit my hand.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 am

What Dan said- it's all about the fit. I honestly believe that most guns anymore are 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Some have this and some have that, but for the most part the quality and reliability is pretty damn close to the same. Just pick one that feels good. I know 1911s are good guns, but I've never been able to find one that fits my hand well. Maybe it's the single stack, I don't know, but I know I'll never buy one.
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 am

assateague wrote:What Dan said- it's all about the fit. I honestly believe that most guns anymore are 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Some have this and some have that, but for the most part the quality and reliability is pretty damn close to the same. Just pick one that feels good. I know 1911s are good guns, but I've never been able to find one that fits my hand well. Maybe it's the single stack, I don't know, but I know I'll never buy one.

I bought a taurus 1911 a few years back when dip $#!t took office, why? Cuz I wanted one. Do I use it much? No, I use my sig first personal use, I just having the option!
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am

BrewGUN wrote:
assateague wrote:What Dan said- it's all about the fit. I honestly believe that most guns anymore are 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Some have this and some have that, but for the most part the quality and reliability is pretty damn close to the same. Just pick one that feels good. I know 1911s are good guns, but I've never been able to find one that fits my hand well. Maybe it's the single stack, I don't know, but I know I'll never buy one.

I bought a taurus 1911 a few years back when dip $#!t took office, why? Cuz I wanted one. Do I use it much? No, I use my sig first personal use, I just having the option!

this guy knows, he was a security guard once.
gaurd.....he's a gaurrrd
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:57 pm

jmitch wrote:I was in the same situation looking for cheaper gun to start with. I looked at the svde and the sigma in 9mm but then ended up buying a used glock model 22 for a little less money than the shops around me wanted for the cheaper s&ws brand new. So far i really like the glock but I know they are not for everybody. I'm not sure if you are looking at .22s or not, but the ruger sr22 is another gun i was looking at. A little more money than the cheaper s&ws but seems to be a little better gun and as cheap to shoot as your going to find.

Picked up a Ruger SR22 for my wife as her first pistol, will be interesting to see how it shoots.
goodkarmarising

Postby BrewGUN » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:08 pm

jehler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:

gaurd.....he's a gaurrrd

and you were an @$$ once...oh wait thats just you ;)
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:05 pm

BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:

gaurd.....he's a gaurrrd

and you were an @$$ once...oh wait thats just you ;)

Gaurrrd
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Did they give him an extra bright flashlight or was that too dangerous?
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Did they give him an extra bright flashlight or was that too dangerous?

It was like 3 feet long
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm

jehler wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Did they give him an extra bright flashlight or was that too dangerous?

It was like 3 feet long

That wasn't my flashlight!
BrewGUN

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:58 pm

BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:

It was like 3 feet long

No joke, I asked about his flashlight not his dildo
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:

It was like 3 feet long

One and the same
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 am

jehler wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
BrewGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:

It was like 3 feet long

One and the same

Dont worry, i left it in your boat that you left in my backyard;)
oh and i did some mods to the motor as well ;)
BrewGUN

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Not going to lie, I just burst out laughing at the thought of a dildo flailing about on top the flywheel on an outboard
Goldfish

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns & Self Defense