If it's not stainless or plated.
Rick

Re: Looking Ahead to 2018-2019...

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Did you bake Doug a birthday cake?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 am

If it was up to me, he'd have waited for it until July. But Chereaux sent him a funny e-card - or whatever that thing I didn't even know existed until she told me was.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Almost never see bismuth, but both the Hevi- branded stuff and Blackcloud seem very popular, and I've straightened more than few barrels by handing 3 1/2" shooters 2 3/4" Rios.

Never know what camo will show up:
006_5a.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:29 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:Rick - I was curious do many of your clients use Bismuth, Tungsten or Hevi Metal or other exotic shot shells?? Do they have brand new camo and boots??

You just described every client I ever took goose hunting. They stuck me with the richie rich guys from Chicago every time.
Guys that actually bought their new clothes from the club then set themselves on fire with the propane heater. Talking Browning clothes. Not cheap.

The boss caught me toting the fire extinguisher one time and asked what it's for. I just shook my head and said don't ask.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:30 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Marsh Bear wrote:Rick - I was curious do many of your clients use Bismuth, Tungsten or Hevi Metal or other exotic shot shells?? Do they have brand new camo and boots??

You just described every client I ever took goose hunting. They stuck me with the richie rich guys from Chicago every time.
Guys that actually bought their new clothes from the club then set themselves on fire with the propane heater. Talking Browning clothes. Not cheap.

The boss, an ex fireman, caught me toting the fire extinguisher one time and asked what it's for. I just shook my head and said don't ask.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:18 am

aunt betty wrote:Guys that actually bought their new clothes from the club then set themselves on fire with the propane heater.

Doug once promised an 80-something year old physician from Manhattan that we had heated blinds and when pressed to make good on that sales pitch, borrowed an open flamed butane burner with an unshielded reflector from somewhere to send with us. Was cold enough that the geese we found roosted near the blind didn't blow out while I drove Doc to the blind and only grudgingly did so after I parked the truck and walked back.

Long-story-shortened, the good doctor was protective of what little hearing he had left and wore both ear plugs and shooting muffs, then covered by the coyote fur lined hood of a heavy air force(?) type nylon winter parka, and our communication was sorely strained. When the first geese returned, I said "Get ready, Doc" (then probably repeated it louder) and he said, "Okay."

Then when I said, "Go ahead and kill them, Doc" (and probably repeated it louder), he said, "Okay." But never moved.

Not sure how many times we repeated our little "get ready-okay" "go ahead-okay" act without a shot being fired, but am sure that following one of the reps, I turned and saw he'd set his coat sleeve on fire with the open flame. At which point, I swear, I said, "Doc, you're on fire!" and he said "Okay."

Would have been the funniest moment I've ever enjoyed in the blind, if the melted nylon didn't burn to the bone when I put the burning sleeve out with my hands.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:03 am

It was back in the mid-90's. I was a freshman in college struggling to have a good time so I figured "why not" when the club asked me to guide. Watching people set themselves on fire and then laugh about it was really hard to take. I did not last very long because I was taking notes on all the little fibs that the leaders were telling. Then they had the nerve to ask me to try and sell cell-phone minutes and green, or maybe it was blue, algae pills to clients. That was it. No I'm not a sale associate and I had to pay to hunt just like the any other Joe. I only guided a handful of times. We had some success but it wasn't because of anything I did or didn't do. Everyone gets lucky sometimes. The rules of engagement were very strict. (I mean when and when you can't shoot)

Was supposed to preach to my caged audience about the virtues of them algae pills and how they'd have you taking 18" poops in one piece. Serious. LOL
Canton, Illinois. Book a hunt and you can meet the guy.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am

Since joining the goose club I am in and generally being the best goose caller in the blind, not typically a high bar, I've ended up being "guide" a far bit the last few years. I actually really enjoy it. There's just something different about working birds and trying to get them right where you want them so everybody can get shooting. There is also something I enjoy when I am not shooting and can just focus right up until the end on working the birds right until they shooting starts. I would hate being a fishing guide. I've done that, for free, to introduce new people to bowfishing. Didn't like it. But guiding, I could enjoy. Wouldn't want to do it more than a part time hobby type of thing, but the little pseudo-guiding I have done, I have enjoyed.

BTW, right now, I am not a good guide :lol: I see lots of mistakes on my part.
SpinnerMan

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:35 pm

AB: Who is the person you are talking about, I may know them.
Andy

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Andy wrote:AB: Who is the person you are talking about, I may know them.

