Looking Ahead to 2018-2019...

Re: Looking Ahead to 2018-2019...

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am

Guy with a side-by-side shot a hole in one of our pits. I'm so glad that I only hunted with him once then asked to be sent somewhere else far away from him. I knew what was going to happen.
It did not take long and I got to say it. "I told you so!".
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am

johnc wrote:damn over and under with "shooting gloves"---giant crock of ****

which is also what I think of face paint---of course I am the odd ball here----I don't think you need any of this if you know how to hide

Reckon that fellow has figured the gloves a good idea since the hunt a few years back when he closed that O/U with his finger on the trigger and its top lever sent him to the ER for stitches when the loose round went off.

And if you're never caught with your head out of the hole by birds you didn't see, you're a better man than me. I'm conditioned to freeze, slowly bow my head and ease on out of sight, but it's not always enough. And I'm just not disciplined enough to stay down and peeking all morning, not even until our 9:30 curfew, not even close. Plus, the mask allows me a whole lot more freedom to know when to what and avoid those "Oh, shit!" moments when a bird that was last seen way up and/or over suddenly beeps right overhead.

But to each his own, if it works for you, it works for you.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:31 am

johnc wrote:I make the blind height with grass nearly the same height as me and Dad SO we can stand and Not be seen near as easily---in fact while out picking up or chasing down birds---I don't even see Dad or my brother in law when out the blind

That would be a definite concealment advantage over the low profile blinds I prefer on ag land. I don't wear a mask under most bundled dead grasses, as my face contrasts less with that than a darker mask, but if we're caught standing by something looking at the rig, we're generally busted.

Re mask comfort, I'd really rather do without any, too, but favor a mesh "3/4" type with wire frames around the eyes to keep it in place and cut a slit from bottom to wider hole at my mouth, so it doesn't interfere with calling. Since I like them, it's no surprise everyone seems to have quit making them and only surprising that I stocked up at Wing Supply closeout prices. Have a buddy whose wife used to make "spitters' masks" with hemmed notches in their bibs to spit through out of that type mask that were great for calling. Being the Haydel's vet, he tried talking them into marketing something similar without success, and I think they missed a great bet.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:40 am

This may be an option for me.
http://www.bunkerhead.com/

Stuff like this is to combersome
815ir56IJpL._SL1500_.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:50 am

johnc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
815ir56IJpL._SL1500_.jpg

wonder if they make this in a grass like pattern?

I see they have several patterns.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am

Have to have a brim to hide my glasses. Spend a lot of time with the brim of my hat sitting on the ledge so I can peek and nothing is showing. Usually have a propane heater sitting next to me and I'm "catching the heat" with that pose.
The dog is what gets me busted.

While searching for the right pic to demo the blind and dog dynamic I found this.
This picture is screaming "check out your water pump guys!".
Now would be a good time.
13124778_1618110195181743_358002245698174707_n.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 am

betty, betty, try to stay on topic. Here we are talking face concealment and you post a picture of an impeller.... :lol:
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 am

The topic is 'looking ahead to 2018-2019".
You got an outboard? Might want to check that impeller.
Face concealment don't matter if your motor fries itself half way to the hole.
Sorry it seems like a valid concern to me.
I hate walking the boat back to the launch thru miles of riprap. Been there done that. 8-)
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:30 pm

johnc wrote:I am usually soaked anyway so I don't know why I am fretting---I wear waders every hunt,teal season included

splashing when chasing birds,good chance of falling in rut,rat holes on levee,,,dirty or muddy blind seat that can mess up truck seats when wearing short boots or hip boots,,i notoriously have to chase something on the other side of a ditch---need the added length----I am usually wet after one retrieve in mild conditions---breathables better but still sweat bad

There I was about to suggest you might benefit from a dog's assistance, when...

aunt betty wrote:The dog is what gets me busted.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:46 pm

John I don't talk to you much because you're way way out of my league (I'm an amateur) but that last post sounds a lot like me.
I insist on participating in the rounding up of the dead ones and cripples. That's half the fun. (plus it's a law that you have to at least try and retrieve every bird)
It's part of the game. Try and stop me. lol

