Carry pistol

Carry pistol

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm coming up on turning 21 in a few months and I'm planning on carrying. Been starting to ask around for people's opinions on a good carry gun. I don't want a small caliber, if a time ever arises where I'd have to use it, I want to make sure it will put down the threat. I don't want a gun so small that it's uncomfortable to shoot but I need to be able to conceal it. I prefer a revolver, but will consider autos. Price isn't a huge issue and I want something that won't fail me. But also can't be spending $1,000+ on a pistol. So what's everyone's favorite Carry gun that might work for me?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Carry pistol

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:47 pm

You'll shoot your eye out.

Glock 43 or Smith 642, search over.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Carry pistol

Postby Bad17 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:44 pm

I like Anything Sig in a 40 or 45. I have a Sig tac ops 1911 full size frame. Best advice is Pretty much anything that fits good in your hand and you can shoot it confidently. That's the most important part. Concealing you can figure out after you get it. I use a super tuck from crossbreed. I conceal a full size 1911 with a t shirt.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:43 pm

My current carry gun is a Sig 938.

Regarding caliber and "ability to put down" a threat??
The gun you always carry is the best one to have.
I've have various Fs 45's and 9's and they were a pain to carry because of the weight and size and I found myself not carrying because of the hassle.
The sub-compact 9 is not terribly fun to shoot, but it's not painful by any measure, but mostly is so easy and light it's always with me.

I'd rather have a .22 in my hand than a .45 in my dresser at home
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks for the insight guys. And I get what your saying Dan. I've never tried to carry before so I'm just trying to get all the info I can get before I buy a gun and end up not happy with it. I don't have the funds for multiple pistols right now, so I'm looking for one that's good to carry but also isn't bad to just shoot for fun on occasion.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:44 pm

I carry a Glock 26 everywhere I go.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Nuff, carrying is far more about the holster than the gun. My G26 weighs over a lb and because I have a quality holster you can't even tell. I forget I'm wearing it sometimes.

Look at Comp-Tac. My favorite out of entire drawer full I own.

uploadfromtaptalk1429922725499.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:24 pm

Dan makes a good point. I've been through a glock 27, commander frame 1911, XDs 45 and now a smith 642. It is a big commitment to strap up with your holster every morning and wear it all day. Sure you get use to it but now when I leave the house I drop my 642 in my pocket and roll on. I'm also off and on campus so it also makes it much easier to dump it in the truck and go.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Dan makes a good point. I've been through a glock 27, commander frame 1911, XDs 45 and now a smith 642. It is a big commitment to strap up with your holster every morning and wear it all day. Sure you get use to it but now when I leave the house I drop my 642 in my pocket and roll on. I'm also off and on campus so it also makes it much easier to dump it in the truck and go.

It may make you feel better but carrying inside a pocket is not a quick or a repetitious way to draw a pistol.

You carry a handgun for the ability to use it when the time comes and when that time comes when you're under fire or under stress for what is about to happen, digging in a pocket trying to get a hand on a gun isn't the best option. Just like ankle or pocket book carrying. Carrying in your front pocket is a bad idea and only serves to make you feel better or give you convenience.

If you're going to carry a gun do it right and get a good holster AND BELT then practice practice practice drawing it. There's a reason military and law enforcement uses belt holsters. Their pistol will always 100% be where they expect it to be and when the stress is on muscle memory can take over from you practicing.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:54 am

Colt new agent. 7 months till I turn 21. Hopefully I'll get my NA this summer.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:09 am

I'd disagree, I can have my hand already the grip if I find myself in an uncomfortable situation. Good pocket holster draws smooth. I also don't have to try and get my shirt up then try and get a grip. All about what you are use to
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:39 am

Flightstopper wrote:I'd disagree, I can have my hand already the grip if I find myself in an uncomfortable situation. Good pocket holster draws smooth. I also don't have to try and get my shirt up then try and get a grip. All about what you are use to

I think most pocket carriers under estimate what it's like to be in a gun fight and over estimate their abilities.

A pocket holster is better than off person carry so I'll give you that but you aren't going to be as effective as someone with a IWB holster or even better a standard OWB belt holster.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:29 am

Not that I have ever been in a gun fight or anything close to it. I've had enough training to make me realize that if I were standing in a store and a gunman walked in it wouldn't play out as cool or exactly like we all think it would. Finding my gun is the last thing you would want to be thinking about.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Ruger LCP.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:46 pm

9mm, slim in frame.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby DixieDawg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:04 pm

I really prefer my M&P shield easy to conceal ,easy to carry and great to shoot
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Olly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:53 pm

DixieDawg wrote:I really prefer my M&P shield easy to conceal ,easy to carry and great to shoot

My dad recently got one of these in 9mm. I always liked them, what kind of carry system do you use?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby DixieDawg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Depends on the situation either an alien gear 2.0,shoulder holster or leather pancake holster it's comfortable with about any method
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Tomkat » Mon May 04, 2015 6:20 am

I use the Shield in .40 and the Ruger LCP. Both are good carry guns.
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Mon May 04, 2015 6:31 am

Versacarry for LCP
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430739053.675525.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430739074.562098.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430739092.465805.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430739104.908277.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Tomkat

Postby Woody » Mon May 04, 2015 7:18 am

That looks like a great way to drop your pistol if you are ever in a physical altercation and end up on the ground.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Tomkat » Mon May 04, 2015 8:52 am

Looks can be deceiving. Don't trust your eyes.

That plug that goes inside the barrel fits tight. Gun is very secure.

How many of these have you used Woody?
Tomkat

Postby Woody » Mon May 04, 2015 9:05 am

Tomkat wrote:Looks can be deceiving. Don't trust your eyes.

That plug that goes inside the barrel fits tight. Gun is very secure.

How many of these have you used Woody?

None, that is why I said "looks like" not "is" :thumbsup:
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Tomkat » Mon May 04, 2015 10:37 am

It works pretty good. If u want to try one I will send one to you
Tomkat

Postby Bad17 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:01 pm

TK how well do they work on a full size 1911
Bad17

Postby Tomkat » Mon May 04, 2015 1:27 pm

I don't know because I only take my 1911 to BBQ's. That is open carry :)

But they work great as IWB holsters for fat boys on the 2 carry guns mentioned earlier.
Tomkat

Postby Bad17 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Ok thanks.
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon May 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Bad17 wrote:Ok thanks.

1911's deserve leather.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:32 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

1911's deserve leather.

I prefer kydex
Bad17

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon May 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Bad17 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

1911's deserve leather.

I prefer kydex

Kydex has it's good points I guess.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Next

Return to Handguns & Self Defense