If really you have to know use pm.
Just cuz I had a bad time doesn't mean that everyone else did.
Apparently that place is still running. My experience was 20+ yrs ago.

Havana eh? Nice....that's some REAL Illinois waterfowl territory.
Banner Marsh much?

Am in C-U.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:33 am

SpinnerMan wrote:There's just something different about working birds and trying to get them right where you want them so everybody can get shooting.

Absolutely. The real sport is in killing birds with whoever walks through the camp door.

SpinnerMan wrote:...right now, I am not a good guide :lol: I see lots of mistakes on my part.

Full-time since 1984, and still a work i progress...

And re: the fishing guide thing, my Capt. Rick phase broke me of fishing altogether. Not sure why waterfowling has been so different, but if I didn't still love it, I wouldn't be doing it and have literally never given quitting a serious thought.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:46 am

"Full-time since 1984, and still a work i progress...

And re: the fishing guide thing, my Capt. Rick phase broke me of fishing altogether. Not sure why waterfowling has been so different, but if I didn't still love it, I wouldn't be doing it and have literally never given quitting a serious thought."

Bummer the fishing guide part of your life took away the "want" to fish, but glad it was strong enough to keep you in the blind chasing waterfowl!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 am

Deltaman wrote:...but glad it was strong enough to keep you in the blind chasing waterfowl!

I'm not nearly as driven to hunt as I once was, as there was a time when I'd hunt every open day of specks - and enough of the more promising blues-only days to support our love of blue breast fajitas, stewed legs and goose gizzard gumbo, as well. Now, my goose-only hunts have become rarer and rarer. Much of that can be attributed to not being willing to subject paying hunters to the sorry remains of our camp's goose holdings and knees that can no longer take kneeling for long periods in spider holes on personal hunts well away from our beat to crap blinds. But the truth is that an hour or so is often enough to satisfy my "gotta hunt," anyway, even when I know staying longer will likely result in a couple of specks.

But just now I'm flat craving it.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:25 pm

But just now I'm flat craving it.[/quote]

...........the want is still strong Obiwan..........kinda like good love!
Can't imagine ever losing it, but know that at some point, I'll be flipping most of that time to fishing, and will hope to make a pay trip to your neck of the woods a time or two instead of fighting the crowds here.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Was a time I'd have bet something nice fishing would be the last to go, but you just never know.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Bass are fun to me. It's sort of like hunting. Get to be on the water smelling the 2-stroke and all that goodness.
Once I get me a better sonar unit where I can find the brush piles and crappie...look out.

Oh. Fourth of July is around the corner. I get so busy alluvasudden it's Halloween.
Probly be putting the blind back on around The end of August.
Not much time for fishin'
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:05 am

Wanted: 2.2L Chevy engine without broken connecting rod.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:58 am

The flex fuel one is only $2500.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Rick wrote:Wanted: 2.2L Chevy engine without broken connecting rod.

AWW! That sucks!
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Hunting engines is hard work and takes a special sort of skill that is only found outside the blind. :mrgreen:
https://www.ebay.com/i/222948853245?chn=ps
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:20 pm

Just one more damn thing. Life's full of 'em, and we live through most.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Did the con rod come thru the block ?
I'll find you an engine but what year and what's it going into?
Sounds like an old S10.
There's a guy in Danville who warehouses stuff like that.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks, AB, but I'm not in a big hurry and want one I can listen to and compression check if possible. (And not have to travel out of state to convince someone of how serious I am about getting my money back if it's junk.)

The "wanted" posting was strictly for giggles at a time when I didn't feel like it. Had just removed the timing chain cover, thinking that the problem, and found chunks of aluminum on the front end of the oil pan. Pretty much has to be a rod.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Rick wrote:Thanks, AB, but I'm not in a big hurry and want one I can listen to and compression check if possible. (And not have to travel out of state to convince someone of how serious I am about getting my money back if it's junk.)

The year and model too embarrassing to reveal?
Are you driving a Firehawk, Firenza, or a Cavalier?
Pontiac J2000? They all use the same engine.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 am

Betty, Betty, Betty, if you'd open your eyes between tokes, you might know I've an ancient S10: God's gift to carrying pirogues around even older protection levees. (Ventures I'm ever so thankful to have been running hard road between when it croaked.)
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:36 am

Had a '80 Toyota 4x4 with a 22R I know what you're saying.
If a blown engine is the biggest problem that you have today then you're lucky.
Get a new/rebuilt engine with a warranty from jegs.
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2017-2018