Handgun Reviews

Handgun Reviews

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:07 pm

So, I'm looking for something for myself, trying to see what is what, etc. Looking for something fairly reliable (if you have a gun that jams every other clip, that's something I want to know not to get, etc). What do you have and how do you like it?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Handgun Reviews

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I'll admit it. I'm a Glock fan boy. I love my Glock 17 and plan on getting a 26 as soon as the money is there. Glocks are well known for their reliability.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Springfield
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 pm

I have a Glock 27 that I've had for a short while, but I love shooting that gun. Never had a problem, other than keeping my wife from blasting through the high-dollar self-defense rounds instead of the practice rounds. I also got an IO Hellcat (very cheap, mixed reviews) .380 not too long ago. I'd be hesitant to recommend it this early, until some problems may have time to show if they will, but I have had zero problems so far with it.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 pm

I can attest to glock 27 as being a good gun as well. Only complaint I have is with its bulkiness it didn't conceal as well for me. Have a ruger LCP that serves its purpose as a pocket gun but that's it. My Dan Wesson CCO is where it's at. All machined tool steel parts and conceals great. BIL has a sig 238 that I love for a small gun but would probably not pocket carry due to hammer. H&K and sig are also on my short list. If you conceal spend the money on a crossbreed or crossbreed knock off and don't look back. Hands down best holster out there.

So with saying all that it boils down to your intended purpose and preferences.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:03 pm

FS I don't know what you were doing wrong not being able to conceal a G27. Here's a picture of a full sized Glock under a thin Cotton tshirt.

uploadfromtaptalk1355425395327.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby huntntech » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:43 pm

I have been looking at handguns for a while, myself. I like the Springfield XDM. I finally got to shoot one a couple weeks ago and I like it. I have never shot a Glock, but would like to so I can see the difference betweeen them. I dont know anything about how well they conceal.. being from Illinois Ive never had to worry about that.
huntntech

Postby Bad17 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm

I prefer 1911's either Colt or Kimber. .45 cal of course. They feel good shoot good and conceal very good. Just my opinion. Springfield, h&k, good guns too. Glock I just don't care for. They are a fine weapon but I just don't like them. It really boils down to you holding and shooting a gun. Find one you like and then ask about it. Everyone has their preferences you just need to find yours. Hope this helps.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm

I've heard that Glocks are the 'ol reliable, but the 17 that I shot at Gander was just too bulky for my hands to be comfortable. I'll deal with concealing whatever I get, and it's not something I plan on carrying all the time. I work at a financial institution that we are not allowed to have a weapon on us in the building (seems opposite of what you would want), so I for sure won't be carrying it every day.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Goldfish wrote:I've heard that Glocks are the 'ol reliable, but the 17 that I shot at Gander was just too bulky for my hands to be comfortable. I'll deal with concealing whatever I get, and it's not something I plan on carrying all the time. I work at a financial institution that we are not allowed to have a weapon on us in the building (seems opposite of what you would want), so I for sure won't be carrying it every day.

You might like a 1911. I don't like them for the opposite reason- they feel too small in my hand, but the Glock fits right.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Olly wrote:FS I don't know what you were doing wrong not being able to conceal a G27. Here's a picture of a full sized Glock under a thin Cotton tshirt.

uploadfromtaptalk1355425395327.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Idk the squareness of them seemed to grab my shirt and was always trying to ride out if I didn't have my undershirt over it. My buck fiddy scrawny ass didn't help either :lol: 1911 is my sweet spot although I have to disagree with kimber IMO. I don't think they are the same gun they grew their reputation with. Screwed up with the new safety system and it doesn't feel like the quality meets the price tag, again IMO.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:10 pm

assateague wrote:
Goldfish wrote:I've heard that Glocks are the 'ol reliable, but the 17 that I shot at Gander was just too bulky for my hands to be comfortable. I'll deal with concealing whatever I get, and it's not something I plan on carrying all the time. I work at a financial institution that we are not allowed to have a weapon on us in the building (seems opposite of what you would want), so I for sure won't be carrying it every day.

You might like a 1911. I don't like them for the opposite reason- they feel too small in my hand, but the Glock fits right.

