Preseason...

Re: Preseason...

Postby Bruce Yerkes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 am

Only 6 to come by if my teal button is still lit, and last season was not a fluke. See you Monday bright and early. Thanks so much. :lol:
Bruce Yerkes

Postby Ericdc » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:35 am

You prefer black clouds blindside or hevi metal for your teal hunting needs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:48 am

1 1/4oz 3" !2ga Federal Speed Shok 4s are Bruce's secret weapon, and since they're now in hand, he's without excuse...
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Made a tour of most of our (and sublets) ag land and saw several little bunches of birds like these, so they're around:
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 pm

May fool me when it warms up again, but after umpteen hours of stirring it, I don't think there's enough CO2 left in the Mudhole's bottom to float a turd, let alone bring enough of it up to be an issue:
007.JPG

May have spent so much time on it to put off the treat of trying to thin canes on the blind's flotant "island," but that should provide most of what's needed to brush. Then there's not much more than setting up the blind, putting out decoys and done - assuming I don't get hopelessly mired in the flotant and croak of exhaustion or blood loss to mosquitoes.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Looking real good Rick..... How many orbits did it take, you reckon?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:38 am

A bunch, even with high water - but it sure beat drought years. Woke myself up shivering so hard I bit my tongue about 1this morning and didn't doze again until after 3, so I'll be running late and in slow-mo today. Probably not the best one to be taking on my "island's" floating canes, but time's short and that's where we're at.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 am

Looks great as usual, be careful out there Rick.
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:35 am

May have had a preview of being 105 and still in the marsh: ached everywhere, did everything in slow-motion, couldn't keep the boat off the bank, and the flotant beat me. But we could hunt it as is, if we had to. Feeling a bit better this morning and expect to get it closer to "right".
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 am

Rick wrote:May have had a preview of being 105 and still in the marsh: ached everywhere, did everything in slow-motion, couldn't keep the boat off the bank, and the flotant beat me. But we could hunt it as is, if we had to. Feeling a bit better this morning and expect to get it closer to "right".

Hope it passes quickly Rick!
I get the slow mo thing, and know that once you get back into your "hunting mode", everything will flow much smoother.
Good Luck tomorrow on the opener :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks. Took the dogs for a long walk in the rice and am feeling better for it. Still hazy, but a lot more ready to get after it than yesterday.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:22 pm

No. Just lots of vitamin C and tincture of time.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:23 am

"tincture of time"
Should've been a writer............great phrase Rick!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 am

Take two potassium iodate pills and post on wff in the morning.
According to random YouTube videos...They been using a lot of radiation to create them hurricane storms so they can "rescue" the victims into the fema camps.
Hope you feel mo betta.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 am

Deltaman wrote:"tincture of time"
Should've been a writer............great phrase Rick!

That's from my grandparents' time, and I'm sure they plagiarized it, too.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:03 am

aunt betty wrote:Take two potassium iodate pills and post on wff in the morning.

Hope you feel mo betta.

Thanks, I usually take potassium when working hard in the summer marsh, but hadn't lately. See that what I have is cut/stabilized(?) with gluconate, or some such, not iodate. But I'm definitely on the mend.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:35 am

Jarren and Johnathon got to video nine specks from Gabe's marsh blind this morning, and a Thornwell friend texted that he just spotted 22. Still none seen or heard by me - but looking forward to both.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:44 am

Thought sure I'd heard a speck while setting lines in Cherry Ridge yesterday, but couldn't spot or hear it again with the boat shut down. Perhaps just heard impending engine problems...

But I still enjoyed the adrenaline bump. And it's nice to know the real deal is still ahead.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Been fishing, and like most fishing: lots of little ones for every big one:

033.JPG
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:09 pm

what kind of length on that fella?
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Always wondered how many times Jacob chooted a hole in his dad's boat.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Darren wrote:what kind of length on that fella?

He was broad but just 9'8". Biggest from Cherry Ridge this year by a foot. Might get his daddy tomorrow...

Or more of his grandkids.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Let the guy who fishes our place pass me up a few weeks ago as we were on the way in. He was pulling his lines. We chatted for a while at our little boat landing, and he told me the price wasn't worth the effort so he quit for the season. He did take a few to tan.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:54 pm

We ended up with Cherry Ridge's tags because the fellow who's fished them for years didn't want to bother, and Cherry Ridge wanted the gators gone. Since we pick their eggs, which are worth a whooole lot more than their momma's hide, I've tried to stay away from our best egg areas, while still trying to tag out in three days - with cool nights. Probably going to be close...
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:10 am

ATTENTION ME: Probably should have made note of the timing, 9/6, of my latest experiment with cane thinning, as I believe I waited too late in the growing season for last year's - and maybe again this time.

Was out at the Mudhole breaking up the thick floating black dirt that resurfaced after clearing the pond for teal and poisoning upstart canes on the flotant around the pond when I took a fit to hit most of the canes on the blind's island, too, in hopes of thinner regrowth next season. Hoping to kill most of it while leaving some green to keep the island from standing out as an odd spot, but "We'll see..."
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:04 am

I got my hands on a large hedge trimmer that I'll go through and hopefully make run after it's long shelf stay. It has a double sided blade 24" + in length with large blade openings.
I've never tried this for roseau, have you? I was thinking we could ride it on the ground and move forward, toppling a got bit at a time.

This is the machine
Equipment_Shindaiwa_DH230_Hedge_Trimmer.png
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 am

DComeaux wrote:I got my hands on a large hedge trimmer that I'll go through and hopefully make run after it's long shelf stay. It has a double sided blade 24" + in length with large blade openings.
I've never tried this for roseau, have you? I was thinking we could ride it on the ground and move forward, toppling a got bit at a time.

This is the machine

I use an electric hedgetrimmer for my roseau work, same thing as pictured but rechargeable battery. Can fill my flat boat a couple of times before needing a recharge, love it

This one should do you just fine.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:57 am

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I got my hands on a large hedge trimmer that I'll go through and hopefully make run after it's long shelf stay. It has a double sided blade 24" + in length with large blade openings.

This is the machine

I use an electric hedgetrimmer for my roseau work, same thing as pictured but rechargeable battery. Can fill my flat boat a couple of times before needing a recharge, love it

This one should do you just fine.

Good! I'm going to create a large roseau island. We may not be able to see anything, but hopefully the birds don't either. The little bit of roseau we put for teal has stayed nicely and some have sprouts already.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2017-2018