Post season

Re: Post season

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:33 pm

In late July I start sending the wife to work with a big bowl of cherry tomatoes every day. Large group of hospital maint. staffers. They eat them like candy and they're going to pitch a bitch if I ever stop. They'll miss me when I'm gone. :mrgreen:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Post season

Postby Ericdc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Wife and one of her good friends went shopping today over in Texas somewhere, one of those trade day flea market deals...so I decided instead of sitting at the house all day to ride up to the farm.

Old field has just recently been planted in rice. Image

Kinda thinking our field might be in for a makeover, ran into one of the farm workers who was on a tractor making “water furrows” in our old field. Asked him if he knew what was going to be done on our field on the south end since the bean rows from last year had been disced. He said he had heard something about re doing the field and putting a turn row across it. If that’s the case I guess we’ll do the best we can with it.

Kinda doubt they are going back with beans if they disced up the old rows, and the bean field next to us was already replanted it looked like on the same rows from last year.

Called the guys and told them what I saw and heard, they were a little bummed out about the prospect of hunting a fallow field and the possibility of the blind being put in a turn row, but I don’t think it’s going to be a deal breaker for our group.

I know a lot of guys who do well hunting blinds in turn rows. We’d still have water on both sides of the blind.

Pros: less wear and tear on wheelers driving through flooded field.

Not as much mud to deal with around the pit.

Probably easier to hide than what we ended up with last year for most of the season, when our freshly pulled levee shown here in early November was eventually flattened by waves and we ended up with basically an island.

I figured they were going to try to fix the rutted up area behind the pit, (done by it’s previous renters, not us) since it wasn’t planted last year, and just grew up in weeds.

It’ll be what it’ll be, I’m thankful for a spot to hunt that’s in a good flyway and a place that can be very good when we do our part and get a little help from the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Replaced the splash guards on the Honda. Much needed ImageImageImage

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Don't see turnrows here, and your bean farming may differ, too, but when beans are planted on raised rows here, everything's disked and begun anew.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Not a road for pickups or farm trucks but wide enough for a UTV or ATV.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 am

New fenders looking good!
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:41 am

Ericdc wrote:Not a road for pickups or farm trucks but wide enough for a UTV or ATV.

Please let it go...lol
Ducaholic

Postby Ericdc » Tue May 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Update on our farm:

Our field has been disced again, getting real dry up here for early may. Talked to our landowner today and he said he’s getting the field re leveled, putting an east to west turn row through it, so the blind will be placed in it and face north instead of west, and it will be planted in beans.

He explained that the area around the blind had gotten “wallowed out” so bad the last several years (not our doing last year, the damage was already done), that he wasn’t able to irrigate it properly and now it will be able to grow rice again next year.

He did call the “levee” a turn row so....there’s that heh.

Glad to know we will have a crop on it though.

Old field looks good though, I figure they’ll be putting water on the rice within a month. Image

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Tue May 08, 2018 7:01 pm

Was looking at timber in chicot county Arkansas today, you can see the highway 82 Mississippi River bridge from a long ways. Image

Our field before it’s makeover

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed May 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Got some good news on the lease. They got the turn row put in and the blind re situated . North side is rice and south side is beans. Ridge went by this evening and took this pic facing west where turn row starts.

Didn’t expect any rice this year but I guess they changed their minds. We did a lot better on specks the 2 years we had some rice to hunt over as opposed to beans last year.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Wed May 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Good deal. Bet that got the spirits a little higher amongst the guys in the lease. What is everyone’s feelings on the new blind position?

Yes morale is higher. Glad they got it done and planted during this dry spell.

Our old blind faced north and we liked it a lot. On a hard north wind birds would suck in right behind the pit real nicely, or pitch right over the blind and decoy with their backs to us...