Is there any 1911s out there cheap-er-ish? I saw cabelas is going to have a S&W SDVE in either .9 or .40 for $330. Didn't seem like a bad price, but I know nothing about that gun.
Goldfish

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Rock islands are decent for plinking but not sure I'd carry it. I wouldn't go below that level.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bad17 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Don't buy the S&W SDVE they do not hold value very cheaply made and basically a knockoff Glock. I owned one and paid 299 for it and could not get my back out if it. All this is IMO AND experience.
Bad17

Postby Bad17 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Flight the Kimbers I have are very quality. No issues with anything and the safety is the same as on the Colt. I have had them for a few years and have not looked at any others. You will have to tell me about the safety issue.
Bad17

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Bad17 wrote:Flight the Kimbers I have are very quality. No issues with anything and the safety is the same as on the Colt. I have had them for a few years and have not looked at any others. You will have to tell me about the safety issue.

Must be one of the older style, the good ones. New ones have the Swartz safety.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Check out the springfield xd sub comps, I've got one in .40. I also have my sig 226 in .40, I've carried that too.
BrewGUN

Postby jehler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Bad17 wrote:Flight the Kimbers I have are very quality. No issues with anything and the safety is the same as on the Colt. I have had them for a few years and have not looked at any others. You will have to tell me about the safety issue.

Is there Swartz the same size as mine?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 pm

jehler wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

I'd take that bet
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:53 pm

BrewGUN wrote:Check out the springfield xd sub comps, I've got one in .40. I also have my sig 226 in .40, I've carried that too.

The sig in my experience is very reliable it's saved my ass too can't knock it.

I have an XD 40 and I like it but it did jam regularly with the ten round mags. Once I got my 12 round mags it stopped having problems.

I also have a Ruger LCP in 380 and its been very reliable.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby jehler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I have a Glock 22, I like it, has never malfunctioned but it doesn't feel as nice as the Springfield 1911
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Bootlipkiller » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:19 am

I've always shot best with a 1911 but of course I don't own one.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby assateague » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 am

jehler wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:

May the Swartz be with you.
assateague

Postby jmitch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:46 am

I was in the same situation looking for cheaper gun to start with. I looked at the svde and the sigma in 9mm but then ended up buying a used glock model 22 for a little less money than the shops around me wanted for the cheaper s&ws brand new. So far i really like the glock but I know they are not for everybody. I'm not sure if you are looking at .22s or not, but the ruger sr22 is another gun i was looking at. A little more money than the cheaper s&ws but seems to be a little better gun and as cheap to shoot as your going to find.
jmitch

Postby JGUN » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 am

I have a .45 Kimber CDPII. Matte stainless with black aluminum frame. Great gun, lightweight, super accurate with no problem shooting 50 yards+ with only a 4" barrel. Only problem I've had is with cheap ammo that doesn't have a good crimp and then it didn't want to seat all the way forward. I also have a Ruger mkII target .22 great gun and cheap to shoot. Put a reddot sight on it and watch out small game.
JGUN

Postby rozzo842 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:12 pm

I shoot my 1911 way better than my glock. I think the weight of it helps with muzzle rise. The weight could hinder cc though.
rozzo842

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Don't knock the S&W M&P's off the list. Dads got the full size in .40 and I've got the compact in 9. Plus side to getting it in .40 is you can buy a 9mm barrel and 9mm mags and convert it in just a second. Never had a problem with either of them. 3 different size back straps to fit it to your hand. Ambidextrous on the controls and fairly thin for being a double stack plastic gun.

And if you get a compact, just buy the full size mags and an X-grip mag extension and you can have a full size grip, which is really nice.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:40 pm

assateague wrote:I have a Glock 27 that I've had for a short while, but I love shooting that gun. Never had a problem, other than keeping my wife from blasting through the high-dollar self-defense rounds instead of the practice rounds. I also got an IO Hellcat (very cheap, mixed reviews) .380 not too long ago. I'd be hesitant to recommend it this early, until some problems may have time to show if they will, but I have had zero problems so far with it.

Specifications:

Caliber: .380 Auto
Capacity: 6+1
Sights: Fixed
Length: 5.16"
Width: 0.82"
Height: 3.60"
Weight: 9.40 oz.
Barrel Length: 2.75"
Barrel Material: Alloy Steel
Grooves: 6
Twist: 1:16"

Brass case ammunition recommended. Our Hellcats are testfired with .380 AUTO 95gr. FMC MAGTECH or Fiocchi ammunition.

No Hellcat sales to MD and CA

And you have one how?......
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Interesting. I have no idea. I walked into Gander Mountain and bought it. Hmmm...
assateague

Postby gock5 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 am

Looking at Sig P220 v Glock 17 G4 v Taurus PT 24/7 G2. Comments?
The Most Interesting Man In The World, REX "MOTHER ******" CHAPMAN!
gock5

Next

Return to Handguns & Self Defense