Getting back in gear

Re: Getting back in gear

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Jarren wrote:Last year I basically took the year off. I made one trip to Arkansas and a couple teal hunts and that was it. This year I should have a little more time to make some hunts. I got a spot in NE Arkansas with my Jonathan this year and I’m looking forward to making a few trips back up there. I’ll try and figure out a couple hunts a little closer to home too.

We have a few speck decoys to get painted that are flocked so I’ll need to figure that out. Feels good to have something waterfowl related to do again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see you're getting back after it!
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Leasing a pit up there?

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Jarren wrote:
Ericdc wrote:Leasing a pit up there?

It’s a whole farm with multiple blinds and a handful of people from down here.

Good deal. I have some friends that do that in McGehee area.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Got in with AJ and Erwin? (Oh, and it's good to see you're still around.)
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:10 pm

johnc wrote:
Jarren wrote:
Rick wrote:Got in with AJ and Erwin? (Oh, and it's good to see you're still around.)

Yep

Got an early season in October!!!

For specks?

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 am

johnc wrote:Yes for specks and they will have them in NE Arkansas especially fresh floods

Found it. Interesting

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Too bad (waterfowl hunting-wise, otherwise awesome) I knocked the wife up back in January and the little one is due that weekend. No specks for me!

Congratulations and condolences.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Duck Engr wrote:That is interesting. Took the days off of the front end and moved them to the last weekend of October.

Too bad (waterfowl hunting-wise, otherwise awesome) I knocked the wife up back in January and the little one is due that weekend. No specks for me!

I figure there might have been a lot of duck hunter wives “knocked up” back in January during the deep freezes.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Ericdc wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:That is interesting. Took the days off of the front end and moved them to the last weekend of October.

Too bad (waterfowl hunting-wise, otherwise awesome) I knocked the wife up back in January and the little one is due that weekend. No specks for me!

I figure there might have been a lot of duck hunter wives “knocked up” back in January during the deep freezes.

:lol:

Definitely interesting to see an October season for a neighboring state. Figuring on the following:

1.) Additional early pressure will help move birds to Louisiana whereas same birds of previous years stayed put unpressured? Maybe

2.)Adds to pre-education of birds prior to arrival in La, whereas same birds knew no different in prior years with no one shooting at them before early-mid Nov

Maybe combination of both but makes a lot of sense given sheer number of specks staging in AR these days
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:25 pm

On the topic of paint, I've bragged on how well Tanglefree speck floaters have held up and must now admit the pressure washer made a liar of me. Some were fine and some flaked big time, reminding me of GHG decoys that's paint adhesion seemed dependent on the batch.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Actually got 'the paint lady' at the union paint store to take me seriously and talk paint until she found out I was painting plastic duck decoys (for hunting) then I had to go. Non-union P.O.S. amateur in a union paint store what was I thinkin'?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Next

Return to Jarren 2017-2018