Captain Obvious on Ladies and Handguns

Captain Obvious on Ladies and Handguns

Postby Cox Cypress » Tue May 19, 2015 12:17 am

My experience is find them a FULL SIZE 9mm with a grip small enough to accommodate their hands. Those cute compact and sub compact handguns scare the heck out of them due to less mass and the ensuing Buck and recoil. Don't even think about getting them a snub nose. More mass = less recoil.
Cox Cypress

Re: Captain Obvious on Ladies and Handguns

Postby Goldfish » Tue May 19, 2015 2:22 am

I am yet to see a girl have a proper stance in the first place. They all lean backwards when shooting a gun, not into it like you are supposed to.

Full disclosure, I'm sure there are plenty of girls who have the proper stance, I've just never seen one myself
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Tue May 19, 2015 6:13 am

They make excellent students as they have no male ego to deal with and good eye/hand coordination.

Additionally they listen to what you tell them.

The important thing is to introduce them to shooting slowly and methodically, be patient, get a gun they can handle, and give them lots of encouragement. I start them out with a .22 pistol at 3 yards.
Tomkat

Postby DixieDawg » Tue May 19, 2015 12:15 pm

I see alot of women coming through my carry permit classes most end up shooting one of my. 22 pistols but occasionally I'll get one who takes to it naturally as far as a good ladies gun my wife is an excellent shot with her M&P shield or her .38 snubby I started her like I did my daughters pellet pistol first then .22 then progressed upward from there
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Tomkat » Wed May 20, 2015 9:24 am

DixieDawg wrote:I see alot of women coming through my carry permit classes most end up shooting one of my. 22 pistols but occasionally I'll get one who takes to it naturally as far as a good ladies gun my wife is an excellent shot with her M&P shield or her .38 snubby I started her like I did my daughters pellet pistol first then .22 then progressed upward from there

My neighbors daughter is 23. She is very good with her Glock 19; she shoots it well. Really well.

I am working now with a smaller woman who is brand new to guns and shooting.

She is starting to like it, I moved her up from a .22 to a snubbie and a LC9. She has a ways to go, but the key thing is she is getting comfortable with the safety/handling aspect of it. I have taken a lot of the fear and mystery out of it by moving along slowly and explaining all of the details to her, and giving her lots of encouragement.
Tomkat

Postby DixieDawg » Wed May 20, 2015 9:26 am

Tomkat wrote:
DixieDawg wrote:I see alot of women coming through my carry permit classes most end up shooting one of my. 22 pistols but occasionally I'll get one who takes to it naturally as far as a good ladies gun my wife is an excellent shot with her M&P shield or her .38 snubby I started her like I did my daughters pellet pistol first then .22 then progressed upward from there

My neighbors daughter is 23. She is very good with her Glock 19; she shoots it well. Really well.

I am working now with a smaller woman who is brand new to guns and shooting.

She is starting to like it, I moved her up from a .22 to a snubbie and a LC9. She has a ways to go, but the key thing is she is getting comfortable with the safety/handling aspect of it. I have taken a lot of the fear and mystery out of it by moving along slowly and explaining all of the details to her, and giving her lots of encouragement.

Sounds like you teach along the same guidelines I do and sounds like it's working really well
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Tomkat » Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 am

Agree. It takes time and patience.
Tomkat

Postby Cox Cypress » Sat May 23, 2015 11:52 am

I like the way Gen. 3 Glocks are sprung. It makes it easy for a lady to manipulate the slide. I tell them they were designed to push versus pull and by bringing the handgun in close to the body, placing the passive hand over the top of the slide well away from the muzzle, they can push it in one direction while they push the frame in the opposite direction to chamber a round. Mind you I tell them to be careful where the muzzle is pointed and to turn to their side when in a range so as not to spray the person next to them.
Cox Cypress

Postby Cox Cypress » Sat May 23, 2015 11:53 am

The M&P is sprung realively light as well. The Gen. 4 Glocks and Makarovs are not sprung so lightly IMHO.
Cox Cypress

Return to Handguns & Self Defense