One of the times I got arrested was over a teal I didn't see crash. Later I shot a mallard and when I got to it that teal was floating about 6 feet from it. I had a choice. Pick up the teal or ignore it and either way it was a violation. The Greenhead was #6 in my bag.
Pick your ticket.
I took the expensive one like a fool. Had no idea that Brad was up on the hill with binoculars. Grrr.
I tried to do the right thing by picking up that damned GWT. (#7)
Fucked fucked fucked.
Last edited by aunt betty on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm

DComeaux wrote:betty, betty, try to stay on topic. Here we are talking face concealment and you post a picture of an impeller.... :lol:

Hahaha good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm

My challenge is I hunt clubs, so the blinds are not mine to customize. I will hunt 10 or more different blinds in a season. Early goose, the blinds are not ready to hunt and can be wide open that requires whatever patchwork you can muster in the dark.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:05 pm

That absolutely sucks. I stay pissed off at how some of our genius guide staff treats our shared blinds and set up.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 am

johnc wrote:I am usually soaked anyway so I don't know why I am fretting---I wear waders every hunt,teal season included

splashing when chasing birds,good chance of falling in rut,rat holes on levee,,,dirty or muddy blind seat that can mess up truck seats when wearing short boots or hip boots,,i notoriously have to chase something on the other side of a ditch---need the added length----I am usually wet after one retrieve in mild conditions---breathables better but still sweat bad

[/quote]

Still smiling (well, only kinda-sorta in some cases) over the wild goose chase images that brings back to mind. Most involving a breech of the first rule of dogless retrieving: Never, not ever, leave the blind without a loaded gun and pocket full of shells. Funny as all get out watching someone else try to tackle a goose in the mud but sucks canal water when it's you.

Last time it was me was a few years back:
Waterfowl Activity: Thought the wind might hold whatever blue roost flight there was down enough that I could pull them closer with calling alone. Saw some plainly new ducks, and the roost flight was steady for at least 45 minutes, maybe longer as I left then. First such strong one I've seen this season.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: They didn't beat me up, but calling alone did pull them over and low enough for me to hit the first and only one I shot at.

Dog(s): Had fed Peake before deciding to go, and didn't want to take him on a full stomach. (torsion risk)

Kudos: My calling ploy worked, and it was a heck of a bird show, albeit mostly while I was playing retriever and after shooting time.

Curses: Paid for all the bad things I've said about the coyote lately by having to chase my own dang cripple literally halfway across a very big farm - in boots that weren't tall enough. Dang poorly planned operation.

The log cleaned it up a lot, but the lesson I hope to have learned is never, not ever, to find myself chasing a goose across a largely flooded farm in (and out of) shrimp boots with an empty gun. God made dogs to prevent such acts of self abuse.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:20 am

About that rule...
Was the first one in this area to put a sling on a shotgun. Oh I got laughed at, pointed at, and called Rambo but within two years lots of people were putting slings on.

Why?

Well you get out of the blind to take a piss or take a crap that's when you need the gun. Keep it close.
If you haven't shot a double with your waders around your ankles...
The sling is for when you get out to adjust the decoys or retrieve birds. For some reason that's when they dive-bomb you. I think it's the waves and motion made walking out plus the mud in the water. They're hungry or something.
If you have a sling you can use your hands to move decoys around and you can shoot the dive bombers.

If I had not been using that sling the last three ducks of my Royal Flush wouldn't have made it into my bag. The canvasback, pintail, and widgeon. Imagine having to go aw fuck when they flew by. Yelling at them won't work but you try anyway. :mrgreen:
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am

Why I got a dog.
30 yrs ago I was more of a upland game chaser and got tired of not finding pheasants.
You find way more game, get more shot opportunities, and collect nearly every downed bird.
Old Blackie my first black lab and I filled four grocery bags full of pheasant tail feathers. That dog was epic he pointed them, chased rabbits in circles, and when duck hunting he had the ability to dive down and go get them. Amazing dog...just a natural hunter. I had nothing to do with it other than we hunted constantly. I did teach him his name and fetch. lol

Wasn't long until we jumped some ducks and I remembered how tasty they are so I bought some decoys.
First duck hunts were primitive. Talking a dove seat, 12 decoys, hip boots, shotgun, and a yentzen duck call. I wore a camo oodie and blue jeans until I fond some camo army pants then finally a camo army coat to top it all off.
If it rained it was miserable but I stuck it out and gradually learned by watching other people kill ducks.

