Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Jarren wrote: As for the quickly approaching teal season, Douglas has said he will fix us up with something and to come on down to the camp and don't worry about anything. It will be interesting to see how this goes...

Let's just hope it's not "interesting" in the Chinese curse sense of the word...
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Could be:
P1010296.jpg

or could be off the skeet tower.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Jarren wrote:Gladly take that, and will make sure to leave the full choke at the camp if that's to be the case.

If they aren't right and tight, we'll bring 'em around and make 'em so. Ain't no place for tight chokes.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:58 pm

I used the vibrate to force fetch and switched to "beep beep" when he got it.
Started out shocking on lowest setting to force fetch and gradually went down in stimulation to where the beeper keeps him focused. He did not like it much but it had to be done. Keeping him focused was tough for about 3-4 years.

I'm an amateur with a pet that hunts (rock-dog) so maybe I should stay away from giving retriever advice.
Take it with a grain of salt.

Rock-dog:
You toss a rock on the line you want the dog to take. My dog has so much faith in that rock that he'll swim to the other side of the lake because he knows there's a duck ahead. Not exactly copisetic but it works for me.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:07 pm

I've a friend who's named each of his last however-many dogs Rock for just that reason.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Shoulda called him "lazy fucker" because he'll always go to the dead close one and let the swimmers go no matter how much hollerin' I do. :clap:

So I shoot swimmers like 4 or 5 times then start throwing rocks.
It can get crazy in my boat when milo breaks and there are two limits on the water. It happens.

What really makes me furious is when he picks up a live one, brings it to shore, lets it go to fetch another and then the first one disappears. Explaining how you "found" one later that you thought was lost might not fly too good.
What sucks even more is when the guys from the blind over bring one back that got away on us. They tend to be uppitty about it around here. Down south it's different. We all work together and retrieve each others birds all the time.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 am

I'm a little jealous of whoever posted it. Pretty sure the first reliable report I heard last year was from an old boy above Welsh Haven't heard so much as an unreliable report here yet.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 pm

"Soonbill adventures" - never heard of 'em but love the name.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Just watched the video. Maybe it's my non Louisiana eyes but those didn't look to be zipping around like blue wingers. Could've just been blurry video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having just done so myself, I think you've a good eye. Acting like big summer ducks - at least in that short clip.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:54 pm

aunt betty wrote:Shoulda called him "lazy ****" because he'll always go to the dead close one and let the swimmers go no matter how much hollerin' I do. :clap:

My dog lived for cripples. She obligingly went and picked up dead ducks, but put one on the water still kicking, she gave it every thing she had to the point where she would start barking because she couldn't swim fast enough :lol: Everybody around knew when I had cripples on the water :lol: :oops:

At shooting time plus a few minutes, we dropped a pair of wood ducks in the near dark against the far shore. My dog apparently only saw the dead one. She swam over and picked it up in knee deep water. When she turned around, she caught sight of the cripple. She heaved the dead duck in her mouth back over her shoulder and went tearing after the cripple. It was so funny. Get this damn dead duck away from me, there's a live one I need to go catch. :lol:

I miss having a dog, but I just don't have time for one. Wish we could have got a little business for yours. I always was more aggressive at getting at least one bird when I had the dog.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Watched the video, skeptical myself. Though does seem like an awful lot of summer ducks for one place. Sure weren't zipping and diving low like the videos Rick usually has that we drool over
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Darren wrote:Though does seem like an awful lot of summer ducks for one place.

Shoulda seen 'em at Jarren's old Marceaux blind the other day.

Here's a comparison video with a mess of each:

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Might well be teal. All I'm certain of is that my last "must" project before shifting gears, washing the house, has been rain delayed three times today and may well carry over to tomorrow. This round just won't let up.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:22 pm

All I need do is think of y'all's water woes this past year, and mine dry right up.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 am

If I don't get some rain soon I'll have to buy 1000 pounds of sugar and start feeding my bugs.
It's so dry my pumpkins and watermelons died.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:54 am

A gauge here in town showed 7.5" in a couple hours yesterday that you'd of been welcome to. (And next to nothing a few miles out of town.)
Rick

Next

Return to Jarren 2017-2018