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 24, 2018 8:59 am

Blind is in the new permanent “turn row” that runs east and west across the field.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 24, 2018 10:23 am

johnc wrote:Well that will be interesting

Hopefully we can seed it this summer with something. Now it’s similar to a lot of setups I’ve seen up here and in Arkansas.

I know Darren is in a similar setup at bunkie.

It’ll make getting to and from the pit easier without rutting up the field.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 am

It’ll be better than being on an island in the middle of a bean field like we were for most of last season after the waves flattened the levee that was pulled to the blind post harvest.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 24, 2018 1:47 pm

johnc wrote:They see farm like road and elevate here but like I said,different ballgame

Yea we will see. I know several folks who hunt similar setups in our area and SE Arkansas and they do very well.

It’ll be different that’s for sure.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 pm

The most pathetic looking pit in Arkansas is near a small town called Grubbs and it's pretty grubby.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Levee width, for reference

IMG_6134.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Darren wrote:Levee width, for reference

IMG_6134.JPG

I wish we had more fields in our area that looked like that in the fall.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Thu May 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Ericdc wrote:
Darren wrote:Levee width, for reference

IMG_6134.JPG

I wish we had more fields in our area that looked like that in the fall.

Noticed late season fair many geese piling up on the levees, presumably picking at the green shoots n such. This levee was pretty white in feathers late in season. The geese eventually tore up all the stubble by the very end and the water levels rose so you didn't see that stubble any more.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Thu May 24, 2018 5:52 pm

johnc wrote:Only blinds I have hunted for in such a situation results in the specks initially responding beautifully then hanging up at 50 and you either shoot then that way or watch. Ducks were no problem.

But that’s me,I have killed a ton in Arkansas in a big flat water bean field with an island blind and decoys basically all around because the levee washed out

Winks’s pit is on a wide road with a ditch behind and he kills specks,May not be in ur face but he kills

Well u know I like to finish them (specks), and probably cost myself birds every year by being that way, so we’ll do the best we can to blend the pit in and roll with it.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri May 25, 2018 5:35 am

Ericdc wrote:...so we’ll do the best we can to blend the pit in and roll with it.

If your "turn row" is like Darren's levee road, you'll probably want to think in terms of blending its surroundings with the pit, rather than the other way around.

These guys didn't in their "bad location":

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 am

At least in our part of the state, blinds have to be down off the side of levee roads for obvious reasons, and even if the farmer doesn't often drive it and will forego maintenance mowing to leave cover on it, said cover is more bane than boon. Geese will be leery of predator's there, it will restrict the hunter's view to that side of the pit, and 180 degrees of the pit will still stick out like the proverbial turd in a punch bowl:

CIMG1996a.jpg

That's a different angle of the blind in the video, and the road's maintained, but it does show the issue I'm speaking to.

The geniuses who built that monument to whackers would still be hunting the spot and tickled with it if, instead of making the blind that much more obvious, they'd scrapped the panels they were no doubt proud of, brushed the pit with a layer of wax myrtle boughs and then made what appeared a grown-up ditch or fence line with clumps of the same running in line with it along the road. Super easy, given the levee road's access and the blind all but disappears.

Same fake old "ditch" or "fence row" is the best way I know to make what would otherwise be more suspicious island blinds in flooded pasture appear much less like what they are.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri May 25, 2018 6:48 am

Damn that's great thinking. Have driven around enough to have seen some awful pits in awful places that stuck out so bad that I could spot them from a mile away. As a kid I managed to always be able to locate my home made layouts in place like you just described.

Around here the guys who hunt Canada geese either are wise and use that sort of tactic or are fools that setup on the roost right in the middle sticking out like a sore thumb. I guess if you just want to shoot your two geese real quick and fuck everyone else you shoot the roost. Have seen it play out way too many times. All you can do is shake your head and mutter "dumb asses".
They had permission so...
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri May 25, 2018 7:52 am

Another favorite whacker monument I ran into while looking for the above example's pic:

P1000676a.jpg
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to Ericdc 2017-2018