Preseason...

Preseason...

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:53 am

Couldn't think of a better way to kick off my preseason than with a trip to the mudhole. Or, at least, I couldn't until I got to the boathouse. Can't say I was too tickled to find the front of my boat stall matching the side that blew off a few seasons back:
033a.jpg

But that wasn't as disconcerting as how the roof sagged over it at a splice in its too-long support beam:
039a.jpg

Was better news in the marsh, itself: still precious little salvinia and none of the more dreaded giant version at all - POUND TIMBER.

Was still plenty of black dirt showing and even a couple duck potatoe islands over the now chest deep sludge that will become my pond:
108a.jpg

But the blind wasn't popped by last spring's high water, which is always a plus:
096a.jpg

Won't be too long now before I'll start opening the pond and thinning the canes on the blind's floating island and feeling like September teal season is really coming. But the boathouse roof might not have waited, so I went back and put a brace under the the failing roof support splice and resided the front of my stall while I was at it:
010a.jpg

It's a start.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Re: Preseason...

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 am

She looks tired....
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:42 am

With no real relief in sight.
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:36 pm

DComeaux wrote:She looks tired....

She may be a lil droopy......but what about the sentimental value of the 'ol gal. New fancy sheds with no leaks or leans wouldn't be as much fun

Rick I'm awfully glad that when I show up to my pond, it looks like a pond; your posts like this over the years have made it clear that I plainly take that for granted. Supposed to put eyes on a teal hole or two tomorrow if rain allows

Update: Checked log because I remember you commenting on the lost wall on a morning I hunted east of, and ahead of the front line, while you and your crew endured it. December 22, 2011

Capture.PNG
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Didn't realize it had been that long ago.

(And it's the "sweat equity" that makes the mudhole so dear to me. Would otherwise have long since abandoned it for something to its east. Well, that, and I've a hard time imagining any of our other guys doing what it takes to make it work.)
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:16 pm

Rick wrote:Didn't realize it had been that long ago.

(And it's the "sweat equity" that makes the mudhole so dear to me. Would otherwise have long since abandoned it for something to its east. Well, that, and I've a hard time imagining any of our other guys doing what it takes to make it work.)

Yea I'm sure you might have wondered where Isaac, Clyde, Ed, et al were when it was time to save the shed.....in the heat
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Rick, Is big Dave back with you guys?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:Didn't realize it had been that long ago.

Yea I'm sure you might have wondered where Isaac, Clyde, Ed, et al were when it was time to save the shed.....in the heat

In fairness to the guys, I didn't ask for help, just put that project behind us before it got bigger..
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:56 pm

DComeaux wrote:Rick, Is big Dave back with you guys?

Not that I'm aware of - but I try to be aware of just as little as possible just as long as possible.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Visited one of our usual early teal spots today and found this guy or gal and its mate, but no ducks of any sort:
007a.jpg

and with a cattle egret for size comparison:
010a.jpg
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 pm

it's good to see those birds. The program is is being trimmed due to budget cuts. I copied this from the LA DWF facebook page.

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries - Whooping Cranes

Yes, the Louisiana Whooping Crane project will continue despite the closure of the Patuxent crane program. It's possible we will see a reduction in the number of cranes produced in captivity the first year or two as pairs are moved to new breeding facilities, but with other facilities already set up to rear chicks, we should still receive captive raised cranes for release.
2 · August 2 at 8:25am
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 am

At that size comparison it would seem one could saddle up on a whooper
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:55 am

Was bumping down a narrow marsh levee road in the rain this morning when I caught what sure looked to be a wad of teal dropping below line of sight over the marsh out of the corner of my eye. Never came back up and I assume an illusion of some sort - but still enjoyed the rush.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:34 pm

johnc wrote:Next big moon and North wind ought to get things rolling

Just had big moon Tuesday, next one Sept 6; hope the fronts keep coming. If nothing else keep us cool(er) doing prep work
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:45 pm

How's all this rain affecting rice harvest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Ericdc wrote:How's all this rain affecting rice harvest?

Think the mostly isolated showers have been more nuisance than problem for most in our area - so far.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:01 pm

johnc wrote:Next big moon and North wind ought to get things rolling

I'm going with past history and duck festival week.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 pm

You need to get this guy in your blind.

DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 pm

He could stay home and just send his sack of corn.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Oh yeah. He was so drunk or something like that. Put Southern Comfort on everything.
Those were the days.

I guarantee.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Somewhere out there is a story of two brothers who dressed up like a buck deer trying to lure in a buck to choot.
Lucky they dint get shooted. I guarantee.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:Rick have you seen Justin Wilson's duck hunting story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F4Ws_2XwdU

That's a classic. His daughter, Sara Sue, used to hunt at our camp with an orthopod from N.O. and (in addition to being a statuesque blond) was a hoot when she'd get lit and start on her three ex-husbands: "A," "B" and "C".
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 am

Jarren wrote:He use to live down the road from me...

Ut-oh. The only time I ever spoke with him, he was calling for Sarah Sue to see if someone had a key to her place, so he could move some stuff from his new house - which was flooding.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 am

Reportedly owned a big (currently vacant) house/compound very near one of our favorite put-in spots in St. Tammany Parish. Never saw him, but thats what was always told to me. Grew up watching him since my mom was always tuned in.
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:42 am

Had coffee this morning with the most well connected duck hunter I know, who also happens to hunt one of the first places teal usually take in our area, and he'd only "heard about some near Roanoke," which may well have been the posted Welsh area video.

Haven't been out and about in teal country for a few days, though, so I didn't let that keep the dogs and I from taking the tour this morning. Lots of freshly flooded rice stubble and summer ducks using it, but didn't see so much as a single "might be" teal.

Did see a mess of wood storks:
002a.jpg

Which are birds I'm inclined to think have moved on before teal show. Maybe just poor memory...
Rick

Next

Return to Rick 2017-2018