Wasn't long before I got a boat. I got where I wanted a roof when it rained duh. A Herter's Hudson Bay which is a tiny little 13.5-foot skiff sort of. Painted it camo. Built a little luan fold-up blind that could be used on shore or on the boat. Stapled burlap and sticks and whatever was handy onto it.
Named it "the minnow". :lol: God that was a fun time when ducks were pretty easy to fool.

I think you should get a dog john. We aren't kids forever and I get that you like the chase. Me too.
I've done some silly dumb things while trying to catch a duck I've shot. It's easier to just point and watch the dog work. Fun too.

It's another thing to hide though. I've seen some weird stuff happen. My second dog Buddy would run back and forth in front of the blind and "flag" ducks. People thought I was nuts but back then crazy stuff worked.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Rick wrote:
Last time it was me was a few years back:
Waterfowl Activity: Thought the wind might hold whatever blue roost flight there was down enough that I could pull them closer with calling alone. Saw some plainly new ducks, and the roost flight was steady for at least 45 minutes, maybe longer as I left then. First such strong one I've seen this season.

Waterfowl Responsiveness: They didn't beat me up, but calling alone did pull them over and low enough for me to hit the first and only one I shot at.

Dog(s): Had fed Peake before deciding to go, and didn't want to take him on a full stomach. (torsion risk)

Kudos: My calling ploy worked, and it was a heck of a bird show, albeit mostly while I was playing retriever and after shooting time.

Curses: Paid for all the bad things I've said about the coyote lately by having to chase my own dang cripple literally halfway across a very big farm - in boots that weren't tall enough. Dang poorly planned operation.

The log cleaned it up a lot, but the lesson I hope to have learned is never, not ever, to find myself chasing a goose across a largely flooded farm in (and out of) shrimp boots with an empty gun. God made dogs to prevent such acts of self abuse.

I remember that entry :lol:

Yes I'm in this boat too......never leave blind to chase a crip without gun and plenty shells, be it field or even in pirogues in the marsh. Even by heading my own preaching, there was at least a few times I was chasing a crip but capable GW teal, woodie or mallard swimming mostly submerged across wide open field flood. And a couple of times fired that last shell and she was still paddling, but I eventually caught up.....cursing, huffing and puffing. But it did save Harry, and usually he was off chasing another one that fell to the volley.
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

All this talk of mud slogging put me in the mood to pull on hip boots and take the dogs out to look at some old crawfish ponds from the inside out. Great off-season exercise that beats snot out of just walking to be sure, but it's still a whole lot handier to say, "Marsh, fetch."

Best part of making today's pass was getting a couple or three dozen blue-wings to pass within gunshot, twice.

Going to meet with a fellow who's inherited part of our marsh's estate in a little bit, and hoping that's just the stated "curiosity" or at least not the start of something mal.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Rick wrote: a fellow who's inherited part of our marsh's estate

OH MY!
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:
In (and out of) shrimp boots with an empty gun. God made dogs to prevent such acts of self abuse.

And a couple of times fired that last shell and she was still paddling,

This happens often when we get some way out in the pond on high wind days. Seems my swatters, on several occasions, had only a couple of three shells which ended up being not enough to do the job. This, from a rocking boat in high winds. The chase with a paddle after a diving duck begins. I would like to film these excursions and play it back at fast speed.

A box of shells go in the boat on a chase from now on. It's a helpless feeling while standing with your hand on the go devil steering arm watching this take place, not to mention the maneuvering in these conditions needed on my end while in pursuit, after that last shell is fired..... :lol: Such a bad feeling....I hate to lose a bird.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Forgot to mention the down side of owning a retriever pet that hunts.
Fur. You'll have fur in your truck. If it's in the house you got a furry house. We deal with it. Owning a rug doctor helps.
Pretty much always got some dog hair on me. Wife loves dogs and they had furry dogs when she was a kid so we're good.
They chew things sometimes too. Milo went thru a phase where anything white was fair game. Tore the labels off everything.
Eventually I got ahead of the curve and tore the labels off b4 he could.
Think he was trying to tell us something?
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to Rick 2017-2018