Getting back in gear

Re: Getting back in gear

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:32 am

Naw, John, he's just really, really bad.

JK, JK. Made a speck hunt with Jarren and DComeaux and was surprised how well they both called. And your blue ground sounds sound great to my ear.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:30 am

Can remember John's mentor, Nathan Wright, recommending working with a spirometer to build wind, but I've no experience with it.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Jarren wrote:So everyone is productive except me.

Send cash. It's always useful.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Jarren wrote:This is the time of year that I’m reminded that the season is not far away. We have our annual gar rodeo and it’s always around the 1st of august when it’s time to start getting prepped for the season.

In other news Johnny got a couple test model decoys painted up this week. I haven’t seen them in person yet but they look ok to me, and much better than they did before

Before
. Image

After

AJ and Erwin went up to the camp and installed a nice stainless sink with a drain in the “cleaning shed”

So everyone is productive except me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a friend paint mine back in the spring, pretty similar. Image

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:19 am

johnc wrote:Jarren,looks like earth brown on the backs of the birds,did they just spray it on those already flocked birds?

I hate flocked decoys,certainly won't buy them,but I won a dozen FFD Avery's I need to paint to match the entire spread---I would like to just spray the backs to match my other decoys is why I ask.

John why the disdain for flocked decoys?
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:47 pm

johnc wrote:Fade easy in sun as I leave decoys out

Ohh ok. I actually love them for the realism but yea you’ve got to protect (baby) them and can’t leave out. Sold my FFDs to Eric since I was using my buddy’s set last season but think we may try our numbers spread this year with all the non-flocked dekes we’ve got.

Now GHG is offering about every species of duck floater they’ve got in flocked. :roll:
Darren

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:18 am

johnc wrote:i won some kind of new fancy avery mallard decoys too,didn't look if flocked or not---pro grade XO?

i doubt i even see a mallard until after thanksgiving is the usual timeline and any specks killed before the week of thanksgiving are bonus too---

kind of leary of putting out mallards until second split---other ducks will say what the hell are those greenheads doing there,that aint real

John you are not reading the latest reports, you cannot put mallard decoys out at all, ducks are hip to that game, they know no mallards are to be found in Louisiana. :D
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

johnc wrote:kind of leary of putting out mallards until second split---other ducks will say what the hell are those greenheads doing there,that aint real

:lol:

Just put out the hens like I do for teal season :thumbsup:

And definitely take my advice on teal because one day I will actually shoot a teal during teal season :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 pm

johnc wrote:
Darren wrote:
johnc wrote:i won some kind of new fancy avery mallard decoys too,didn't look if flocked or not---pro grade XO?

i doubt i even see a mallard until after thanksgiving is the usual timeline and any specks killed before the week of thanksgiving are bonus too---

kind of leary of putting out mallards until second split---other ducks will say what the hell are those greenheads doing there,that aint real

John you are not reading the latest reports, you cannot put mallard decoys out at all, ducks are hip to that game, they know no mallards are to be found in Louisiana. :D

I have decided to do a dedicated spoon spread. That’s all I expect.

If I was on big flat water in a bean field,it would be spoons and scaup spread from hell

It would kill ducks dead; not all too many others are doing that

Would welcome anyone to throw the field spread we’ve been running another dozen or three spoon dekes
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 am

johnc wrote:They appear when working geese and like to taunt us lol

I can send you some guys to break your spoons of that with gunfire.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 am

Though the specks are more of a treat for me, I appreciate the guys who respond to the question of whether they want me work the specks or ducks when both are on hand with "We just want to shoot." At least they're honest about it.

Those claiming "specks" all too often start popping up and down out of the blind like a Whack-a-Mole game as ducks pass - if they don't just go ahead and blast away at the ducks that I probably could have given them a much better chance at, had I known they couldn't or wouldn't hold their water. Happens often enough to exert strong influence on whether I'll give passing specks a go in the first place.

(That, and the amount of gunfire in the marsh that morning. Whole lot easier to horse ducks in between neighboring volleys than specks. 'Least for me.)
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:33 am

Haven't seen one of my parties cut seven specks from a flock in way, way too many years. Figure we're a speck ahead of par any time three fall.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 pm

Jarren wrote:The season is getting close and I’m getting antsy. I need to try and nail down a teal hunt or two, get some maintenance work done on my 4 wheeler, clean guns and order new butt pad, inventory my hunting gear and clothes (still not sure what’s there or not from the flood), and it wouldn’t hurt to knock the rust of my calls, shooting, and maybe work the dog a little.

I would like to shoot a speck in the face.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:30 pm

DComeaux wrote:I would like to shoot a speck in the face.

Nothing else really counts. Difference between just killing specks and finishing specks is night and day.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Rick wrote:

Nothing else really counts. Difference between just killing specks and finishing specks is night and day.

That's what it's all about. A person should be jailed for skybusting these wonderful fowl. I was upset, but yet happy that one of the birds from a flock harassed by the skybusters about a mile to our north east in Gueydan fell in our field. I wonder how many never get retrieved. Then there was the cripple walking on our marsh road two years ago with a couple of large pellet holes in the breast that were gangrenous. This really bothers me.
DComeaux

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:07 am

Rick wrote:

I'd be happy to shoot one any way I can. Never got one and the only time I see them is out of town spring snow goose hunting. Obviously feet down coming to my call is way better, but I'd be happy as a clam to pass shoot one.
SpinnerMan

PreviousNext

Return to Jarren 2017-2018